Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega RGB via KTP / Dye / 445... Discuss...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

New piece of gouge.

Qswitched pumps do not need triplet state quench additives, only CW lasers when going for power. This comes from Exciton's scientist.

Obtainable red power in the Qswitch 532 pump case is solvent dependent.

Binary mixtures are for not for 532 Qswitched pumps for the most part.

Numbers for conversion were shockingly high in the LS type case. 30%, and some have obtained higher.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-03-2010 at 14:50.

Well you don't need a quench additive provided the flow rate is sufficient to clear all the dye from the spot before the next pulse, so I would guess that running a dye head on a LS would have a fairly well defined maximum PRF.
    How much of a limit this in practise I don't know.

Solvent choice and its effect on conversion efficiency is in the literature, but some of them are spectacularly nasty chemicals (Especially when combined with dye that is bad news to begin with).

There is much good discussion of solvents and dyes here: http://bcp.phys.strath.ac.uk/ultrafa...laser-dyes.pdf

Regards, Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by DMills View Post
    Well you don't need a quench additive provided the flow rate is sufficient to clear all the dye from the spot before the next pulse, so I would guess that running a dye head on a LS would have a fairly well defined maximum PRF.
    How much of a limit this in practise I don't know.

Solvent choice and its effect on conversion efficiency is in the literature, but some of them are spectacularly nasty chemicals (Especially when combined with dye that is bad news to begin with).

There is much good discussion of solvents and dyes here: http://bcp.phys.strath.ac.uk/ultrafa...laser-dyes.pdf

Regards, Dan.
    Thanks for the PDF, definitely save for future reference.

Quenching additives are only for CW. With a Q-switched pump, even if it's running at a high rep rate (at 10kHz or so), a dye cell is still acceptable.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Exciton actually suggested the propylene carbonate for the DCM, for peak power.

Considering it is used in lipstick, that is a nicer choice then say, DMF etc.

Steve

hey there G-man...

Quote Originally Posted by goninanbl00d View Post
    ...Allen's ...the only one who has one working, and has photos of it. That's assuming the photos are his, and not stolen.

...EDIT: Allen's pics of the dye unit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/prodjal...th/4686606969/
    Ook, so, as-promised, was in the shop last nite takin some pix for some other posts, and I fired up one of our dye-units (..the 'tired' one, that I was discussing tryin to 'improve-on' the dye-mix, etc, in this thread...) and, yep - she's still a hottie!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSLI_10W_Red2.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	322.0 KB 
ID:	22094

...so, njoy the pix, and - sorry about the 'obnoxious' DSLI-logo all-over the shots but, if 'DJ StickyFingers', there, wants to steal my pix again / post on his Flickr-pages or his BSite, he's gonna have to be willing to give DSLI some 'free-press' in the process...

...and if this... http://www.flickr.com/photos/prodjal...7624242336736/ is "12 Watts...", than I'm 'Mother Theresa'... (...I think maybe he just *forgot* the 'decimal-point' between the 1 and 2...

...Here's what 10 Watts looks-like:

Name:	DSLI_10W_Red.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	22095... no 'fog', no 'time exposure', just LOTS of Red...

Name:	DSLI_10W_Red3.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	323.5 KB 
ID:	22096...10W o' Red with some 'haze' in the room...

...and it was really rainy / foggy out, last nite, sooo....

Name:	DSLI_10W_Red4.JPG 
Views:	372 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	22097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSLI_10W_Red5.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	22098 (...last-shot had a 'slight' time exposure... but I think you 'get the point', eh?

..and, then, I got an *idea*...

Name:	DSLI_RednBluFun.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	22099

..and it was a really 'intriguing' color-mix, cause, in that "Red", you've actually got at least two 'dominant' lines, lasing - you can sort-of see it in this machita-shot - (btw, this shot was only ~4.5W.. I couldn't *take* a shot of the 10Ws in the dark...the camera was jonesing...)

Name:	DSLI_4W_RedMach.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	22100...

...see the 'paired' lines?... not exactly-sure of the exact-nm's, but eye-guess would-be right-at ~630 and then 640 - one was definitely a Red and the other was pretty 'orange', (by-comparison, right next-to the other)...

...interesingly, the 'redder' (guessing-640), was the more 'powerful' line, so, perhaps that clues-us that the LS-mix is likely more DCM than anything... perhaps + some Kiton...

