Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first projector Build Thread

Default My first projector Build Thread

Hello

I have been building my first laser projector and I am finally making some progress. Most of the gear I have gotten from ebay and here @ PL.

So far the materials I have.

12"x16" 6061 Aluminum Baseplate
    15k scanners CDS, more like 14k- upgraded to pt-30k
    1w Aixiz 445nm Analog
    400mw Meierlight 532nm Analog
    a-140 projector dichros
    4x lpc-826 LOC 660nm
    Audiolase DAC + Spaghetti
    3 axis laserwave dichro mounts
    3 axis laserwave mirror mounts
    flexmod p3
    4 diode knife edge kit
    [PT-30K] SpaceLas

Stuff I need.
    better dichros (in the future)

I thought the Blue and Green lasers were pretty well aligned untill I took the photos, it really helps. There is no red the camera picks up the intense blue as red. Also, what are some cheap options for mains power, is there an inexpensive distribution block that is popular to use or could I use two distribution blocks used in car audio like this http://www.amazon.com/Raptor-GDB2-Ga...uct/B0002CNTT0 and the simply bolt the ground to the baseplate and ground all the devices to the baseplate? Also as you can see I am getting some spllage on the top of the scanners. I cant seem to align it withouht spilling on the bottom. I have not messed with the alignment of the galvo mirrors yet they are still set from the factory, should I mess with this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

2.jpg  

3.jpg  

Last edited by whatsupadrian; 10-16-2011 at 16:49.

Nice setup there. and i guess really nicely build to be your first try. Well done m8.

About the galvo mirrors. i would not touch them if i where you but the galvos themself should be possible to align them perhaps better in the holder to get rid of some leakage of the beam. But some leakage is pritty normal especially with the large beamspecs of the lasers you are using. Its something you will have to live with, when buying cheaper stuff on ebay. its good to get your projector up n running but the beamspecs of these cheaper laser modules are often not the best.

Another thing i notice. i dont know if you have yet to drill the holes in the baseplate yet but i can see from your picture if you are going to have the large PSU and dichro-mount and the blue module in that position you will get some problems fitting it in a case.. But you will probably notice that yourself.

nicely build anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted.

/Rickard

Already upgraded the galvos, just ordered some PT-30s last night. I made the mistake of mouting the lasers before I mounted the dichros but everything is going to be resorted soon as I have the red.

Please dont fame me for this but I had no intention of making this a legit laser. After iv invested about 2 grand now I see differently. It may not happen right away but I now want this to be completely legit. I was very intimidated with the whole variance process, how hard is it to do for a hobbiest? How much do fees usually cost in California? Is there any US sources for the ILDA interface board, the stanwax website isn't working for me.

edit: the website works now, however its out of stock. now i am anticipating the ILDA Interface Board 2.0
    Last edited by whatsupadrian; 08-19-2011 at 05:43.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	26818OK got the PT 30s and the quad kit sorted now Im trying to design the layout I think im going to go with this. What do you all think any suggestions?
    Last edited by whatsupadrian; 08-26-2011 at 19:22.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupadrian View Post
    Please dont fame me for this but I had no intention of making this a legit laser. After iv invested about 2 grand now I see differently.
    We don't choose lasers, they choose us. The disease is terminal for your wallet. Take pleasure in the beams and forget your financial woes.

Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated.
    This space for rent.

I think I found my case what do you guys think?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/3U-audio-ins...#ht_611wt_1396
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	26825

Also the seller sells some huge heatsinks like this.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heat-sink-La...#ht_791wt_1396

Watch your smoke machine on the sofa, they can get very hot around the nozzle.

Be a real shame to see your project go out in a blaze of glory.

OK its been a little while and its time for an update. Just finished sorting the layout and drilling holes. I need to figure out how I am going to isolate my red without lifting it too much, what do you all use nylon screws and capton tape? Think i figured out the I/O board. And got it in a case. Its pretty big and heavy but thats ok. I will probably have a big hole dilled in that plate but I still dont know if I just want a window or some kind of aperature lens cap type thing. Those plate will be painted black of course. BTW everything was hand drilled, no press or anything, have very basic tools. Will probably start lining up the optics tomorrow, possibly wire it and fire it up. What do you all think? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2006.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	26999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2005.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	4.65 MB 
ID:	26998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2007.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	4.72 MB 
ID:	27000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2008.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	908.6 KB 
ID:	27001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2010.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	4.69 MB 
ID:	27002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2012.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	4.64 MB 
ID:	27003

Looks good; I would rotate your red 90 degrees and hit a 3axis mount bounce mirror if you find you need to put it on something to isolate it that raises it too much.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Once again, I look at a thread like this and realize I need to grow a pair and just get started. Nice job!