Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin fb3 xe usb ilda laser contoller with new livequick software

Default Pangolin fb3 xe usb ilda laser contoller with new livequick software

BACKGROUND:
    I was provided by Pangolin the Pangolin FB3 XE (external) USB laser controller package for evaluation which here in this forum I aim to give an overview based on my personal experience with the product. The objective is to create a neutral unbiased view and let readers decide for themselves whatever they decide.

PACKAGE CONTENTS:
    The package was sent FED X and there were no delivery issues.
    Inside the box there contained:

1 X FB3 XE DAC

1 x CD
    Which contains:
    LiveQuick software
    LivePRO software (needs licence file)
    Trace IT
    Manual in PDF
    and workspaces

1X manual in hard copy.
    1X usb cable

INSTALLATION:
    The CD has an installation .exe file which installs all the software to the programs directory under LiveQUICK. An icon is placed on the desktop for LiveQUICK and Trace IT.

CONNECTIONS OF DAC AND LASER
    Simple usb connection where the DAC drivers automatically installed via ILDA cable to the laser

OPERATION:
    Launching the LiveQUICK brought up the main interface which is very similar to Cypher Lite. Workspace was auto loaded with 9 pages of 48 frames.

EDITING AND FRAME MANAGEMENT:

Very simple editor to manipulate frame characteristics or add new frames and create new additional workspaces.
    - Contains laser preview output

CONTROLS:
    - zoom
    - position and rotation
    - XYZ
    - fade
    -animation speed
    - scanrate

PROJECTION ZONES AND GEOMETRIC CORRECTION:
    Through this option you are able to control several aspects of the laser output for four zones. A zone can be assigned to any frame. The correction parameters are:
    - size
    - position
    - rotation
    - linearity
    - symmetry
    - keystone
    - pincushion
    - bow
    - steer

USABILITY:
    Very easy to use and intuitive. LivePRO is included in the software bundle but requires a license file to activate and is a natural step up from this package.

RANKING:
    Given that so much USB ILDA Laser Control Software is bootlegged and sold on ebay it was refreshing to have the expectation that this product would work. Installation time was less than 5 minutes. It is run directly from your laptop so there are no cumbersome game like controllers to deal with.
    As this is a new product from Pangolin there are continuous development plans to grow the sophistication of this product.
    From my experiences with Mamba and Laserworld I much prefer this product as it is better value for money and scalable.

MORE INFORMATION:
    Manual Attached
    See the for sale forum for trial links

WHERE DO YOU BUY IT?
    Can be bought directly from Pangolin for $595 plus postage. It can also be purchased through my website or ebay for $500 plus postage. The shipping is direct from Pangolin USA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LiveQUICK XE manual V.pdf  

Nice review and welcome addition to the forums. However its good to note that most people on here are already using Pangolin QM 2000 Net's!!!

There are also a few FB3 users and a couple of Mamba.

Generally speaking we've already been Pango'ed!

Some of us even beta test for Pangolin!

However, its always good to know of another supplier.

Default Pangolin fb3 ilda laser controller and software

Withdrawn from sale due pangolin production issues

What issues are they having?

^^ This

I'd love to hear this....

Withdrawn from sale due pangolin production issues
    Last edited by norty303; 04-06-2010 at 03:10.

I would be interested in hearing more about the alleged "production issues" as well.

Interesting timing, with this post and one on the Pangolin forums questioning QuickShow, both appearing on the same day...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Just two brief notes.

1. There has been a tremendous market response to QuickShow and, as a result of several back-to-back large orders coming in, we currently do not have stock on FB3-XE. We are working to accelerate our production and also to replenish our stock. (This happens with Pangolin products from time to time. Sometimes demand overwhelms our stock...)

2. We have terminated the arrangement with DJ Traximus, and he will no longer be selling Pangolin products. Apparently as a result, he's now making some.... ummm.... unusual posts...

Best regards,

William Benner

Default Whatever this means.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    I would be interested in hearing more about the alleged "production issues" as well.

Interesting timing, with this post and one on the Pangolin forums questioning QuickShow, both appearing on the same day...
    "As I explained in the past, I don't know what we do or do not have in stock.

Just before I went to Frankfurt, I received an email that we were out of FB3 until some time in April. Then when I got back, I received another email that QS orders were overwhelming production due to large orders that had come in.

If production has systems in stock that can be shipped to (or for) you, they will be shipped. If not, you'll have to wait just like everyone else. That's the only point.

Since I haven't been into the office since the return of my trip, I don't know what the current status is. Only Adrienne and Hayden know these things.

Bill"

So I am out of the Pangolin loop now. I can concentrate on my other goals and not have to worry about supplier issues anymore. From experience techies don't know anything about just in time supply chain (SCM) or (JIT) management or appropriate methodologies for new product development (NPD) which covers all this. I used to manage a pool of Asia Pacific Techies for IBM but I had a program director to look after these things.

Technically illiterate but I do know these methodologies. We all have our strengths and weakness - point is we cant be everything to everybody. And at the end of the day my interest in lasers was to get away from esoteric IT consulting crap.

My existence relies upon on my uniqueness and this may manifest is somewhat encrypted messages.
    Last edited by djtraximus; 04-06-2010 at 12:00. Reason: Psychometric parameters

Why would you stop selling something because they got backed up with orders? That sometimes happens in a JIT environment. If you're familiar with the JIT concept, you know that can happen if there is unexpected demand.

From the email from Pangolin you posted, it looks like there was far more to this story. Seems to me like you bit yourself in the ass because you couldn't get something you wanted when you wanted it.

So I am out of the Pangolin loop now. I can concentrate on my other goals and not have to worry about supplier issues anymore.
    Excellent, plenty of time to learn about the other products you sell then, in case anyone needs to come back to you for tech support.