Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new RGB projector

Default My new RGB projector

Last saturday i went to Dixiscan and we started working on my new projector.
    The basis for this projector is the RG projector i bought from Edison.
    In that projector is a:
    Green Laserwave 500mW doing 690mW
    Red Kvant (642/640?nm) 600mW doing 640mW

Dixiscan and i put in the 510mW blue 473nm RGB Lasersystems module i bought.

First we took out the spacelas board taking up way too much space, i needed the space for the blue driver and powersupply ! First we fitted in the blue module:

We modified the baseplate so the connector could go through.
    On the other side i fitted a (temporary) 12V supply, the blue RGB Lasersystems module needs 5.7A of 5V and 1A @12V (for the TEC), in the top right corner you see the temp. 12V which i took out of a Blackbox switchbox for pc's ;-)

Then our time was up and the next day i continued to build. Dixiscan was so nice to let me borrow his small smoke machine. Although it not continually blew smoke in my room, but in little puffs, it filled up quite nice and quite quickly, the beams just looked gorgeous ! When all was aligned it was time to fire her up. After i adjusted the dichro's as good as i can i ended up with a nice white beam. I measured it up with my Laserwave meter, after having warmed it up.

1204mW, wow 1,2Watt of whitelight coming out of my projector after optics !
    And that's with the OLD laserwave dichro's ! Soon i hope to upgrade to the new, i must see an improvement i hope !

This is one of the pictures i really like:

You can see all the colors forming nicely. Also notice that the red Kvant is made of out of multiple dots.
    On the dichro you can see 2x3 dots.

Here's my 1.2W deathray:

And some RGB:

A multicolor tunnel:

Rasterscanning a picture of myself...

A new thumbnail picture ?

This one i also really like, nice vibrant colors.

And a last one:

Mind you that actually the blue is too high located, it's beam is on 31mm above the beamtable.
    The laserwave is at 29mm if i am not mistaken and the Kvant i have to look up.
    So i will cut some metalplates 2mm thick and place those below Kvant and the Laserwave Green.
    That way my alignment , which already looks nice, will even look better.

Keep you posted but this will make up a nice projector to go with my 2x 1W greens i think....
    Thanks for your interest, open to any suggestions or questions !

If anyone can explain to me how to link to photos in the gallery i would love that very much, so they show up here ?
    I will then place a warning that it's a heavy to load page, but it's easier then.
    Choosing the insert image and pasting the link doesn't work since the photogallery page is an HTM and not a pic... ;-(
    Last edited by hobbybob; 02-24-2010 at 10:44.
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Looking brill Dimitri!
    A really nice, clean build.

I can't wait to see it at one of the meets?
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

I will bring it along ofcourse for UKLEM Surfleet ;-)
    I didn't fail !

Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post
    I will bring it along ofcourse for UKLEM Surfleet ;-)
    very well done RGB projector,love it.
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Did you buy that blue module new?

Very nice projector Dimitri, will look superb with a pair of green wingmen!

Quote Originally Posted by FourDee View Post
    Did you buy that blue module new?
    Nope, it's a module that has been refurbished at RGB Lasersystems.
    I came from a 3,8W RGB lasersystems RGB laser, there were 4 blue modules in there, 2 big reds and a green, totalling 3,8W.
    The projector now outputs 5W RGB. The company i got it from had all 4 blues refurbed and i bought one.
    It outputs 510mW and i got the module with the nicest beamspecs (handpicked...) ;-)

I also still have a 250mW Laserwave blue and a 300mW (doing 430mW) green from Phritzler that i will use to built a second RGB. I also have another Raytrack 35plus scanset, so all i need is another red. Which, in my opinion can be a "lower" end red than the Kvant, so i will try and toss something together.
    I also still have an RGB lasersystems RED, but that monster draws 18A at 12V and produces a lot of heat. It's 635nm and outputs 600mW (used to do 1,5W!) so it would be ok, but i am investigating if i can re-use the optics to built something with 8 DVD burner diodes to get it to 2W (before optics) and maybe outputting something like 1,5W again (but then in 655/660)
    That i will have to give some thought, but would be nice if it works and not sure if that's working, else a quad setup would be nice and then over time swap out the red's for 640nm maybe if money permits.

So will start soon on the second projector, since i got all the parts needed except the red ;-)

Thanks for all the nice comments ;-)
    Keep them coming.... and if someone can explain how to add pictures, i am still interested.
    If i upload them from my pc, will they be stored and shown in the topic directly , or added as an attachment ?
    Since i prefer the first.
    I didn't fail !

Cool

Very nice projector! Really looking good in those pictures... Your alignment appears to be perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post
    If anyone can explain to me how to link to photos in the gallery i would love that very much, so they show up here ?
    It's easy. Open a second tab (or window) and navigate to the page in the gallery that shows your picture. Now right click on the picture itself and select "Copy Image Location". Now flip back to the window where you're composing your post and click the "Insert Image" button. Click on the "From URL" tab. Now paste the image location into the URL text box. Finally, be sure to uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" check box. Now click the "insert image" button at the bottom, and you're done. The image will appear in-line in your post, without forcing people to load up the thumbnail browser.

Adam

Thanks Adam,

Will change my post in when i have some time on hands.
    So people can enjoy the pictures that i am proud of ;-)

Funny about the alignment is that it looks really really cool (at least at 5m distance) but that actually when you look into the dichros when i draw a white circle that you see on the last dichro that blue is hitting it ABOVE the green and red which are nicely on top of eachother.

But it looks mighty fine. I will however raise the other 2 lasers by 2mm and if needed also the dichro's.
    But i thought you need to hit the dichro smack in the middle for best result, but that doesn't seem to be, the angle is more important than the location where you hit the dichro i was told ?
    I didn't fail !

No, not quite. If the spots are not overlapping on the dichro, then your near field alignment is off. You may not notice it right at the aperture, but over a very long throw it will probably become apparent.

However, if you have the far-field aligned perfectly, then it's possible that the natural divergence of the lasers will overcome the slight misalignment in the near field. The beams will be separated but otherwise parallel, so as they diverge they will blend together.

But for correct alignment, the spots must be overlapping and concentric at the dichro face. Then you adjust the angle of the dichro to bring the beams into alignment in the far field.

Adam