Page 37 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: DTR's Laser Shop: Diodes-Drivers-Lenses-LEDs & More

^^^^Yep I am out of them currently. I am looking to get more but pricing is not good on them.

On the PL520 murder currently 1A has been put in one and it still has not died. It just dims after 750mA and lights back up when the current is turned down like the 445's and the mitsu diodes when too much current is applied. These seem to also be some tough little buggers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...RX0ozV1E#gid=0

I have received several requests to murder one of the new Opnext 120mW Single Mode 638 Diodes (HL63603TG) so here is some data I put together tonight. If someone wants to make a graph that would be great. Looks like we have another tough as nails diode here that just won't die. Pumped 1.3A in this tiny 3.8mm diode and it stopped lasing but as usual of late with these newer diodes it did not kill it. Just turned it down and it kept on kicking.

Datasheet

This tesing was done with a G-2 in rapid succession so the increase in power may have been reduced by heat a bit.

Last edited by DTR; 05-03-2014 at 12:36.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

I'm on a slow cellular connection and can't download the pics or watch the video. What do you feel is a safe operating current and output power?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I would say 250mA-300mA would be fine. I would like to see some tests with cooling. If you could get 250-300mW out of them that would be pretty sweet. This test showed a pretty stable 200mW with 300mA no cooling.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Excellent!

I wonder if I can fit them in my Edison quad kit with some 5.6 to 3.8mm adapters.....

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    I would say 250mA-300mA would be fine. I would like to see some tests with cooling. If you could get 250-300mW out of them that would be pretty sweet. This test showed a pretty stable 200mW with 300mA no cooling.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Some pretty interesting testing going on over @ LPF for a 5W+ C-mount 650nm W/FAC. See this thread.
    http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/te...ode-82919.html

Quote Originally Posted by lazeerer View Post
    Wheeeeeeeee.!

In all fairness to multimode diodes Ive seen 500mW and 1W 650/660nm C-mount diodes with FAC that are worse then this.

For 5W to give this type of beam specs iam impressed.:wave.

Further more You dont get a nasty line effect like the Mitsubishi 635nm diodes give off which have even worse beam specs. Especially with a short FL lens. The beam is Huge. Again Further more me and RHD had some Mitsubishi 635nm 300 diode custom done with "FAC" put on them about a year ago. I still have one. If I remember correctly even those where worse then this with the FAC on too.

THis time is rated over 10x that power. So thats impressive alone.

At least with these high power 650nm diodes you get a more Uniform like beam. Square like.

I found 2 focal points at infinity that looks nice with the lens iam using.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: That this is the beam specs with my lens. Remember this diode has an FAC on it.!

I can make the dot Half the size of this if i wanted too by using a even longer FL lens.

Iam using only a 45mm FL lens. 45mm to 50mm FL seems about right for this diode as the beam is not fat at all if your comparing to Multimode. I think you might be able to go up to 75mm before you can call it a Fat beam.

You cant comepare a multimode sevral Watt diode to a single mode diode. THey dont make single mode diodes this powerful.

Even if you where going to try and combine XXX amount of single mode 660nm diodes you would not be able to get that much of a better spot unless you are building a projector or something.

THis is a Snuggle diode.

So In my Opinion this is a Tight beam for a diode of such and square like. Or slightly rectangle depending on the infinity spot you have it at.

This Square like beam makes the beam appearer more round like. If that makes sence.

What i mean is fuller.

Unlike say a 445nm diode or even worse the 638nm Mitsubishi diodes that have that nasty line which makes for a very ugly beam IMO.

This is not the first 650/660nm C-mount diode Ive played with. Ive seen just about all the china supplied ones first hand and tested them all out there and some are worse then this and they are not even close to this power.

Point is yes its a Multimode diode but the beam is not as bad compared to other FAC diodes Ive seen.

Though i must say the 445nm diode i put a FAC on is Super tight. near Single mode Specs with a 50mm FL lens and about double that with a 25mm FL lens:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/i-...diy-81547.html

FAC diodes are by far not new to me. So i can say this is a pretty good beam for 5W. RATED

We might be able to push these to 7W or more. Who knows. I might risk a diode to test it that hard. We see.:eg:

I had also bought a overseas 650nm 500mW handheld laser and took it apart to see the insides and what they did was use a 1W 650nm diode Clipped the heck out of the beam and a Long FL lens to give a nicer Square like dot.

I also took apart a 1W version. They just dint have any clipping of the beam. and the beam specs where worse then the 500mW. "As they stated"

This is Raw Power through a lens. No beam clipping.

Here are a couple pictures at 28 feet.

The lens again is ~ 50mm
    If i used a even longer FL lens i could make the Dot even smaller but the beam would be slightly thicker.

At the Aperture the beam is 4.90mm to either 5.10mm "Its hard to tell"
    At the Aperture the fast Aixiz is 1mm - 1.2mm "Again its hard to tell"

and here is the dot at 28 feet:

With the other focal spot i mentioned the beam is Just half as wide. Basically rectangle like.

Mitch the package is C-Mount with FAC.

@awillis2589

Yeah these truly are Monsters. Scary POWER. I have not come across a Visible Wavelength diode that can take this currant "Safely" Only IR diodes.

The beam is super bright. Its the brightest red ive seen to date and most of you know iam big red lover.

I know Mitch is Drooling. He loves read as much as i do.

A couple close up beam shots. Running the diode at 3W here:

What else you guys want to see.?

Oh I just remembered i also have some TEC's that are designed for diodes and have a hole in the middle. Perfect for C-Mount diodes for the screw to go down the middle and screw into the cold plate. (Or use them with Low Power Can like diodes)

It keeped my 1W 650 cool at 5 -10 C at full power currant going to the diode in a small heatsink host. (Size of one of those 400mW 532nm fire dragon like hosts)

Iam not sure if they will be able to keep these diode that cold but maybe hold them at ~20C-25C room temp which would also be good and what you see my results in the video where at.

@styropyro Your Welcome.

@ARG Price at the moment is above for the 2 i have.
    Indium foil would be even better. I can get 200pcs made pre cut for C-mount diode for these.

???

Oh and the video:

5 WATTS:

I dont think there is much room above the 5W rating.

It seems they got a little more to go then how far i went but i would not push it for what an extra 500mW.LOL

Plus the temp and this heatsink was bouncing around so Use your best judgment on power MAX.

I would say these can do 4.3W+ easy after Lens at room temp.

We can probably get another WATT out of them chilling them down.
    Last edited by DTR; 06-04-2013 at 17:43.

5 watts from a single diode??? That's absurd!!

Thats cool! Now if it was just 635nm heh j/k .. Are you going to be carrying these in stock DTR?
    Oh -and a side-note, I read someone posted something about thermal grease on a c-mount laser diode. Not a good idea, from what I've read ..

Thermal grease should not be
    used with a C-mount laser. Most thermal greases tend to “creep” and the material will
    eventually contaminate the laser facets

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Thats cool! Now if it was just 635nm heh j/k ..
    At 5 watts per diode, does it even matter?? :-P

What else you guys want to see.?
    What is the beam size at the collimating lens? The measurements in the text above confuse me a little. Thanks.
    Last edited by planters; 06-03-2013 at 08:37.