Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spectra Physics 171

Default Spectra Physics 171

We acquired a SP 171 laser system (including the massive power supply) about to be thrown away at my university (UCSB) and we are wondering if it is worth trying to power up, or if there is anyone who is looking for these beasts.

The head is massive, a good 8ft long, and is an Argon filled head with a tuning prism. The initial inspection of the system looked good, the tube looks great, there weren't any blown fuses on the passbank, etc. The hour meter reads just over 1300 hours, so it probably has a bit of life left in it.

I have a few pictures below, any comments? We could probably get access to some 3 phase, probably not the 50a that is needed to get it running at full power but we should at least be able to get the tube to fire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-29_15-01-35_153.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	26259 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-29_14-59-56_895.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	26260 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-29_14-59-03_110.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	26261 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-29_14-58-54_558.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	26262 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-29_14-58-29_304.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	26263 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-29_14-58-10_674.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	26264 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-29_14-58-18_335.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	26265

I know a place down the road that has 3-phase... Talk to the Janitor and Jon.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    I know a place down the road that has 3-phase...
    Hey Sir P -

Sure, bring 'er down... we'll set it right next to the rotting Ar, here, and we can 'race em' to see which one will start a fire in the loading-bay, first...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07417.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	26280

If that's too much of a difficulty fer ya (...not exactly gonna fit in the boot of a miniCooper.... Gimme a call and I can walk you thru a quick-easy way to test for gas-integrity....

ttyl...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

holey mother &^%$ me transistors......

I'm curious. What are those white disks in the Gas Fill/Gas Return tubes?

I am not sure, perhaps one of the argon gurus can chime in, but they look like some type of getter or flow restricter. The shorter sp tubes (ex, 165) also have similar stuff hidden inside the magnet. They are white ceramic disks and some fine metal mesh stacked in with them.

I am pretty sure it is gas intact, I will double check next time I am up on campus using our tesla coil. The last laser we got (a 165, sans power supply) was gas intact but the filament had sagged. The one was removed as a system, so it seems plausible that it was removed for being a power hungry monster and works fine otherwise.

I heard from a little bird that you will need to bring your own hoses for cooling, and money for lunch.

Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

and a latte.

"the myth of the killer ape is true"

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    I heard from a little bird that you will need to bring your own hoses for cooling, and money for lunch.

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Ze little white disks stop ze plasma from going the wrong way. As well as slowing the flow down to a decent rate.

Let me know if you need ze schematics/partial manual.

Steve

Ze schematics/manual would be great, it sounds like we might find a way to get it to fire yet.

If we can get plasma going at a reasonable current (I should be able to get 20A here at ucsb) how hard would it be to align the beast?