Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazing FPV R/C flight over New York.

Default Amazing FPV R/C flight over New York.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cSxEqKQ78

Take a look at the other links provided below the video, it appears to have started a firestorm of opinion.
    This space for rent.

soon the TSA will argue for the need for tiny SAM sites to shoot down RC planes/helicopters... then when they get smaller they will need tinier SAM sites to shoot down mosquitoes and such...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    then when they get smaller they will need tinier SAM sites to shoot down mosquitoes and such...
    And then we'll finally have a commercially-available product that can keep our backyards free of mosquitoes!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    And then we'll finally have a commercially-available product that can keep our backyards free of mosquitoes!

Adam
    see who says defense spending does not help the greater good??

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    see who says defense spending does not help the greater good??
    Exactly! Now when can I expect to find a personal rail-gun for home defense at my local sports store?

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

quote:
    Take a look at the other links provided below the video, it appears to have started a firestorm of opinion.[/QUOTE]

Why?, its well under the 13 pound rule, very low speed, and most likely a lousy way to issue dispersions of nasty materials. You can't jam all frequencies, all the time. It has less kinetic energy then a baseball bat. Well within existing US laws.

Other reasons for non issue:

Law enforcement quickly found him.

I have worked with UHF two way radios in Manhatten, Long range propogation between the buildings is very anomalous at best.

I assure you if he dipped between the buildings for ANY reason, that control signal is just plane gone, pun intended. In fact its amazing the ghost signals coming back from the buildings did not self jam the uplink or the video. The place is a black hole at UHF and up, and the RF background noise is incredible.

Having seen some measures, while carrying active gear doing a gig, that were in place in Times Square, NY is well defended. I will not expand on those measures.

If I remember right he had a stabilizer on the bird, if he lost radio, it goes to the last heading, which means in that street grid system, its going to hit a building and smash.

Granted I would not want it falling down out of the sky on me, but the risks were low.

RC commercial video is a thriving industry in the US, one of my former employers has hired a video crew that buzzed around a 20,000 student campus with a gas engined helo with no problems. In proper hands, its reasonably safe.

NON ISSUE.

Just pray the tiny swarms of TSA anti-plane mosquitoes are not built with two way radios. Digital mosquitoes breeding with the ability to relay the co-ordinates of a human meal would "bee" a bad thing.

Enjoy the video.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-27-2010 at 09:45.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I have worked with UHF two way radios in Manhatten, Long range propogation between the buildings is very anomalous at best.
    last time I was in manhattan I worked 2m/70cm without issue from a commercial HT... next time I go I want to try and hop on some of the 33cm repeaters

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Were you several hundred feet up and a few blocks from seven times square transmitters? If not, I rest my case. A repeater would have helped, it was not a option. Tried 800 Mhz, VHF and UHF, and had to rotate radios like mad. The leased radios were Rola and there were 16 available 800 Mhz channels licensed exclusive in the city.

Yes, I know about the antenna patterns. At ground level things worked much better. A repeater would have helped.

Steve

did a little bit of simplex on 52 but most of the time I was talking on repeaters...

although trust me I know what a nightmare it can be dealing with rf interference...

one of my sites has 2x 20 channel 800Mhz EDACS systems and a 21 channel 800mhz Type II SmartNET system (thats 61 800Mhz pairs!) and a lot of them are 5Mhz apart, causing all sorts of mixing and garbage on our UHF ham stuff (also 5MHz splits)

If you watch the interview video, this claims to have obtained 120 mile range for both control and video streams. That is the amazing thing.
    This space for rent.