Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Tri-Mag...

Cool Yellow Tri-Mag...

Just wanted to show my new build!

I'm using a cut down Mag host with a single 32650 Li-Ion supply. (6000mAh's capacity)

The overall length is still shorter than a standard 2D Maglite as this comparison picture shows...

I'll list some of the key parts, and give output power settings as well as show lots of pictures of the assembly below:

Did some custom modification of the two Newport mounts...

Voltage Monitor:

I wanted to also fit a voltage monitor just for 'cool factor'... (see the colored fiber optic plug right above the red switch)

The light changes color as the voltage drops to let you know where your Li-Ion cell is at... (and also doubles as an 'armed indicator light')

Blue - Full
    Cyan - Very good
    Green - Good
    Yellow - Low
    Red - Need to charge

The voltage monitor is activated via the tail cap switch shown below. Which also 'arms' the two lasers.

More pics...

Some of the key parts:
    Two Newport optical mounts
    45 degree red dichroic filter

Notes:

* The dichroic filter shown is 98% reflective for red, and 90% transmission for green (about as good as you can get)
    * I used a turning mirror from a PHR sled for the red (first mirror)
    * If combining beams using the optics shown, you must make sure your red is reflecting off the surface coating on each optic. (not going through the glass and then reflecting back through)
    * I first focused the individual lasers to best dot at 80', then aligned beams at aperture, and finally align the dots together at distance. (80')

* Seeing the dots at 80' for alignment?

My solution for this is to bounce the beam off a mirror at the opposite end of the house so that the returning beam/dot is on the wall right near me. (must use caution obviously)

Output settings:

Red: LPC 826 /400mA / 263mW out the front (after optics) - Using 650-G-1 glass lens
    Green: PL520 /Around 170mA / 42mW out the front (after optics) - Using 405-G-1 glass lens
    Yellow: 305mW out the front

* Battery current draw measured at the tail is only 633mA's. (yellow) I'm using a 6000mAh 32650 cell. So it should last 8 or 9 hours between charges...

Very stable output of both lasers = nice stable yellow...

One of my new favorites!

Some Beam Shots: (just to show color)

Click here to see my list of projects and tutorials!

Last edited by jayrob; 01-07-2015 at 22:30.

Jayrob lol .. did U click the wrong linky ??
    You aughta know better by now ..
    ok -- I'll bite. Where are the scanners? I cant see 'em

Even I have to admit, for a pointer thread, this one is pretty cool. Incorporating kinematics into the build is pretty awesome. For a good yellow, I am suprised to see a 520nm diode and not a 12mm DPSS pointer core. Better green for yellow and a bit better beam profile to match the red.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Thanks absolom7691...

Really like the stability of the green diode vs a DPSS for this one...

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Jayrob lol .. did U click the wrong linky ??
    You aughta know better by now ..
    ok -- I'll bite. Where are the scanners? I cant see 'em
    Oops...

Actually I hardly browse here, but wanted to show this build I guess because I was happy with it. (didn't realize this forum was not for pointers)

Anyway it's just a project that I recently finished, and I saw the forum was for 'modifications'...

A work of Art...is a work of Art !! And that unit is a work of art ! The " Scanners " are the stationary model !! Nice work !!!! Very nice work indeed !!! The beauty of Coherent Light is the constant !!! I seem to remember a room full of grown men....all pointing at a mobile farfield beam target.....MMMmmmmm ??????.....Buzz, Buzz, Buzz !!!! The Quantum Well is DEEP !!! Photon's for ALL !!! CDBEAM=======>
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 01-06-2015 at 16:10.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Quote Originally Posted by jayrob View Post
    Thanks absolom7691...

Really like the stability of the green diode vs a DPSS for this one...
    I wouldn't think stability would matter unless you're wanting to modulate the green. Then again, I have seen those pointer cores vary in the 10s of mW when warming up.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I wouldn't think stability would matter unless you're wanting to modulate the green. Then again, I have seen those pointer cores vary in the 10s of mW when warming up.
    Yes exactly...

With a DPSS combination (which I have as well in a 7 color build 'White laser'), the green DPSS module has some fluctuation in output after some use. It's nice for just showing it off, but I can't just leave it on for a 5 minute run time without it having fluctuation, which obviously the slightest change in output will affect the yellow. (or in the case of my 7 color build, fluctuation in the green will affect other colors as well)

However this diode build has very stable output power of both lasers / very stable yellow combination...

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    A work of Art...is a work of Art !! And that unit is a work of art ! The " Scanners " are the stationary model !! Nice work !!!! Very nice work indeed !!! The beauty of Coherent Light is the constant !!! I seem to remember a room full of grown men....all pointing at a mobile farfield beam target.....MMMmmmmm ??????.....Buzz, Buzz, Buzz !!!! The Quantum Well is DEEP !!! Photon's for ALL !!! CDBEAM=======>
    Thank you for those kind words! (some work went into it)

Love it!!
    Last edited by jayrob; 01-06-2015 at 18:06.

nice build...Im impressed that you could pull those mounts apart and machine them and get them back together...Disassembling micromounts usually damages springs
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    nice build...Im impressed that you could pull those mounts apart and machine them and get them back together...Disassembling micromounts usually damages springs
    Absolutely agree, cannot pull one apart without ruining the spring...

The one that you see with a 45 degree, was just done with a small 1/2" width hand held air belt sander.

Quote Originally Posted by jayrob View Post

Actually I hardly browse here, but wanted to show this build I guess because I was happy with it. (didn't realize this forum was not for pointers)

Anyway it's just a project that I recently finished, and I saw the forum was for 'modifications'...
    I for one can appreciate the ingenuity that was applied to this build. Sharing the engineering that you applied is much appreciated and is inherently enjoyable to see.