Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official sign-up thread for the 5th annual SELEM in Newton, NC - August 19th - 21st.

Thumbs up Official sign-up thread for the 5th annual SELEM in Newton, NC - August 19th - 21st.

What: the 5th annual South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting. 3 full days of laser shows, product demos, and lots of geek-and-tweak time with your fellow laserists! Expect to see many different laser shows (graphics, beams, abstracts, and lumia). There will be commercial software demonstrations, including Pangolin's Beyond, along with several hobbyist demonstrations, and even a new software release that is aimed directly at PL laserists! Bring your own gear to show it off, and also bring anything you'd like to sell or trade. (See other threads here on PL for more information.)

When: Event runs from Friday, August 19th through Sunday, August 21st. Starts at 10 AM each day and runs until midnight on Friday and Saturday. Sunday we shut down at 5:30 PM so we can be out by 7:30 PM. (Note: for those people bringing projectors or other gear, the load-in and setup will be on Thursday, August 18th from noon until 5 PM.)

Where: Newton, North Carolina, at the Newton-Conover Auditorium. Newton is aprox. 50 minutes by car from the Charlotte International Airport, and about an hour and a half from both the Asheville, NC Airport and the Greensboro, NC Airport.

Who: Open to Laserists/Hobbyists and their guests. All attendees (including guests) will be required to sign a liability waiver and covenant not to sue. No set limit on the number of guests (try not to abuse this), and remember that this is an adult event. Please do not bring small children. Teenage children are allowed if they can be properly supervised by the member who invited them.

How much: Entry fee is $50 per Laserist/Hobbyist. For that, you will receive one official SELEM shirt (short-sleeve, collared polo shirt with a custom embroidered logo) and entry for the 3-day event. Any guests you want to bring are welcomed, but if they want their own shirts, they will need to order them in advance. (Extra shirts are $20 each.) Payment can be via paypal to adburns@sc.rr.com, or by check payable to Adam Burns (mail to: 102 Nightingale Manor Charleston SC 29418-3038) If you pay at the door, you can still attend, but you will not receive a shirt. (The shirts have to be custom-embroidered and the order is usually closed out a few weeks before SELEM.) EDIT: the shirt order has been finalized. If you sign up after today, you probably won't get a shirt.

Lodging: The Trotthouse Inn Bed and Breakfast, The Peacock Inn Bed and Breakfast, and The Holiday Inn Express in Conover are all very close (less than 5 miles) from the venue, and they are all priced about the same (near $100 per night with tax). There are more affordable motels along the I-40 corridor within 12 to 15 miles of the Newton-Conver exit at mile marker 130.

EDIT: It has been confirmed that we have a special group rate of $79 per night for rooms at the Holiday Inn Express, but you need to tell them you're with the SELEM laser group!

Schedule:
    Thursday, August 18th

Meet at the auditorium in the rear (at the loading dock) at 12 noon to load-in and set up any gear you want to bring. We will be setting up tables and chairs on the stage (behind the main curtain) for computers, controllers, and networking gear, while on the stage apron we will have scaffolding and trussing set up to hold laser projectors, beam rails, and any other effects. Load-in will continue until 5 PM.

The Pre-SELEM dinner party will begin at 6 PM Thursday evening at The Artist's Cafe in downtown Newton. This usually lasts until 10 PM, if not later.
    EDIT: The Artist's Cafe lost their lease, so they are currently closed. We will have to decide on some other restaurant for the pre-SELEM dinner party. Decision will probably be made at the venue when load-in is complete.
    EDIT: The location of the dinner party has changed. It's now at the Bistro 127 in Hickory

Friday, August 19th

SELEM officially begins at 10 AM. All attendees must sign a waiver when they arrive. Name tags & lanyards will be provided. Shows will be running in the main auditorium most of the day. Schedules will be posted in the lobby and backstage areas denoting times for specific show themes.

Backstage areas will be available for work on 3 phase lasers (in the men's dressing room) and for buy-sell-trade tables (in the woman's dressing room). Special presentations will also be held upstairs in the classroom area on Friday. This will include a demonstration of Pangolin's new "Beyond" software and Dr Lava's new "Lasershow Express" software. EDIT: The special presentations will be moved to Saturday due to scheduling conflicts.

A meal will be served in the main lobby in the late afternoon (around 4 PM).

Events in the auditorium will have to stop before midnight, but for any die-hard laser fans, additional fun can be had back at the conference room at the Holiday Inn Express, where many SELEM attendees will be gathering and running more shows until the wee hours of the morning.

