Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Modification Kit - Parts, or Complete Flashlight!

Cool FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!

You may know me from CPF or LPF... (user name jayrob)

One problem
    with high output flashlights (of a decent size), is that 18650's don't give you much run time...

Well here's the answer!

This XM-L T6 Maglite modification is the perfect combination for size vs brightness, but still with great capacity! (IMO)

The first one shown here, is putting out over 1000 lumens on high... (estimated)

Using large capacity 32600 Li-Ion's! (or 32650's, or 26650's with sleeve)

See here for some feedback from some who have bought this build...

I will show several options for an Awesome Maglite Flashlight modification using the super efficient XM-L T6 Cree emitter. (there is also a single battery 'Stubby' version shown below)

See below for a really nice battery voltage monitor installation!

You can use this thread as a DIY tutorial, or get the parts and/or complete light from me...

The XM-L T6 will put out an incredible 386 lumens at 1 Amp! (compared to only about 220 lumens for a Q5) That's 75% more output for the same current!

It is 1000 lumens at 3 Amps, so I chose a 3 Amp/3 mode driver...

Note: Some of the steps of this modification may be familiar to you if you have seem my Maglite Monster Laser thread...

Voltage monitor, spot, spill, beam...

Features for both versions:

* Good heat management because of heatsink mass
    * Good battery capacity vs size of light
    * Heavy duty side button forward clicky for easy mode switching
    * Turn the head for focusing
    * And of course the nice quality finish of the Maglite with color choices

Parts:

* Maglite 2D host
    * Using 2 X 5000mAh 32600 Li-Ion battteries. (or 6000mAh 32650's) (or 4000mAh 26650's - with sleeve shown below)
    * Spectrum battery voltage monitor (optional) Only draws 6mA's current!
    * 3 Amp, 3 mode driver
    * XM-L T6 emitter on 14mm round base (bin 1D)

Note: Just found out about a U.S. source for protected 32650's! (but they barely can fit with special modifications, because these protected cells are longer than non-protected 32650's)
    http://www.novaeproducts.com/apps/we...s/show/1846436

Here's the data sheet for the Cree XM-L T6 emitter:
    http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXM-L.pdf

The Maglite heavy duty side button switch is a forward clicky. You can have a momentary on if desired. Or you can switch modes easily before you click it all the way on…

The driver is a 3 mode driver. High, medium, low. This one switches modes very smooth and consistently. It has memory too... So it will remember where it was last at. Great driver for this mod! (current readings shown below)

Note: I like the 2 X 32600's (or 2 X 32650's) best for size vs capacity, but there are a couple of other combination's that would also work with this driver...

For instance, if you want to use NiMH batteries with this driver, a 3D Maglite will fit 5 X 1/2 D NiMH batteries. (or even 7 of those in a 4D Maglite) And it should work per the voltage input specs of the driver. (but without the voltage monitor)

For that matter, you could also use normal D sized NiMH batteries in a 5D (or 6D) Maglite...

Large format Li-Ion charger:

These larger size Li-Ion's need a charger that will fit them...

Here's the one to get:
    Ultrafire WF-188 Charger for 14500 / 17500 / 18500 / 18650 / RCR123 3.7 volt Lithium Battery Charger

Note: Get your charger from a reputable source and make sure it comes brand new in the blue box. Otherwise it probably won't work properly. (I have tested maybe 20 of the WF-188 chargers)

After the build pictures, I have the testing, and current readings for this driver using the 2 X 32600's. I have current readings at the emitter, as well as at the tail. (battery current draw)

Switch prep:

If you would like to see more detail on the switch mod, see my Maglite P7 flashlight modification here:
    Easy Maglite P7 Mod! Nice...

Battery prep:

Optional Battery voltage monitor:

The battery voltage monitor is designed for LiPo's, but Li-Ion's are the same voltage as Li-Po's, and it is a great set up! (Must use the 3.6 (or 3.7) to 4.2 (at full charge) Li-Ions. Not the 3 volt ones)

I love having this voltage monitor for my 32600's! Here's how I installed it using a fiber optic plug...

Battery voltage monitor color code:

Bright blue - Full charge
    Cyan - Very good
    Green - Good
    Yellow/Amber - Low warning
    Red - Batteries low (70%)

The Spectrum battery voltage monitor will have a short 2 second initialization and some flashing when you first turn on the light. This is normal. As seen in the video shown above...

Heatsink/driver/emitter:

The mass of my heatsink is the key to good heat management for this build. It is machined from a solid piece of 6061 round stock...

