Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 445 2 Watts Fact of fiction

Default Never Mind

Good afternoon,

The laser is not a part that is available for purchasing. If you need a repair completed please contact our repair department at 1800-706-2534 option #2.

Thank you and have a great day!

CASIO America Inc.
    CASIO Parts Department
    Email: parts@casio.com
    T 1-800-223-2001
    F 1-973-537-8922

I have built a portable 445 which has peaked at 1.98 Watts on my Scientech meter.
    I put a review of it on LPF. There is 3.4 ounces of alum heatsink in there and 2 of DrLava's drivers in parallel feeding 1.7 Amps. I stopped at that current because I burned a die bonding wire once at ~1.8 Amps
    The power chart shows 1.7 Watts. I changed to a different lens and got the added power. The other picture shows heatsink and driver mounting.

HMike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAIK4.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	22979 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAIK3.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	22980
    Last edited by Hemlock Mike; 01-14-2011 at 12:28. Reason: Add Pix

what lenses were you using?

The first lens was the Aixiz 405-445 lens assembly. This lens appears to set forward more from the diode causing less capture from the wide beam. The higher power lens is a 405-G1 lens from Jayrob. This lens crowds the diode giving more power but less beam quality appearance. It's a tradeoff.

HMike

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock Mike View Post
    I have built a portable 445 which has peaked at 1.98 Watts on my Scientech meter.
    I put a review of it on LPF. There is 3.4 ounces of alum heatsink in there and 2 of DrLava's drivers in parallel feeding 1.7 Amps. I stopped at that current because I burned a die bonding wire once at ~1.8 Amps
    The power chart shows 1.7 Watts. I changed to a different lens and got the added power. The other picture shows heatsink and driver mounting.

HMike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAIK4.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	22979 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAIK3.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	22980
    Now that.. I believe... nice work H_M....
    How much time have you got on that LD at those powers ??

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Being that it is a portable, I run it for 1 to 2 minutes at a time and have about 45 minutes on it in a couple weeks.
    It has never really gotten warm.

HMike

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock Mike View Post
    Being that it is a portable, I run it for 1 to 2 minutes at a time and have about 45 minutes on it in a couple weeks.
    It has never really gotten warm.

HMike
    Not bad, you seem to have found one of the better diodes in the batch. 1W is pretty common, but most of the 445's will only emit smoke when you crank them past 1,5A for too long.

I do wonder how it would act on longer runs like we use in show projectors (e.g. 30-60min at a time).

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    Not bad, you seem to have found one of the better diodes in the batch. 1W is pretty common, but most of the 445's will only emit smoke when you crank them past 1,5A for too long.

I do wonder how it would act on longer runs like we use in show projectors (e.g. 30-60min at a time).
    You would need good TEC cooled heatsinking mounted into a
    large thermal mass module rather than a Portable for prolonged
    running... I would imagine..
    The 445nm diode quickly drops power as it heats up internally..

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

First off, avoid AwesomeLasers like the plague. You would be quite surprised what I found out researching him. However, beside his personal failings, his business practices are atrocious. You can read the BS for yourself.

He says that his diodes are not harvested from a projector and goes on about how harvesting is dangerous. However, it is very clear in one of his pictures on Fleabay that his are also harvested from a projector. The case pin is cut off and you can see where there is left over plastic on the pin from where he heated the pin so much that it melted the small spacer/insulator piece that the maker uses in the projector.

Another example is also from his fleabay listing. How does $66.99 sound for one of these diodes pressed into an AixiZ module. That might be a bit higher than I and others sell them for, but the real kicker is in his shipping/handling. He is charging $45 for shipping this 12mmx30mm item that weighs less than one ounce!

If you need/want one of these diodes, I'll sell you one for $52 and press it into a module for an additional $5. I am not even the lowest priced seller

Re: 2W diodes:

I have blown one at 1.8W. Others are running them successfully at ~2W. However, remember that LPF is mostly focused on hand-held "pointers." In a hand-held, we are satisfied with 300 hours of diode life. That life translates to about 20 minutes of actual "on time" every day for two years. Most people never get close to 20 minutes of use EVERY DAY. That is a good life for a pointer. However, 300 hours is NOT much of a lifetime in a projector

In addition, Lasersbee's comment is very relevant to the use of these diodes in projectors. The output drops so fast as the diode heats up, that you can watch it on an LPM. If you push these diodes too high in a projector, especially with passive cooling, your color balance will not last very long.

The good news is that these diodes are pretty cheap. Combine more than one and run them at lower currents. You will be much happier in the long run.

Peace,
    dave

OMG.. this guy is nuts..
    on his page

"
    Q. Can a portable LASER be used as a "disruptor" weapon?
    A. Yes. The de-focused beam of a 200mw green or 200mw blue LASER can be used as a defensive weapon. With the focus ring turned completely Counter-Clockwise (CCW), these LASERS at close range will render a mugger or assailant temporarily blind (the green LASER is brighter for this purpose)."