Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: nRGB nano whightlight laser

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

no problem. happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroPoint View Post
    LOL, ok, so I guess it really is that straight forward. I guess I was just over analyzing it. Thanks
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Lightbulb

Hey Sir Kit -

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post
    I could mount the block holding the pointer core on a TEC sideways on the outside wall of the projector...
    Just one other thought (..unless this will only-ever be used in yer house, etc..) - Bass-vibrations in a club, might be more negatively-influential on alignment, with the green on a side-wall (..since it likely won't-be a 12mm wall, right? than a base-plate - granted, vibe is something every box-builder has to factor, but , typically, an optical-deck is gonna be more 'insulated' in a projector, than a side-wall... Just a thought....

Can you 'mill-out' the base-plate a bit more to make room? I guess I need to study yer design a bit better... but, I'm sure you'll figure-it up - you've got plenty of smarts, there, fella..

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    I think thermally that would be fine Sir K, there shouldn't be masses of heat shifting just stabilising a 100mW pointer core, I would be more concerned about alignment problems after moving the green onto a different mounting surface..
    Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Sir Kit -

Just one other thought (..unless this will only-ever be used in yer house, etc..) - Bass-vibrations in a club, might be more negatively-influential on alignment, with the green on a side-wall (..since it likely won't-be a 12mm wall, right? :) than a base-plate - granted, vibe is something every box-builder has to factor, but , typically, an optical-deck is gonna be more 'insulated' in a projector, than a side-wall... :cool: Just a thought....

Can you 'mill-out' the base-plate a bit more to make room? I guess I need to study yer design a bit better... but, I'm sure you'll figure-it up - you've got plenty of smarts, there, fella.. :cool:

cheers..
    j
    Hey Simon and Jon! Thanks for the clues:cool:

sorry about the tardy late reply:rolleyes:
    I've been doing 14hr night shifts out in the desert with out much mobile reception uptime.

I was considering wall mounting it and increasing the wall thickness in that area to around 10mm.

I was loathed to machine anything more off the optics bay base as it's only 8pm thick. After allowing say 4mm for a TEC I'd have to machine it down to 4mm.

You've got me thinking though. Seeing as I'm making a custom mount for the DT40s I could raise the relative height of the base of the scanner mount which would allow me to increase the thickness of the base to 10-12mm so mounting to the base plate as is but adding a TEC is more doable.

Also I could create a bit more mass around the scanners to not too much heat heads towards the lasers.

Here is the basic layout and list of components sharing the optics bay base.

Billet projector case made from Ali approx 270mm x 365mm 3mm thick. Sealed optics bay is currently 8mm thick( can increase to 10-12mm).
    The optics bay is approximatly 250mm x 70mm. It has a set of DT40 pros 1x Nichia NDB7112 50-100mW 445nm blue, a single Opnext HL6385dg 642nm 150mW red and a 100mW CNI green pointer core.

The unsealed section of the projector is air cooled via 3x 50mm Sunon fans identical to the one in the bottom of a QM2000.net but the optics bay isn't actively cooled.
    I'm driving all the lasers off their own Die4drive pro and would use a die4chill for the TEC.

If I choose the right TEC, do you think I could get away with just the thickness of the base to get rid of the TECs heat or will it need a heat sink and fan?

From this list of TECs in this PDF, which one would you sugest is most suitable for the task?

I've been skipping class with TEC studies 101 as I didn't think I'd need one. I'm going to head over to the big TEC thread and do some more learning.

Thanks again guys.

cheers
    Kit:)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0900766b8091addd.pdf 
Views:	16 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	26423
    Last edited by kitatit; 08-08-2011 at 01:00. Reason: Added PDF , another question and re-phrased explanation for clarity

Hey kit. You got PM.

Personally, I think a very small TEC is all you need. The amount of heat to be removed is negligible and I think your billet case will fine as the heatsink. I large TEC may have control loop issues and overshoot, a bit like trying to hammer in a nail with a 50 cal sniper riffle.

