Thread: My Dual 445 Build

Default My Dual 445 Build

Just wanted to share my progress on this project with everyone. The current 445 that's installed in my RGB Build (a DHOM 600 mw) just has such a bad beam quality compared to my DPSS Green and the LaserWave 640 Red, that I have been conspiring to replace it with a home brew for some time. I have been collecting components to do this build for quite a while now and decided to get started on it this week... Came up with a design layout and drew it up in AutoCAD on Monday afternoon. Ran down to the shop after work and milled all of the aluminum Monday evening. Tuesday evening I assembled the diode stacks, mounted the Dielectric Mirror, the PBX Cube, both flexture mounts and the Wave Plate. By the end of a looooong evening I had it all optically aligned and kicking serious butt. The only thing that remained was the addition of the Anamorphic Prism Pair that I finished last night. I am very pleased with the quality of the beam after the corrective optics. The alignment of the prisms was actually the most difficult process of this build and you have to do a lot of testing and planning to get everything in the correct location, beam exit where you want it, beam exit perpendicular to case, etc...

Here are the Specs:
    2ea Casio 445 Diodes from Fleabay
    2ea 405G-2 Lenses and adjustable housings from laser66.com
    445 AR coated PBS Cube
    445 AR coated Wave Plate
    Dielectric 10mm mirror for 445
    445 AR coated Anamorphic Prism Pair
    All of the 445 optics are from Rob at Stanwax
    Balance of parts machined in my shop

Output: Its making 1.4 Watts @ 1 amp

Beam: Outstanding for a 445. I'm really pleased with the fact that it appears to even better than my LaserWave 640. Measures 5mm x 8mm at 33 Feet (10 Meters)

Losses: Losses are quite high in this setup. Measured losses of 35 % through the Prism Pair alone... Add that with losses from the Beam merging at the PBX Cube and we are close to 50%. However, since 445 is cheap, I'm very happy with the power I'm getting with a nice corrected beam.

Next I will get the cover milled and ready for the TEC installation this weekend. TEC should be here tomorrow. TEC will sandwitch between the top of the diode mounting black and the cover assembly. Cover will have milled fins and 12v fan.

Driving the two diodes in Series, using a Flexmod P3.

Still deciding if I will use a feedback circuit to monitor the temp of the diode block with a type-K thermocouple. I was thinking of using an op-amp circuit to monitor the thermocouple and drive the input of a second Flexmod to power the TEC. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks Guys... More to come.

RobClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0074.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	26989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0083.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	26990Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0084.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	26991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0085.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	26992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0086.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	26993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0076.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	26994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0077.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	26995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0078.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	26996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0079.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	26997
    1.2 Watt RGB Build
    DHOM 300mw 532
    DHOM 600mw 445
    Laserwave 300mw 640
    DT-40 Pro's
    FB3 / Quickshow

looks very nice and clearn. all you need now is a lid to seal it
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

wow! impressive build!!

just a question about the waveplate. how is it attached there? glued? so first you rotated it until you got the best output and then you glued it in place?

i would advise against the flexmod driving the tec, as i see no point. a simple dc psu would do, when combined with your thermocouple - opamp circuit
    Last edited by LaNeK779; 09-02-2011 at 00:51.
    "its called character briggs..."

Thumbs up

Nice build man; I am curious though... Why do you have a wave plate? I would think a + beam would be better than a = when only using two diodes...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Perhaps because a = will work through a prism pair whereas a + won't.

you can use a prism pair with + both beams need to be =
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    wow! impressive build!!

just a question about the waveplate. how is it attached there? glued? so first you rotated it until you got the best output and then you glued it in place?

i would advise against the flexmod driving the tec, as i see no point. a simple dc psu would do, when combined with your thermocouple - opamp circuit
    Yes the wave plate is glued. I use Rear View Mirror Adhesive to attach all of my optics. It uses an activator on one surface and a clear adhesive on the second. Once you press them together you have a rock hard bond in seconds. You have to be very careful to get things where you want them because there are no second chances... Yes I held the wave plate between my fingers and rotated it using my LPM to get the most throughput. I then marked the area where I wanted the adhesive. After a small dab of adhesive and activator on the opposite surfaces, I brought it back into position and again using the LPM rotated it for best output then simply reached in with a pop-sickle stick and pressed the joint together. 2 seconds later, you have a perfect bond... Thanks for the info regarding the flexmod. Think I will just use a mosfet to turn the power on/off to the TEC using an NTC as a sensor...

Rob
    1.2 Watt RGB Build
    DHOM 300mw 532
    DHOM 600mw 445
    Laserwave 300mw 640
    DT-40 Pro's
    FB3 / Quickshow

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Nice build man; I am curious though... Why do you have a wave plate? I would think a + beam would be better than a = when only using two diodes...
    In order to combine the beams through the PBX without the wave plate the beams would have to be like "+" instead of "l" due to one being turned 90 degrees as you pointed out. The whole purpose of the PBX is to get "l" and not "ll" as you would with stacking. To make use of the Anamorphic Prism Pair which only affects the beam in one axis, we need both diodes in the same orientation so the prisms can correct the Fast Axis of the Diode... I am getting a fantastic beam out of this. I compared it last night with my DPSS 532 from DHOM. At 40 feet the green is 15mm diameter. My 445 is only 10mm in diameter at the same distance and it is very close to a perfectly round profile. Its actually better than my Laserwave 640. I will try to get some beam comparison shots...

Cheers,

Rob
    1.2 Watt RGB Build
    DHOM 300mw 532
    DHOM 600mw 445
    Laserwave 300mw 640
    DT-40 Pro's
    FB3 / Quickshow