Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with DAC connection

Default Help with DAC connection

I have a 250mw Nu-Light Animator dpss laser with the dongle & idla interface box. My problem is this , i used it with my old laptop which is now dead. My new one does not have the 25 way LPT port . Can i use a usb to parallel converter to connect to my DAC ? Thanks for any help.

im not sure about these devices - the problem may be that the biggest problem will be making the LA software output to usb, unless the usb to parallel converter simulates an lpt port that LA is happy to talk to.
    Where are you and do you have a real name? Please fill in your profile stating where you are - its a big help.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hi i live in the north east of scotland & my name is Aaron. I have had a few lasers in my time , including using the Laser systems Magnum 2 in Flicks nightclub. I use a prolific usb to serial that works fine as it simulates the com port , not on a laser but on some plc devices .

Hi Aaron
    like I said if the software creates a virtual lpt then you may get away with it. You could always get in touch with Mike at Nu-light - I believe they are still there (not far from me) he might be able to advise but hopefully it will work no trouble

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

I was told by mike that they are no use. Managed to repair old laptop so now have my build working to an extent.
    Is anyone on here knowlegable about Lambdapro UG modules ? My beam seems to be bigger than rated , beams not a tight line & when shone on a surface this is the result (see piccy ) . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beam.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	429.5 KB 
ID:	23262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inside.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	653.6 KB 
ID:	23263

Arron
    that pic isnt that telling - is the spot 0.1mm or 1m give us a scale and a distatance of throw and we may be able to work out if its normal.
    I personally have not been inside a lambda pro laser (one of the few I havent dicked about with) but there may be room for improvement but couldnt say without seeing it TBH.
    Is that its original housing from Nu-light? I ask as I have a projector in my posession that is built the same way - with Catweasles but a Laser Quantum head. Its clearly been hacked about but there are no makers marks on it and it differs from the nu-light products I am used to.

Rob

Its not a nu light casing , im only using the nu-light DAC & software. Distance is approx 1 mt & spot is approx 5mm . Looking at the module , the label is broken so someone has already been inside. This is my first build , made out of parts i have collected over the years . The case is from an old small argon laser. Thanks for the relplies.

Ok i see the laser I have looks like it was put together by a 3 year old - actually thats not true a 3 year old would have done a better job! Its truly appalling!
    As for your laser dot - that does sound a little divergent - is there an adjustable lens in the end of the module - if so you may get away with retuning the focus without having to go inside. If it looks like there is a thread but the adjuster ring is glued then see if this whole part will unscrew. Many lasers have a 'nose' that contains this lens and this can often be removed. Once off some gentle heat will soften the glue so you can get the ring moving before re-fit and refocus.
    If its not removable you may have to work out how to carefully pick the glue or dissolve it with something but great care must be taken what ever you do to not damage the lens or laser!
    Rob

Its got what looks like a ring type. I`ll give that a try .Thanks for your help Rob.

cool let us know how you get on
    and your welcome thats what this place is all about
    Rob