Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Argon JDSU 2214 ML help

Default Argon JDSU 2214 ML help

So i have everything wired up correctly, but when I power up the laser, the only thing happening is that the plasma tube glows, followed by a weak purple light coming off the aperture. I tried to adjust the power with a pot as well, no difference. I was told that the laser is misaligned. I paid oveer $550 for the whole setup, so I would really do whatever I can to get this laser working. It's my first gas laser and was like my dream to see the colours, especially of a multiline tube. I hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance.

If the plasma is igniting, but it is not lasing, I can only think of a couple of possibilities. Either the tube is worn out or the mirrors got knocked out of alignment.

If it was working before it was shipped, then I believe it could only be the mirrors. IMNHO it takes a pretty hefty smack to knock the mirrors out on these tubes. This is even more true if the laser is padded and packaged well.

The bad news is that re-aligning the mirrors on these tubes is not an easy task. The even worse news, I have never been successful at realigning the mirrors on one of those tubes. I don't even try any more.

We would have to see the packaging to know if that was a contributing factor.

Peace,
    dave

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Lets find out if the current is below lasing threshold, shall we?

I have aligned tubes like this before, and so have others here. It does require experience gained working on larger lasers with adjustable mirrors.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Lets find out if the current is below lasing threshold, shall we?

I have aligned tubes like this before, and so have others here. It does require experience gained working on larger lasers with adjustable mirrors.

Steve
    Each time I plug the psu cord in the wall socket, there is a spark. The electric circuit in the house I rent is old, thus, the psu might not even get the current it needs. I am using an extension cord with the psu, because if i directly plug the psu, the fuse on the breaker panel "falls" ( turn off ). The electric circuit im using is separate. It is used for the washing machine only.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershot View Post
    Each time I plug the psu cord in the wall socket, there is a spark. The electric circuit in the house I rent is old, thus, the psu might not even get the current it needs. I am using an extension cord with the psu, because if i directly plug the psu, the fuse on the breaker panel "falls" ( turn off ). The electric circuit im using is separate. It is used for the washing machine only.
    LORDY! Pretty lights are NOT worth burning your house down

I have heard of others having this problem with not getting enough current through extension cords. I didn't hear about this potential problem before with yours. Mixedgas will get you measuring correctly to see if it is getting what it needs. You are in good hands

Peace,
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by daguin View Post
    LORDY! Pretty lights are NOT worth burning your house down

I have heard of others having this problem with not getting enough current through extension cords. I didn't hear about this potential problem before with yours. Mixedgas will get you measuring correctly to see if it is getting what it needs. You are in good hands

Peace,
    dave
    is there a chance the laser is not getting enough current in my case?
    Last edited by Elektrotechniker; 01-23-2011 at 06:24.

I am using an extension cord with the psu, because if i directly plug the psu, the fuse on the breaker panel "falls" ( turn off ).
    well there's a thought!
    if the circuit breaker is tripping when you plug it in directly, and NOT tripping when you use the extension cord, the cord is not letting the same amount of current through, otherwise the circuit breaker would still trip...

or maybe this extension cord does not have the ground terminal connected??
    so the laser has leakage to ground somewhere? or some other fault in the psu?
    "its called character briggs..."

is there a chance the laser is not getting enough current in my case?
    Yes. I remember that, I believe it was, Jason (GooeyGus) had this problem when using a multi-plug strip. He plugged the unit directly into the wall and it worked.

I am a speech professor. Mixedgas is a laser expert. He can help you more with this question. He knows what the voltage and current need to be. Csshih's statement shows that there is a definite difference in current draw when using the cords.

Peace,
    dave

**EDIT** -- I just realized that this is not exactly an "advanced technical discussion." Keep your eyes open for it to be moved
    Last edited by daguin; 01-23-2011 at 07:56.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

quote:
    **EDIT** -- I just realized that this is not exactly an "advanced technical discussion." Keep your eyes open for it to be moved[/QUOTE]

Admin does not move/merge/delete threads unless it is the end of the world, or exigent circumstances of Biblical proportions, or one of the participants is mentally ill or is endangering others . Even then only one guy can do it, and he prefers not to. He starts with censure and then time-outs. Heck,maybe in the history of the board less then what, six or seven people have been "clue-by-foured".

If the extension cord or its connections has a resistance of as little as two ohms,it can really mess up the power supply control loop if the line voltage is low. Usually supplies recover from that if transferred to clean power.

Which model PSU do you have? Do you have a battery digital powered voltmeter?

We need to access the on board diagnostics if we can get at them, some models you can, others you can't.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-23-2011 at 08:51.