Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: DTR's Laser Shop: Diodes-Drivers-Lenses-LEDs & More

Pioneer 16X BDR-209DBK

I picked up one of these drives to see if there are any upgrades to the 405nm diode in the 209 over its previous revisions. Unit was $72.

Got it and tore it down.

So I got the diodes out and looks to be a 3.8mm diode and a flat package red/IR combo diode.

After mounting it up time for a power test using a 405-G-2 lens.

Graph courtesy of ARG.

So this diode is a clear improvement over the 14X found in the LG Drive I did late last year. These very much have promise and may be the same as the ones Angelo's has been getting.
    Last edited by DTR; 12-29-2016 at 08:08.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

are those single mode??

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    I picked up one of these drives to see if there are any upgrades to the 405nm diode in the 209 over its previous revisions. Unit was $72.
    Last edited by swamidog; 04-22-2014 at 07:46.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Did we need the quote?

Image overloooooooooooaaad.................
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

fixed

"the myth of the killer ape is true"

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Did we need the quote?

Image overloooooooooooaaad.................
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    are those single mode??
    Yep single mode. Has to be to be effective in a bluray burner. I have had one running 750mA diong 1150mW for over a month with a lot of use with no degredation and have set up 15 more units for members on LPF @ 700mA for an average 1050mW and no deaths reported yet but it is early to say what is a safe current but clearly these are much greater power than the S06J diodes.

i am performing an interpretive dance suggesting great joy and amazement.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    Yep single mode. Has to be to be effective in a bluray burner. I have had one running 750mA diong 1150mW for over a month with a lot of use with no degredation and have set up 15 more units for members on LPF @ 700mA for an average 1050mW and no deaths reported yet but it is early to say what is a safe current but clearly these are much greater power than the S06J diodes.

Nichia 1.4W NDB7675 462nm Laser Diode

Datasheet

First thing I noticed is the beam shape and divergence seems to be the same as the 1.6W NDB7875 445nm diode. Minor differences in shape here is just from small focusing differences.

My camera does not do the best job of picking it up but there is a touch of violet to the NDB7875 445nm compared to the NDB7675 462nm.

Now here is the power test of the diode.

@ 1.9A the rate of return seemed to be dropping off so no need to push it any further.

There is speculation this is the same production as the NDB7875 but diodes that binned very high and were pulled to sell in different binned lots. I think this make sense as observations seem to show wavelength and efficiency are inversely proportional with the 445nm diodes. Meaning out of X number of the same M140's or NDB7875's the ones that are highly efficient tend to be slightly lower in wavelength and the ones that are high in wavelength tend to be less efficient. This is based off observations from Lazeerer when he binned a large lot of 445 diodes for wavelength and efficiency.

Oclaro 170mW 635nm Single Mode Laser Diode (HL63133DG)

Datasheet

Got some of the 2013 revision 4's of these diodes. Not sure they are really different but they seem much better than the last time I tested a previous revision of this diode. I remembered it LEDed running just a little over the max suggested current so I avoided them in the past. These are like a lot of newer diodes where thy can take a lot of abuse. Above 400mA there was no power increase and sat @ 250-260mW but even @ 550mA it was steady with no power drop.

First thing you notice is the diode has a fairly long can on it.

Here is the power test with a G-2.

[IMG]ttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/842/80zmi.jpg[/IMG]

2W M462 462nm Laser Diode

This spot reserved for wavelength graphs. Lazeerer will prove in the coming days. Supplier said they graphed two samples @ 1.6A and they were 467.65nm and 467.91nm so I have high hopes for them.

Spot size. Now this the best I could do at the moment. I will try to get a picture more aligned later but it is a pain. The spot/line on the M462 is just a little smaller than the M140 and less splash from dye reflection.

Now for the power test. No animals were harmed in the making of this test but two poor diodes were mortally wounded.:gun:

!!!Not Suggested to proceed past this point. 1.8A Max Suggested!!!

!!!Zombified!!!:cryyy:

Zombie running @ 800mA still does 550mW but if you try to increase it looses power....

So that is it for now More info to be added as it comes in.

Exciting! Glad I waited before pulling the trigger on the NDB7676 diodes. These look better and are cheaper. Any chance on some lower powered, SM diodes of similar wavelength?
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.