Thread: o-like housing and lens or complete mount and lens

Default o-like housing and lens or complete mount and lens

Looking to pick up a 2 x o-like housing and 2 x lens, even a if someone has a 2 x complete mount for 445nm diodes, i have the FlexMod 3 and the diodes just need the rest, please PM me if someone has something, i dont want to buy from china since it takes to long to get here i would need it in the next 7 - 10days, would like to buy from the US.

o-like housings are not good for higher power levels due to poor thermal transfer from diode to housing. Will seriously reduce the life of your diodes.

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    o-like housings are not good for higher power levels due to poor thermal transfer from diode to housing. Will seriously reduce the life of your diodes.
    Would love to see proof of this or the setup that was used, I showed them better when tested with a thermal image camera. You just need to be sure to use a little heat sink compound and tighten it down enough.

Also the O-like housing and lens made more power from the same input current and same diode than when put in an Aixiz with the new full threaded lens. Just my findings
    leading in trailing technology

Oh and you may want to PM "Admin" here and ask, I know he was selling the housings as one time.
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Would love to see proof of this or the setup that was used, I showed them better when tested with a thermal image camera. You just need to be sure to use a little heat sink compound and tighten it down enough.
    I haven't actually measured the thermal resistance. However, two things lead me to this conclusion. The first sign was when testing the 445nm diode at 1amp with a regulated voltage supply and resistor. The diode curent would quickly start to drop. After cooling down the current would return to normal. This didn't happen with the same diode pressed in an aixis case.

Second, I had a diode mounted to large heatsink with fan cooling, The temp of the heatsink never exceeded 80 deg. when running the diode at one amp CW. After a few hours of use in projector running beams and graphics the leads de-soldered. Not sure what the melting point of the solder is, but that's too hot! And trust me, I had the o-like nut tight as it could go.

I just took out the o-like housing i was using and took a closer look. It appears like the seat that the diode rests on is not machined very flat. Maybe the batch of o-like housings I have has poorer machining than the ones you used. These are my findings. I may have missed something.

I am curious how you tested with a thermal camera. Where you able to see the diode temperature get higher in the aixis as opposed to the o-like? Or, where you looking at the housing temperature?