Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: DTR's Laser Shop: Diodes-Drivers-Lenses-LEDs & More

Correction is pretty simple really.... From what i'm seeing the properties are close to the 445 1w diodes. The FA divergence is a little bit worse in practice. And the emitter is 3 times wider. So, using the same FL lens as used on a 445 will give close to the same results with ~3X worse divergence. This means with an 8mm FL aixis type lens the beam will be 5mm X ~2mm with a ~5 mRad divergence. If you want the far spot to equal that of a 445 diode with a olike lens then.... Use a 8mm Fl lens and a 3x telescope or prism pair. However, you will loose over half the diodes power because with an 8mm olike or aixiz lens the clear aperture is around 5mm. The 638 diodes FA is 35 deg. So, Tan(35) X (16) = 11mm. 5mm/11mm X 100 = %45. It would be better to use a shorter FL high NA aspheric lens. With a 4mm G1 type lens you will get a 5mm X 1mm at exit with 9-10 mRad. Note you will still loose alot of power from clipping. With this set-up you should use cylindrical lens telescopes because the prisms will have huge loses.

Steve,
    The solution you envisioned for the large waste and the fading march of each beam circulation with a prism assumes such high losses. A quality prism with even a simple anti-reflection coating should not have very high losses. The p1t8ull GB prisms when used for the 445 diodes only have a loss of aprox. 2% per surface. If extreme angles are causing the extreme loss then cascading 2 or even 4 prisms at more optimal angles may solve this. For example, two prisms each set at 48 degrees should produce the same doubling of the effected axis.

We will crack these. We must! High power reds is the new holy grail and the last one we need. My two 635s just got here today. As soon as I am off for the week, it is time to experiment. Wondering if we should move this thread, considering this started as an advert for DTR's 445s
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I certainly don't mind the free bumps.

Ok, I'm at home now and have had a couple of glasses of wine (among a couple of shotz) .. so here goes:

Logsquared: It is clear that you are an intelligent person and you provided a lot of good info, but misspelling drives me crazy:
    will still loose alot of power from clipping
    It is spelled lose..loose is something that is not tight.

You are providing a standard solution. We (or maybe just I) .. are looking for something revolutionary, new and different than the standard optical practices in use today. Looking for something "awesome", to use an already extremely over-used cliche..

Planters: Thanks for the info. 4 prisms ain't gonna cut it. There is another alternative out there if I have to sh*t it out my a$$.. lol.

I like the fiber solution provided by Wickedlaserdry but I'd like to see it in the form of a small BK-7 glass cylynder.

..Yes I know I'm going to catch hell for all my misspelliongs in this post .. lol .. y'all have a good one ..

P
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    I certainly don't mind the free bumps.
    Good point

15 abc123

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Ok, I'm at home now and have had a couple of glasses of wine (among a couple of shotz) .. so here goes:

Logsquared: It is clear that you are an intelligent person and you provided a lot of good info, but misspelling drives me crazy:

You are providing a standard solution. We (or maybe just I) .. are looking for something revolutionary, new and different than the standard optical practices in use today. Looking for something "awesome", to use an already extremely over-used cliche..

Planters: Thanks for the info. 4 prisms ain't gonna cut it. There is another alternative out there if I have to sh*t it out my a$$.. lol.

I like the fiber solution provided by Wickedlaserdry but I'd like to see it in the form of a small BK-7 glass cylynder.

..Yes I know I'm going to catch hell for all my misspelliongs in this post .. lol .. y'all have a good one ..
    With a couple of glasses of wine in you, misspellings are to be expected!

What fiber solution are you talking about? I'd like to here more about it.

Solarfire described a complicated custom collimnator he built some time ago using two orthogonal cylinder lenses to fine tune the divergence of a 445 diode. This was a first stage collimnator used instead of the typical single small lens such as the O-like. If your looking for awesome with these large asymmetric emitters your best bet will be to deal with each axis independently and as close to the source as possible.

Soorry about the misspelling. English wasn't my strong subject.

Here is different way to correct a beam. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...minimum-optics

I think you are trying to beat physics. You will never do it Divergence and beam size are directly related. I think, in general, we are gonna have to get comfortable with larger mirrors.

What beam specs are you after anyway?

Steve, please do not loose the plot over simple spelling mistakes! Perhaps mrsquare should turn his spullchucker on?

If your looking for something new to correct the optics, I was thinking about an extensive gravity well placed in close proximity to the divergent beam to bend the beam. Something the size of 10 Sun's should do, but this is not practical or is it? Another idea I had was to inject the laser beam in to a black hole which would crush the beam nicely into noodle like strings, all we need do then is work out how to open an output portal in the black hole.