Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: DTR's Laser Shop: Diodes-Drivers-Lenses-LEDs & More

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    With correction optics should be a nice dot . Balls there dude.
    Yea I would assume with how similar to the 445nm diodes the same correction methods would work for them. Somebody needed to take a shot to see what they can do.

Oclaro 700mW 638nm Diode (HL63193MG)

I will start with a saying it looks like I was wrong about these. I had a sample in my hand a month ago which I destroyed after running it only for a few seconds before killing it via a stupid mistake. In my short glimpse of the beam profile I was sure the divergence was better than the Mitsu diodes but my testing tonight has made me question my sanity. Looks like I may have got a lot of peoples hopes up and I am sorry for that.

First thing I did was to compare it to a G71 diode both using a standard G-2 glass lens. While it is a fraction smaller when I actually measured it they are nearly the same.

So with that said lets get on with the power test.

So there we have it the Oclaro 700mW 638nm diode. Hopefully this helps bring this diode into perspective..

It looks like the "wings" are not as pronounced.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

3.5W NDB7A75 445nm Laser Diode

Finally got around to doing some testing on this bad boy. I think this is comfortable running @ 3.5A for a very stable output and 4A max if you want to push it a bit. Here is a quick video.

The divergence of the diode does take a hit compared to the M140's and NDB7875's(9mm 445's) we have been using.

Now on to the power test with a G-2 lens.

Three Element Glass

G-2

There we have it a very powerful 445nm diode but a with a pretty wide divergence.

Last edited by DTR; 04-18-2014 at 20:24.

My god.... 8~9W PBS'd.... that is just insane! I love seeing your torture tests, Jordan! Awesome stuff!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Anyone know which page the 73 diode test is on so I can compare against the Oclaro please?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Great job as usual Jordan! I'll be getting one of those reds! (probably more) Seeing as it compares well to the G71 means that the stripe is a lot better than the P73, right? And that blue..wow. How much worse is the divergence than the 9mm?
    -edit- n/m that last question; I just re-read the description of the 445 comparison pic.
    Last edited by steve-o; 04-18-2014 at 05:25.

The divergence is just as expected based on the size of the emitter. The G71 performs better than the P73 because its emitter is also smaller than that of the P73 and if I remember correctly the G71 emitter closely matches the Oclaro's. So, this is not a disappointment, but a confirmation. The real money is what the power output can be. Short of running one to burn out we need to see how the curve of output compares to current to see where the power peaks or where the efficiency begins to drop and the curve begins to round over. Based on the few data points in the images that are near the top end, this doesn't look too good and if this is similar to the G71 as well, then that would be a problem as both are canned and the Oclaro is twice as expensive.

I will start with a saying it looks like I was wrong about these. I had a sample in my hand a month ago which I destroyed after running it only for a few seconds before killing it via a stupid mistake. In my short glimpse of the beam profile I was sure the divergence was better than the Mitsu diodes but my testing tonight has made me question my sanity. Looks like I may have got a lot of peoples hopes up and I am sorry for that.
    Ok, I'm a bit confused.

I thought the last pics you showed (on the thread where you killed the sample) you were comparing against the P73 500mW Mitsu, and you were showing that the stripe was thinner for the same power (roughly!)

Now you are showing it against the G71 300mW Mitsu, and it looks like an identical sized stripe, and yet you are saying it isn't any better.

As Planters pointed out above, it looks like you've just confirmed that it IS better, and exactly as expected - it gives G71 beam size with P73 power!

Or are there some labels amiss somewhere?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Anyone know which page the 73 diode test is on so I can compare against the Oclaro please?
    I will try to spend some time this weekend to get more testing on other diodes I carry up and I have been looking to organize these a little better so I made a guide to all the testing and teardowns I have have done and put it in the OP. I have not actually done a testing post on the P73 but I will put it top of my list to get one up. Here is what I have so far.

Testing!!!

Diodes
    Opnext 120mW Single Mode 638 Diodes (HL63603TG)
    Mitsubishi 300mW 638nm Diodes (ML520G71)
    Oclaro 700mW 638nm Diode (HL63193MG)
    Nichia NDB7875 445nm 9mm Laser Diode
    3.5W NDB7A75 445nm Laser Diode
    Osram PLTB450 1.4W 450nm Laser Diode
    Osram 1.6W PLTB450B 450nm Laser Diode
    Osram PL520 50mW 520nm Laser Diode
    Osram PLP520-B1 520nm Green Laser Diode
    Nichia NDG7475 1W 520nm Laser Diode

Teardowns
    LX60ST
    ZX210ST
    PT-RW330U
    PRO9000
    K750

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Ok, I'm a bit confused.

I thought the last pics you showed (on the thread where you killed the sample) you were comparing against the P73 500mW Mitsu, and you were showing that the stripe was thinner for the same power (roughly!)

Now you are showing it against the G71 300mW Mitsu, and it looks like an identical sized stripe, and yet you are saying it isn't any better.

As Planters pointed out above, it looks like you've just confirmed that it IS better, and exactly as expected - it gives G71 beam size with P73 power!

Or are there some labels amiss somewhere?
    Well I had a G71 on hand and was running short on time. I actually thought the G71 and P73 were very close and it would not make a difference but I will try to get a comparison with a P73 tonight.