So, yeah - someday, when I have some time (...yeah, right!... ) I wanna try this rig... I think the combo of 532 / the blend of dye-generated Reds, and the 445 could be pretty 'eyegasmic' at 30-40W of Total RGB-power... we'll see..

Name:	DSLI_RednBluMachUp.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	250.9 KB 
ID:	22101

cheers...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    hey there G-man...

Ook, so, as-promised, was in the shop last nite takin some pix for some other posts, and I fired up one of our dye-units (..the 'tired' one, that I was discussing tryin to 'improve-on' the dye-mix, etc, in this thread...) and, yep - she's still a hottie!

Name:	DSLI_10W_Red2.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	322.0 KB 
ID:	22094

...so, njoy the pix, and - sorry about the 'obnoxious' DSLI-logo all-over the shots but, if 'DJ StickyFingers', there, wants to steal my pix again / post on his Flickr-pages or his BSite, he's gonna have to be willing to give DSLI some 'free-press' in the process...

...and if this... http://www.flickr.com/photos/prodjal...7624242336736/ is "12 Watts...", than I'm 'Mother Theresa'... (...I think maybe he just *forgot* the 'decimal-point' between the 1 and 2...

...Here's what 10 Watts looks-like:

Name:	DSLI_10W_Red.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	22095... no 'fog', no 'time exposure', just LOTS of Red...

Name:	DSLI_10W_Red3.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	323.5 KB 
ID:	22096...10W o' Red with some 'haze' in the room...

...and it was really rainy / foggy out, last nite, sooo....

Name:	DSLI_10W_Red4.JPG 
Views:	372 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	22097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSLI_10W_Red5.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	22098 (...last-shot had a 'slight' time exposure... but I think you 'get the point', eh?

..and, then, I got an *idea*...

Name:	DSLI_RednBluFun.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	22099

..and it was a really 'intriguing' color-mix, cause, in that "Red", you've actually got at least two 'dominant' lines, lasing - you can sort-of see it in this machita-shot - (btw, this shot was only ~4.5W.. I couldn't *take* a shot of the 10Ws in the dark...the camera was jonesing...)

Name:	DSLI_4W_RedMach.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	22100...

...see the 'paired' lines?... not exactly-sure of the exact-nm's, but eye-guess would-be right-at ~630 and then 640 - one was definitely a Red and the other was pretty 'orange', (by-comparison, right next-to the other)...

...interesingly, the 'redder' (guessing-640), was the more 'powerful' line, so, perhaps that clues-us that the LS-mix is likely more DCM than anything... perhaps + some Kiton...

So, yeah - someday, when I have some time (...yeah, right!... ) I wanna try this rig... I think the combo of 532 / the blend of dye-generated Reds, and the 445 could be pretty 'eyegasmic' at 30-40W of Total RGB-power... we'll see..

Name:	DSLI_RednBluMachUp.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	250.9 KB 
ID:	22101

cheers...
    j

i love red my fav colour, looks awesome
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by goninanbl00d View Post
    Oh wow, what a nob.
    I guess you missed the PRO DJA docu-drama on Discovery then?
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

That red looks pretty awesome J
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Thumbs up

Hey Andy...

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    i love red my fav colour, looks awesome
    Yep.. it's really 'mezmerizing', isn't it?... the only thing I like better, is Red shot-thru a lumia-wheel or 'dimple-tube' (that's the little deale-o that makes those 'crawling, aurora-borealis'-lookin fx, you see in the Laserium Floyd-clips... totally enchanting...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    That red looks pretty awesome J
    ...Dyin to get this Red on a pair of scanners, and make me some 'cherry sine-waves'...

cheers, guys...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Holy F#ck. No, just, I have nothing to say...

That is the most red I've seen in once place. I sat there gazing at those pics for a good few minutes. Good work with the photography. And the watermark looks awesome, I've seen worse GFX failures

Personally, it's got quite a bit of orange in it. Not that it's a bad thing, I think it looks rather nice.

In the photos, the dominant line also looks like 630nm, not 640nm. If memory serves me correct the dye used in PDT had an absorption band 630-633nm, so a dominant 640 line would have been of little use. But I could be wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the photos, they've turned out nicely.

But 30W RGB? Bring it on!