Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New ILDA Membership Category proposed

Lightbulb New ILDA Membership Category proposed

Hello Everybody,

As President of ILDA, I am exploring the possibility of adding a new membership category to the organization. This would be a category for hobbyists or amateurs.

It is kind of a touchy subject, because there are some professionals who do not want to rub shoulders with amateurs. We have lost some of our larger members in the past who did not think that ILDA was professional enough. However, in my time spent on PhotonLexicon, I can see that the enthusiasm and attention to detail matches what I have seen in many professionals. I think we should all be together.

I am interested in any comments or suggestions that you may have. Especially what to call this - amateurs or hobbyists.

Here is a what I'm working with so far:

Proposed ILDA Membership Level - "Hobbyist" or "Amateur"

I want ILDA to be an organization for laser display at every level, from the living room laser experiment, up to the biggest Olympic/Super Bowl extravaganza, because the magic of lasers can shine through even the smallest display.
    Up until now, ILDA has been an organization of and for professionals. I believe that it is time for ILDA to embrace a new category of membership, the "amateur" or "hobbyist" category.

In the 21st century, laser show equipment has become easier to purchase and handle, and more people are enjoying this equipment than ever before, as amateurs. This in no way threatens the livelihood of laser display professionals, but may actually increase the potential market for them.

This new class of laserists is searching for information about laser display, especially laser safety, and looks to ILDA for leadership. I propose that ILDA take steps to be the source for laser safety and other related information to amateurs, by creating a new category of membership for them, and providing them the information and leadership that an established organization can supply.

ILDA provides:

• $50 membership fee
    • Set up a Hobbyist Committee to give input to ILDA Board
    • Set up a basic safety course for hobbyists to take and learn about laser safety

Advantages:

• Enter ILDA Awards - we're looking for the best, & will create a new entry category for amateur work (w/ paid entry fee)
    • ILDA discounts (if vendors agree)
    • Attend Annual Conference
    • Receive all ILDA announcements and publications (if any!)
    • Learn about laser safety from peers (some kind of certificate of attendance)

Goals:

• To provide amateurs who wish to be professionals an opportunity to network with professionals, and find encouragement
    • To provide amateurs a way to gain recognition and exposure for their work
    • To expand the information pool available to all laserists

Limitations:

• No ILDA voting for this membership level
    • No professional work done by members at this level

That's it! Let me know what you think.

Tim Walsh
    ILDA President
    Professional laserist since 1983 (hobbyist was never an option for me.....)

Hi Tim

Excellent idea

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Sounds like a great idea to me.

EXCELLENT idea, Tim!!

And VERY timely, considering all the forum discussions currently going on concerning variances & other legalities!

You've got my vote!!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

This sounds great. As you are probably aware, there are quite a few of us. Will members get to proudly wear the 'ILDA Amateur Memeber' logo and designation? Perhaps taking the course should be mandatory?

excellent idea.

but shortly im gona be running a hobby web site for my hobby stuff and a "professional" site for proper shows. so i can join both?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Great idea! Where do I sign up?

Hopefully this becomes a reality.. I think it could be beneficial both to the amateur community and ILDA.

I think this is a great idea! I think, though, that there should be a more established line between Pro and Amateur. If I go out and do a paid show once every couple months, does that qualify me as a Pro? I wouldn't consider myself a Pro unless I quit my day job and made a living on laser shows, which isn't going to happen for me! I really appreciate the consideration though, I hope that this does become reality.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I think this is a great idea! I think, though, that there should be a more established line between Pro and Amateur. If I go out and do a paid show once every couple months, does that qualify me as a Pro? I wouldn't consider myself a Pro unless I quit my day job and made a living on laser shows, which isn't going to happen for me!
    i was just looking at how much it costs to join and $250 a year.........

ill pass thanks, if im lucky i will do a show once a month. that does not justify me spending $250 on ilda membership.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hi Tim, I would love to join the ILDA in this new category with the reduced rate. I'm curious about the limitation though:

Quote Originally Posted by LaserWizard View Post
    Limitations:
    • No professional work done by members at this level
    I plan to use my projector in public venues when my friend's bands play, and take a cut of the door. I'm not looking to make a lot of money this way, but I would like to offset the costs of this expensive hobby .
    Does this make me a professional and thus ineligible for amateur membership?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by blowfly; 03-11-2010 at 11:45.