Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: DTR's Laser Shop: Diodes-Drivers-Lenses-LEDs & More

That is what we are trying to figure out with the testing. Cyparagon the one doing the testing and a lot of the members in that thread are interested in being able to incorporate these into scanners/projectors. There are a lot of people over there that are interested in more than just pointers but I know how some here feel about over there. I myself am planning on building a nice projector but I still have a lot of learning to do before I get my project mapped out.

In the end if these can be driven to 400-500mW and you end up having to say cut 50%(25%--25%) of the beam off then use some form of correction to get the rest of the beam to a usable divergence it could still be well worth it and since the projection industry is driving most of the development of these new lights sources I think it is certainly worth the effort to find ways to make these useful to us.

Thanks for all this Jordan-I told you long ago that you will be doing your own projector someday son- cant wait to see how you will use your great skillz .

DTR,
    Sorry about not being clear in my earlier post asking about "these modules". I was actually interested in the LED modules that you extract from the TV projectors. Lots of non coherent light to illuminate a dance floor is the goal.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    DTR,
    Sorry about not being clear in my earlier post asking about "these modules". I was actually interested in the LED modules that you extract from the TV projectors. Lots of non coherent light to illuminate a dance floor is the goal.
    Thanks
    No problem.

Alright guys check the thread for the full rundown.
    It starts on this post.
    http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/he...tml#post970935

Here are the cliff notes.

First I tried it @ 600mA and got about 530mW with a G-2 lens.

Next I went up to 750mA and got 700mW.

Then I took some beamshots

While I was sitting there taking the pictures I thought damn that looks as bright as my 445's so I checked the current. 1.5A.

So I said what the hell.

Ok so 1.6A did not LED it I wonder what it is putting out there.

Next I ran it for 7 minutes @ 1.5A and it has not killed it.

Now none of this tells us for sure where you should be running these diodes but it does say they are tough as hell.

The G-2 is what I tested with. Some have said the 650-G-1 would have even a little more power transmission. The quantity of 635's is down to only one so you may want to grab it quick.(No Pressure) It won't let you order after it goes to zero until I change the button to a pre-order for the next batch that should be here by Thursday next week.

Here are the different lenses I tested with.
    405-G-2

O-Like 405-445 Glass

AR coated acrylic for RED

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1017818.jpg  

Last edited by DTR; 05-03-2014 at 12:24.

so, all we need to know now is a bit about beam characteristics and a form of correction and we can forget about LPCs, opnext, NECSEL etc etc

Can a readily available solution from the 445 camp do the trick? Cylinders maybe? (i dare not speak of a FAC lens, as the answeers given to me last time by two very kind and knowledgable gentlemen made my mind flip... http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...-lens-question )
    "its called character briggs..."

Nice call dude!

Well shit, @ that price I couldn’t pass up getting a few.
    You got any info’s on beam size/shape @ the aperture and far field…. divergence?

Whats this? A good powerful red LD?

Can someone summarise this in a few words for me please, as photos and youtube are blocked here in China. You got me excited!

well, it is a 5.6mm, 635nm, 300mw rated diode that can take as much abuse as a 445, but has an emmiter size of 100um, so we need some evidence of a usable beam
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    well, it is a 5.6mm, 635nm, 300mw rated diode that can take as much abuse as a 445, but has an emmiter size of 100um, so we need some evidence of a usable beam
    Ah, ok thanks. Does it have vastly different fast and slow axis similar to the 445?

Well, even a slightly fatter beam wouldn't necessarily that bad. People say they are unusable for graphics. Well, the old large frame ions had fat beams and large divergence when using multimode optics, they worked okay. I am gonna give the reds a go.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.