Saturday, August 20th

Once again, official start time is 10 AM. Entire day will be devoted to laser shows in the main auditorium, with some product demonstrations and other hobbyist events occurring in the lobby area. Backstage areas will be available as before, but it is unlikely that we will have anything going on in the upstairs classroom.

Meals will be "on your own" for the entire day. There will be scheduled breaks for meals, but many members will no doubt choose to stay at the venue and either have food delivered, or simply run out for some fast-food take-out and then return.

EDIT: Special presentations will be held upstairs in the classroom area on Saturday.

We must be finished by midnight in the auditorium, but as on Friday, there will be an "after party" in the conference room at the Holiday Inn Express for those people who can't go to bed until the early morning!

Sunday, August 21st.

Last day of SELEM. Start at 10 AM and run until about 5:30 PM or so. Meals "on your own" as before. At 5:30 we have to stop, as we need to tear everything down, pack it all up, and be out of the auditorium by 7:30 PM. Many people will head back to the Holiday Inn Express conference room afterward for some last-minute fun, but others will be headed home.

Last year, we had Casey Stack's laser safety lecture on the Monday following, and it was very popular. I am trying to organize something like that for this year, but as it stands right now, I do not have any confirmed speakers for the Monday after SELEM. Watch this space for more info about any special events for Monday, August 22nd.

EDIT: This year we will have Greg Makhov in attendance, and he will be putting on a 1-day Laser Safety Officer certification class on that Monday (Aug 22nd) after SELEM. The cost of the LSO class will be $445 per person. See this thread for more details, including how to sign up.

It has been confirmed that Mike Dunn from Firstlight Laser will be attending SELEM for at least a day or two! (Woot!)
    It has also been confirmed that Sam Goldwasser (of Sam's Laser FAQ) will be at SELEM this year! How cool is that?

See you all at SELEM 5!

Adam

List of people who have paid to attend as of 8-17-2011 (will update and edit as time goes on):

Allthatwhichis
    Araugh
    Beaman
    Bradfo69
    Buffo
    Cfavreau
    Daedal
    Daguin
    DanBarlow
    Displaser
    DJMatt
    DocJohn
    DrLava
    Drm916
    DZ
    Flecom
    Hakzaw1
    Icecruncher
    Imagelight
    Ireedz
    Jib
    Jimboy3625
    Johnyayas
    Laserock
    LaserWizard
    Lazerjock
    Lazerman121
    Lulighttec
    MarioMaster
    MassiveSound
    MeatBall
    Platinum
    Polishedball
    Pontiacg5
    Ragdoll
    Rgb-gas
    Rocket689
    SpaceJay
    Stuka
    Telmnstr
    X-Laser

Special guests:
    Sam Goldwasser
    Bill Benner
    Mike Dunn
    Last edited by buffo; 08-17-2011 at 20:08. Reason: updated sign-up list

Red face

I'm 50/50 at the moment pending reality adjustment...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Payment sent. "Small" shirt. Planing to arrive in town Wednesday night and be there through Sunday late afternoon.

C'mon August!!

~Brad

I'm still trying to hash out my work schedule. Still don't know.

If it ends up we can't come, it will open up a room at the Trott. I will give everyone and Anne plenty of notice if we can't come.

/me crosses fingers

Smile

Brad;

If you'd rather arrive on Thursday, that would be fine, as there won't be anything going on until Thursday at noon. (That way you might be able to extend your stay through Monday and still have the same number of days away from work!)

Doug and Aaron;

Really hope you guys can make it! Stay in touch as we get closer...

Adam

i will make it there somehow... might be sleeping in the car though lol

I will be there.

Sounds like a blast.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Brad;

If you'd rather arrive on Thursday, that would be fine, as there won't be anything going on until Thursday at noon. (That way you might be able to extend your stay through Monday and still have the same number of days away from work!)
    My only thought about driving down in the evening and arriving at say, midnight Wednesday, is that it allows for sleeping in late and relaxing BEFORE the endurance marathon. Alternatively is tossing and turning and leaving at 4-5 a.m., driving 500+ miles and having a full afternoon setting up and potential late evening Thursday, then being "behind" the remainder of the weekend. Last year I pushed too hard trying to get every thing into 55 hours. We'll see...

I will be going to Selem
    Takes a moment to put moneyz on my paypall

Oh, I guess I'll go this year too...

- Jonathan