Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classy Old Laser

Default Classy Old Laser

Here's a neat old laser I recently found and just finished cleaning up. It's a 1968 Bausch & Lomb Model 41-17-50 He-Ne.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B&L Laser.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	738.8 KB 
ID:	19316

The plasma tube is missing but everything else is there. Wood structure looks like walnut to me, There are two pins on the back side of the central support that apparently held a spring to support the bottom of the plasma tube against the two adjusting screws above. Ignition coil!

Name:	B&L Insides.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	840.1 KB 
ID:	19315

I got the instruction manual with the laser. Here's the page showing the plasma tube, the only one I've seen without a reservoir tank! I guess they considered the "sidearm tube" adequate. The mirrors were apparently on the ends of the tube, which was held in position on both ends and pushed into alignment with the adjustment screws. This is the second laser I've come across that used tube bending to adjust the mirrors.

Name:	B&L Manual.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	579.2 KB 
ID:	19314
    Last edited by Eidetic; 09-05-2010 at 10:34.

Wink

That definitely is one classy looking He-Ne. I like the touch they used with wood.

thats really nice looking, shame the tube is missing tho

how would the set screws not break the tube?

They're nylon screws, pushing against the tube held against them only by a spring.

Imagine the power of a laser one could mount inside this case these days! Hot rod laser!!!

I have an update to report on this neat old laser. Just found the educational kit that was made in 1969 to go along with it. The kit includes a periscope assembly that attaches to the nose of the laser, a couple of up collimators, a protractor table, the parts to make an interferometer, a hologram and the instruction manual, all in a plastic case.

The kit was find enough for someone interested in old laser equipment (if there's anyone else), and having the laser is icing on the cake, but the hologram inside is the real treat for me! It's a side lit transmission hologram of a pocket watch mounted in a wood block, with a bunch of dice spread out and stacked on the table in front of it. It's mounted in a 4x6" card with a 2.25"x4.25" window, giving plenty of room for both eyes to see through. Holograms first became available for purchase in 1966. The first published hologram was in the 1967 Science World by Year Book.

Here's a pic from the manual, of the hologram held in a card holder on the protractor table.

Name:	B&L Hologram.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	362.2 KB 
ID:	24619
    Last edited by Eidetic; 04-21-2011 at 21:47.

They don't make them like that anymore!
    This space for rent.

Nice find Bob, thanks for the update. You must have one hell of a collection now.

Incidentally, would it be possible to get a tube made for the B & L HeNe?

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Cool birdman

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    Here's a neat old laser I recently found and just finished cleaning up. It's a 1968 Bausch & Lomb Model 41-17-50 He-Ne.

Name:	B&L Laser.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	738.8 KB 
ID:	19316

The plasma tube is missing but everything else is there. Wood structure looks like walnut to me, There are two pins on the back side of the central support that apparently held a spring to support the bottom of the plasma tube against the two adjusting screws above. Ignition coil!

Name:	B&L Insides.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	840.1 KB 
ID:	19315

I got the instruction manual with the laser. Here's the page showing the plasma tube, the only one I've seen without a reservoir tank! I guess they considered the "sidearm tube" adequate. The mirrors were apparently on the ends of the tube, which was held in position on both ends and pushed into alignment with the adjustment screws. This is the second laser I've come across that used tube bending to adjust the mirrors.

Name:	B&L Manual.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	579.2 KB 
ID:	19314
    would you like a tube for this , i have a leaked down tube that you can have if you want to pay for shipping !

Cool BIRDMAN

hello,i ve been looking at your "classy old laser" i think i have a leaked down tube for this laser. if you want to pay the shipping its yours.just let me know.
    BIRDMAN

You bet!!! PM sent.