Page 44 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: DTR's Laser Shop: Diodes-Drivers-Lenses-LEDs & More

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    Steve i was thinking of the cylinder lens on the slow axis and then a focusing lens
    To finish it off , this should give a nice spot to start with instead of the
    Thin line that there is in the pics at the moment
    Yea, I'm not sure what's going on with the pics. I'm thinking with the FAC built into the diode the FA and the SA should be equal, resulting in the square shape, that could be focused into a nice square "dot". When the prisms were added, that probably would make the line. Maybe an optics expert can jump in and analyze this .. I wouldn't mind getting one of these diodes just to x-per-mint myself. Gotta pay the bills 1st tho :/

This is why i thought a cylinder lens might be good , look at this http://www.newport.com/Beam-Shaping-...3/content.aspx
    And treat the first lens as the fac and the second lens as the cylinder lens i am on about.
    I would love to try this on the p73 but cant find any lenses with a short enough fl
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

I am curious what these diodes were intended for, they are BEASTS!! Pumping something perhaps??
    There are no SS crystals I am aware of that would absorb in this band, but the OPSL semiconductors might. I don't know. My suspicion is that they were to be used as direct light sources for projection systems and with quantities like these as surplus, then probably consumer ones.
    Last edited by planters; 06-16-2013 at 18:32.

Now the Ben@ projectors are discontinued I am back on the hunt again for a source for the 9mm 445's. There is a unit that had been $3000 for a while which I have not pulled the trigger on yet but they just dropped to $2000 so I figured I would give it a shot. Got the unit in and here is the breakdown.

Found there are five standard phillips head screws on the back to get the unit open.

After removing the screws on the outer side it still did not come off so I looked to see what was still holding it on.

Appears the front pops off first.

Then the top cover is released and revealed the inside. At this point my heart sunk as I had seen this before.

Compare this picture of the Opt!m& to this V!ews0nic. Keep in mind the price when the Opt!m& came out I found one for $1500 and this unit has been $3000 for the longest time till now. Very slight differences but looks to be the exact same hardware and configuration. Not sure what justified the price difference in the units.

Anyway so I continued the teardown which ends up being pretty much identical to the Opt!m& teardown.

So as with the optima unit this unit has 18 9mm diodes and the same crappy lenses making this probably the worst value teardown I have seen yet.

Interesting to note here is you saw on the label on the block it listed the max output @ 40W which would give each diode a max of 2.2W.

So there we have it. Not a great source. Sometimes you find a winner, sometimes you find a looser. You never know till you try.

DTR,
    I just found this thread. I don't know how I missed it for so long, but I have a question.
    I've read 99% of the thread and visited your site, I'm looking for a replacement for my 650 nm LOC diodes for my projector. I'm considering your Mitsubishi 500mW 638 Diode in Copper Module W/Leads & G-2 Glass Lens , but I see that there are other choices for lenses. I will be installing this in a graphics projector with a first generation 445 uncorrected. Which optic should I go with, and is the 500 mw 638 the best choice for my application?

Are you going to SELEM?

Thanks,
    Chris

You will want the 405-g2 IMO. More importantly you will need cycndrical lens correction to make it useable in A beam or graphics box.

[=Lazerjock;263150]DTR,
    I just found this thread. I don't know how I missed it for so long, but I have a question.
    I've read 99% of the thread and visited your site, I'm looking for a replacement for my 650 nm LOC diodes for my projector. I'm considering your Mitsubishi 500mW 638 Diode in Copper Module W/Leads & G-2 Glass Lens , but I see that there are other choices for lenses. I will be installing this in a graphics projector with a first generation 445 uncorrected. Which optic should I go with, and is the 500 mw 638 the best choice for my application?

Are you going to SELEM?

Thanks,
    Chris[/QUOTE]
    leading in trailing technology

If I read your post correct you are recommending the 405 nm diode. I'm looking for a replacement for my 650 nm diodes I currently use.

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    You will want the 405-g2 IMO. More importantly you will need cycndrical lens correction to make it useable in A beam or graphics box.

[=Lazerjock;263150]DTR,

Are you going to SELEM?

Thanks,
    Chris
    [/QUOTE]

The lens is a 405g2. I know u want red. I have built 10 638 mitshu up.
    leading in trailing technology

Ahh Thanks!

Chris

Yep and the G-2-LFL works great with the 300 and 500mW 638 diodes as well.