All this advise is gut-feel-estimation but free.
    This space for rent.

I agree with dnar. That thing is going to have a lot of thermal mass and a lot of surface area to radiate. I wouldn't think you would need much more than 4 or 5 watts worth of cooling. This is also a "gut-feel-estimation" but running these at typical scanned image duty cycles I don't think you will have a problem.
    Oh and those holes for the fans are going to whistle like a mother. I would do large cutouts with little metal grills countersunk in the bottom.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Is this beautiful laser and maybe some clones going to be for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Hey kit. You got PM.

Personally, I think a very small TEC is all you need. The amount of heat to be removed is negligible and I think your billet case will fine as the heatsink. I large TEC may have control loop issues and overshoot, a bit like trying to hammer in a nail with a 50 cal sniper riffle.

All this advise is gut-feel-estimation but free.
    Thanks Wayne

By small do you mean the 2.9watt 9mm x9mm x3.8mm one? I've got no clue yet.

The thing I'm worried about is how well this pointer core will modulate.

I haven't seen inside a lab module or a pointer core but I'm guessing the lab modules diode and crystal are coupled better to it's heat sink.

I read on a site that sells the CNI PGL-VI-532 100mW pointer core I have and it says if you run it for more than 30secs you need to tec cool it.

Is this type of module really that suitable for analog modulation in an RGB projector?

That's why I'm considering this one http://www.cnilaser.com/PDF/PGL-FS-532.pdf or this one http://www.lasever.com/producttitle.asp?id=1412

Can anyone chime in and offer any insights?

I want to commit to which green I use. Due to the compact design of this projector,there isn't much scope for changing modules later if it isn't suitable.

All ideas welcome.

Cheers
    Kit

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    I agree with dnar. That thing is going to have a lot of thermal mass and a lot of surface area to radiate. I wouldn't think you would need much more than 4 or 5 watts worth of cooling. This is also a "gut-feel-estimation" but running these at typical scanned image duty cycles I don't think you will have a problem.
    Oh and those holes for the fans are going to whistle like a mother. I would do large cutouts with little metal grills countersunk in the bottom.
    chad
    4-5watts. Cool now I have a starting point. About the fan hole underneath, that's exactly what Dnar said. Yeah I'll open them right out. Thanks Chad

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    Is this beautiful laser and maybe some clones going to be for sale?
    Hi cfavreau, do you mean mine or Chad's? If you mean mine, thanks I'm glad you like it.

It's unlikely I'll make more than one of these. It's quiet specialized for my purpose. The way the case is made is very
    expensive.

It's not out of the question but the cost for what it is, would be prohibitive I'd imagine. I haven't got a quote for the machining yet, but it won't be pretty.

This project is more of a challenge to push myself rather than being sensible
    Last edited by kitatit; 08-15-2011 at 08:09. Reason: I can't even master my first language

Last edited by kitatit; Today at 02:09. Reason: I can't even master my first language
    I reckon you speak fully sick Aussie mate

Thanks Wayne

By small do you mean the 2.9watt 9mm x9mm x3.8mm one? I've got no clue yet.
    Yep! Lets say the module runs 3V @ 500mA, that is 1.5W in. Subtract the 200mW optical output, the balance (1.3W is expelled as heat). You need to pump 1.3W so the 2.9W is still overkill.
    The thing I'm worried about is how well this pointer core will modulate.
    From my experience, DPPS modulation is a vastly different curve to solid-state diodes... My CNI labbie has quite a modulation range, the red/blues all come on "bang" at the lasing threshold. As a result, white turns violet below the lasing threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    I reckon you speak fully sick Aussie mate
    Kin-owth!

BTW, are you aware the 2nd season of "Swift and Shift Couriers" is on Monday nights after 3 years absence?!? I love that show, it is so *hit hot!
    This space for rent.