Important: The heatsink set screw fits a 1.5mm Hex wrench… If you try to remove or adjust the heatsink, be aware that it is under some spring tension. As can be seen it the picture…

Reflector:

Some slight modification needed for the reflector. (easy)

The stock reflector seems to be pretty good, but I want to test others to see if it's worth the price of the upgrade...

I've ordered this aluminum reflector:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=1740

And this glass lens:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=2131

I also ordered some of these UCL lenses to check out:
    http://www.flashlightlens.com/str/in...w&ref=ucl_lens

I'll post results after I get them delivered...

Update: I like the UCL lens best, and the reflector linked is a very nice reflector. But honestly, I would save the $15 bucks and use the stock reflector! Which is not bad at all...

Beam shots:

It was a little foggy out...

Spot and spill:

At close distance, the stock reflector shows a slight 'clover' pattern around the spot, but it is not too bad at all:

The spot, is about 8' wide at 75' when best focused.

Using the stock reflector, pointing at a wall, I measured the spill at 5' distance, and it is 10' wide...

Then I measured the width of the spill at 9' distance, and it is 17' or 18' wide.

Current readings: (High/medium/low)

Measured at the emitter:
    * High - 3100mA's
    * Medium - 948mA's
    * Low - 157mA's

Measured at the tail: (battery current draw from 2 X 32600 Li-Ion's)
    * High - 1575mA's... Estimated run time - Over 3 hours!
    * Medium - 525mA's... Estimated run time - 9 1/2 hours at about 350 lumens!
    * Low - 114mA's - Estimated run time - 43 hours!

That's using 5000mAh capacity 32600's. This modification will also fit 6000mAh 32650's with a really easy tail cap spring modification...

Pricing for parts and/or complete XM-L T6 Maglite Mod:

All the links to the parts are shown at the top of this first post for those of you who would like to follow this picture tutorial and DIY!

I can sell the heatsink. Or the heatsink with emitter and driver as a drop in module.

I can also sell the complete build if you would like this Maglite mod ready to go...

* Heatsink (with spring) - $39 (you may or may not use the spring, but it will be included)
    * Drop in module (heatsink/driver/emitter - ready and tested) - $89
    * Complete modified XM-L T6 Maglite - $129 (not including batteries or battery voltage monitor)

The complete XM-L T6 Maglite build will include:

* Maglite host (your choice of color)
    * Switch prep
    * Reflector mod
    * Heatsink/driver/XM-L T6 emitter installed and tested
    * Assembled and ready for your batteries

* Spectrum battery monitor installed - $58 The price of the Spectrum board is over $30 bucks, and my price for the installation as shown, is an additional $23 dollars. (this is actually more time consuming than it's worth to me, but it's so cool, that I'm trying to make it affordable)

* Optional sleeve with machined tail cap and spring mod - $15 (if using 26650's) Or tail cap mod without sleeve - $8 (see picture below)
    Note: Tail cap mod needed if using 32650's or 26650's...

* Shipping will be based on PayPal fees plus postage. (send PM for total)
    * Shipping policy:
    Shipping Policy

Hope you like it!

Sleeve for 26650's:

If you want to use 26650's instead of the 32mm batteries, then I have some perfect sized fiber glass material:

I ran both of these builds shown in this first post for 15 minutes on high to see how they held up heat wise... (2 X 32600's above, and 1 X 32650 'Stubby' below)

Both were excellent... The 'Stubby' seemed just a tad warmer in the hand. But both kept the same brightness. (comparing my P7 build side by side every few minutes)

With the 2 X 32600 3 mode set up, I even took the head off so I could remove the heatsink and feel the heat of it in my hand at the end of the 15 minutes. It was warm, but not hot. I could easily hold it without any discomfort...

I think this is good enough for me. I'll probably be sticking with these driver choices because I like having a choice of modes. (especially the 3 mode set up)

If your in a situation where you know you will need to have your light on for a long time, then just switch it to medium! (over 9 hours on medium with 2 X 32600's at about 350 lumens!)

Maglite 2 D available colors...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Here I will also show a single cell Maglite 'Stubby' modification...

On high, it is nearly as bright as the 2 cell version above!

This makes a great sized Flashlight mod for a single cell, or a laser too!

If you wanted to make this into a laser, all you would need to do is just add the $38 dollar heatsink to the basic kit price shown below, and it would be great for a FlexDrive! (or dual FlexDrives!) The switch prep shown in this thread would also be needed for the laser mod...

Heatsink shown here for laser build:
    FS: Large Maglite Monster Kits! FlexModP3, Side Button Forward Clicky!

