Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser Physics Reliant 300WC

Lightbulb 3 hole ring collar

I have a 1000m that was under powered 650mw or so. After looking at how the tube looked like that of a JDSU head, I took a plastic rod and pushed on the end of the tube and the power shot up to 850mw. So after taking a dead uniphase hene apart I found the 3 hole rings, had to drill them out to fit on the reliant, but after it was all done it's now doing 1.2 watts!!!!
    And I have found that the clear acrilic paint brushes work great as a alinement tool just cut the metal part off and just push it on a drill to crurve it and that why your are safe from the high voltage.
    DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Thanks for the info!

I have been wondering where to get a locking collar, I was pondering making one in the machine shop but haven't found the time. Do you happen to have any to spare?

Laser Warning Help wanted !!!

hi everyone,
    I have a 300wc ,too.Non woking .
    could anyone tell me whats on TP1 to TP2.(testpoint or bridge)
    The tube is starting but there is no Voltage like 150Volt ,there is nothing.
    I´ve checked out all the parts of the psu everything seems to be O.K. .
    If anyone could please take some photos of the connections on the board ,that would be great.
    The tube seems to be O.K. i see the plasma burning(when ticking sounds) and the kathode heats up.
    But all the time there is no voltage .
    Hope someone can help me.

Thanks a lot .
    The last one turns off the internet!

Cool

Ive got the 1000m, not sure if the boards are the same but I can take some pics if you want me to
    Now about the clicking.. Im not an expert, but with mine it does the same thing when you cold start it. The first time I start it, it will click click,so I just slowly turn the knob up untill it lights then turn it back down umtill it heats up,then I put it at the power I need

About the rings,
    Ill look and see if I have some laying around, if not I would look on ebay for the JDSU HeNes with the 12v PSU built in. I call them the candle sticks..lol

Hope that helps!
    DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Thanks DJ Matt,

My board was home repaired by someone who has no idea what he was doing,
    so I replaced all parts that were home made and than checked that there is no
    Voltage on the Tube (It will not start untill there is Voltage).So my Problem is that the
    passbank will not connect through .The starterboard-relay was bridged by the guy and thats why it was ticking (no original function)
    I know I have to check all the IC´s and Interlocks ,have ordered them new and will replace everything , but one IC i did not find (labeled:HMI02 CS9240J) it seems to be for the regulation ,that could be the failure.I´ll see soon.
    Some pictures from every place on the board would be nice.Thanks DJ Matt.

If anyone has a non working Reliant-Laser(any modell has the same IC`s) please mail me PM i´ll buy it for parts.

Thanks Matt, but my one wants a lot of repair before it will lase,and I would not repair an argon Laser if I don´t knew how it has to work,it´s dangerous high voltage.
    But as the tube is gas intact it will be worth it.
    best regards
    Last edited by lasermarcus; 12-06-2010 at 16:21.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I know I have to check all the IC´s and Interlocks ,have ordered them new and will replace everything , but one IC i did not find (labeled:HMI02 CS9240J) it seems to be for the regulation ,that could be the failure.I´ll see soon.

End quote

CS9240J is part of a family of "hysteretic current controller" by the defunct Cherry Semiconductor.
    The last time I needed one, One Stop Laser Shop had the last ones on the planet.
    I cannot find my data sheet pdf for it, but it does have a enable pin, if I remember (3 years or more) correctly.

I have two dead reliant boards that I hope to fix some day, but if you need parts let me know, one of the chips might still work.

User DZ here has had success on Reliant psus, you might PM him and ask if he has drawn partial schematics. Look carefully at the interlock optocouplers and the circuits around them, one of them disables the HV, at on the last one I worked on, as there are several versions of the PSU. The interlock circuits are, not, intuitive or easy. One version needs a external 15V on the remote connector, and that is a 10 year old memory.

I no longer have any documentation.

This is the company that knows about Laser Physics. I have sent many people to them, but have never once heard if they have helped some one, but you can try. They are not related to user DZ mentioned above.

www.dzlaser.com

Good luck,

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-09-2010 at 17:24.

Thanks Steve for this very nice information .As I have repaired Galvodrives before I know about voltage- and current-checking circuits and thought something like that could be a funktion in front of my passbank.
    You gave me the security to be on the right way.
    I´ve allready got the igniter-curcuit running , now it´s 4 times tick ,tick ,tick , then stop wait a little than again 4 times tick .
    The Kathode is glowing before ticking , but no konstant voltage on my meter.
    Now i will check the passbank circuit maybe a Thyristor or IC is blown .
    But before I will check the web for datasheeds if this Chip labeled HMI02 CS9240J than I´ll try to enable this circuit for short time ,to know if the failure is in front or behind this IC.

Some pics of my little beauty , and of the parts I´ve taken out of this PSU.
    I think everyone will agree ,that are no original parts.

Thanks for help !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13122010271.jpg  

13122010265.jpg  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Check the gate drive on the FETS.

No gate, no start. Start duty cycle on a FET PSU is typically 80-90%

Take a look at the Omnichrome switcher in SAM's Laser FAQ to get a idea of what is going on.

Steve

O.K.
    I have a gate but no voltage between anode and kathode .From rectifier to kathode is a voltage and from rectifier to anode is just the 317volts from the caps.
    So I think it has to be somewhere in the transformer or in this area on the igniter.
    Maybe it will lase these days , thanks Steve for Help .
    I´ll post some pics when it lasers!

best regards
    Macus Höch

Hi there,
    I apologize for the slow response, life has been nuts lately. My laser is at school but I can try to take some pictures of it when I head up there next time, which should be within the next week or so.

Does the red light on the back of the laser come on? Mine had a sketchy interlock connection and before the connection was repaired there was an intermittent failure which would turn that light off--and the failure mode was just as you mentioned, filament on, voltage on the caps, but no tube volts.