XM-L T6 Maglite 'Stubby' mod:

* Using a high capacity, 6000mAh 32650 (or 32600, or 26650 with battery sleeve)
    * XM-L T6 emitter on 14mm round base (bin 1D)
    * 5 mode driver

The heavy duty side button switch is a forward clicky. You can have a momentary on if desired. Or you can switch modes easily before you click it all the way on…

The driver is a 5 mode driver. High, medium, low, fast strobe, SOS. (not necessarily in that order) It has memory. So it will remember where it was last at…

Basically the same but smaller...

The single cell 'Stubby' uses a different driver than the 2D Maglite mod shown above...

The 5 mode driver for this build, is a little finicky when switching modes, but you get used to it fast. (it's a very quick off/on to switch) The good thing about it, is that it has memory. So if you like a particular mode. Such as Medium or High, then you can just leave it on that mode...

I'm using a 6000mAh 32650 for this one!

Nice to have a 6000mAh capacity battery that won't leak like an Alkaline...

Note: These large capacity/large format Li-Ions are non-protected. But the driver specs say that it requires an input voltage range of 3.2 - 4.5 volts. So I think we're alright with this set up...

You could also use a 3D Maglite with this 5 mode driver. 3 X normal D sized NiMH batteries would be about 10,000mAh's capacity!

Host modification:

Current readings: (High, medium, low)

Measured at the emitter:
    * High - 2310mA's
    * Medium - 1108mA's
    * Low - 200mA's

Measured at the tail: (battery current draw from a single, 6000mAh 32650 Li-Ion)
    * High - 2400mA's... Estimated run time - 2 1/2 hours!
    * Medium - 1135mA's... Estimated run time - Over 5 hours at about 380 lumens!
    * Low - 212mA's - Estimated run time - 28 hours!

Pricing for the XM-L T6 Maglite 'Stubby' kit:

I can sell the heatsink. Or the heatsink with emitter and driver as a drop in module.

I can also sell the complete build if you would like this Maglite mod ready to go...

* Heatsink (with spring) - $39 (you may or may not use the spring, but it will be included)
    * Drop in module (heatsink/driver/emitter - ready and tested) - $81
    * Complete modified XM-L T6 Maglite 'Stubby' - $139 (not including battery)

The complete XM-L T6 Maglite 'Stubby' will include:

* Maglite host (your choice of color)
    * Switch prep
    * Reflector mod
    * Host mod - 'Stubby'
    * Heatsink/driver/XM-L T6 emitter installed and tested
    * Assembled and ready for your battery
    (Add $7 dollars if you need my fiber glass battery sleeve for using a 26650)

* Shipping will be based on PayPal fees plus postage. (send PM for total)
    * Shipping policy:
    Shipping Policy

Hope you like this one too!

Mag Charger option!

See here!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...on-1000-Lumens

Take a look at an Easy Maglite P7 modification here!
    Easy Maglite P7 Mod! Nice...
    Last edited by jayrob; 09-01-2011 at 17:54.

Wow, that is awesome!

Does it pop balloons?
    This space for rent.

Ha ha!

I haven't tried it, but I doubt it...

It's not one of those fire starters that only last a few minutes and get really hot.

I was going for 'very bright', with long run time. As well as having mode choices in case your in a situation where your going to need it all night long.

For instance, if you had the 2D mod on medium, you would have over 9 hours run time at about 350 lumens!

That can be even longer if you used 6000mAh 32650's instead of the 32600's...

Flashlights aren't really our thing around here but. . .

Anyone that machines things to make light I am ok with. Especially if there is a set screw at an angle. that looks like a real thrower.

Have you tried any of the white phatlight leds yet?

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

I have not...

Are they better that the XM-L T6?

I chose this Cree emitter because I was going for efficiency as well. I wanted good run times vs brightness...

Take a look.
    http://www.luminus.com/content1504

I have some of the color series. They are some of the brightest things I have seen. and yse they will pop balloons, At least i think so. I have smoked anti-stat foam.

chad

Oh SST-50 and SST-90...

Yes I considered those, but the SST-50 takes 5 Amps. So that would cut the run time way down.

More heat as well...

Pretty happy with the XM-L T6 for what I was going for. I like the 3 mode driver too!

If you know your in a situation that you may need your light all night, you can put it on medium, and have over 9 hours run time and it will still be about 350 lumens!

I understand. I just haven't encountered anyone that has used the white ones, I was curious. They are stupid bright.

I built a DMX RGB test stage light with those.

chad

Pretty cool...

Any pictures or thread link?

I have a 6 cell mag.

I'm kind of curious what the run time could be with a CBM 360W.

4,500 lumens sounds very tempting.