Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie looking for info on software and Lasers!

Default Newbie looking for info on software and Lasers!

Hey guys,

First let me say I am a newbie and have no background in lasers! I am looking to purchase a RGB ILDA laser in the near future and would like to start playing with some software. I am interested in IShow as that is what is shipped with the laser but would be interested in any other free options out there!

I Dj and would like to create a Laser animation for Schools of there Mascot or School Name. I am also looking to do different show effects on the fly in real time. (Selecting colors and patterens)

Can you guys help point me to software that will fit my needs! Please be kind and also list links! and pros / Cons about the software! Thanks! I dont mind a hard to use program if there is supporting docs to explain how to use it!

Thanks!

Where in the world are you Mike? Welcome to PL.

PS: IShow is poorly documented, hard to use and unstable.

Thanks for the Welcome I am in Pittsburgh, Pa

Looking for a free software package that will give me on the fly projection changes along with the ability to preprogram shows ahead of time!

Thanks For the Help!

heres a list i compiled on another forum.
    is it okay to cross link the forums here?
    http://laserpointerforums.com/f47/la...wip-66859.html

Quote Originally Posted by Djmixermike View Post

Looking for a free software package that will give me on the fly projection changes along with the ability to preprogram shows ahead of time!

Thanks For the Help!
    With free software you're pretty limited. You also need to bear in mind safety considerations such as the availability of BAM maps, their reliability and the level of control you have over the beams so as to prevent them from going where you don't want them to.

If you can afford 500 Euro / 600 dollars then Pangolin Quick Show is the software for you. Powerful and very easy to use. Easy to resell for almost the purchase price and very upgradeable. There's a free demo downloadable here:

http://www.pangolin.com/_Files/Setup_QS2_Ev.exe

Failing that and if you want to be towards the free end of the market, there's Spaghetti for around $100 and there's your free options.

BTW I haven't mentioned LSX here as the OP wants live play and doesn't sound like he wants anything too complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Djmixermike View Post

Thanks For the Help!
    With free software you're pretty limited. You also need to bear in mind safety considerations such as the availability of BAM maps, their reliability and the level of control you have over the beams so as to prevent them from going where you don't want them to.

If you can afford 500 Euro / 600 dollars then Pangolin Quick Show is the software for you. Powerful and very easy to use. Easy tracing facility, ideal for those logos with instant display of the result or the ability to save it into a cue. Easy to resell for almost the purchase price and very upgradeable. There's a free demo downloadable here:

Failing that and if you want to be towards the free end of the market, there's Spaghetti for around $100 and there's your free options.

BTW I haven't mentioned LSX here as the OP wants live play and doesn't sound like he wants anything too complex.

Pangolin quickshow!!!!.. Comes with hardware, so you can go loose when you want to. The only thing you need is an ilda laser projector and an ilda cable.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post

If you can afford 500 Euro / 600 dollars then Pangolin Quick Show is the software for you. Powerful and very easy to use. Easy tracing facility, ideal for those logos with instant display of the result or the ability to save it into a cue. Easy to resell for almost the purchase price and very upgradeable. There's a free demo downloadable here:

but on lsx site it says
    "Live touchscreen control panel for live shows with..."
    So is LSX a live player
    im on the border between LSX and Spaghetti.

Not seen LSX so can't pass complex comment. All I can say is I understand that a lot of LSX is controlled by mathematical equations so its not the easiest programme to learn or use. Powerful yes, but easy no.

I can almost guarantee that eventually you'll buy QS. For ease of use and power there's pretty much nothing to touch it and there are upgrade options to Pangolin's higher level software using the hardware you get included free with QuickShow. So for example. in the future you could upgrade to Pangolin Beyond if you wanted to and just pay a licence upgrade.

We've all looked at cheap software and some have been there and done it. But buy cheap and eventually you resell and buy Pangolin. They are the market leader for a reason!

LSX bucks the trend a little being mid priced and capable, but is complex.

All I would say really is that cheap software is great for a hobbyist as a way to get started with lasers on a small budget. To that end Gary's Spaghetti is a great programme. If you were purely a hobbyist, I'd say go for it without doubt. Gary has opened lasers up to a whole new set of purchasers with his low cost software and has to be commended for that. However, equally for professional shows, I think you'd be better off with something a little more advanced such as QS.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Not seen LSX so can't pass complex comment. All I can say is I understand that a lot of LSX is controlled by mathematical equations so its not the easiest programme to learn or use. Powerful yes, but easy no.

I can almost guarantee that eventually you'll buy QS. For ease of use and power there's pretty much nothing to touch it and there are upgrade options to Pangolin's higher level software using the hardware you get included free with QuickShow. So for example. in the future you could upgrade to Pangolin Beyond if you wanted to and just pay a licence upgrade.

We've all looked at cheap software and some have been there and done it. But buy cheap and eventually you resell and buy Pangolin. They are the market leader for a reason!

LSX bucks the trend a little being mid priced and capable, but is complex.

All I would say really is that cheap software is great for a hobbyist as a way to get started with lasers on a small budget. To that end Gary's Spaghetti is a great programme. If you were purely a hobbyist, I'd say go for it without doubt. Gary has opened lasers up to a whole new set of purchasers with his low cost software and has to be commended for that. However, equally for professional shows, I think you'd be better off with something a little more advanced such as QS.
    I keep reading this and I'm not sure where its come from...

but anyhow, LSX will *allow* you to edit equations, but you don't have to by any means... in the same way software like beyond can be extremely powerful, you can also put it in mode too

LSX is definitely not more difficult to use than say LD2000...

but for a DJ that wants to do live/quick stuff, I still think QuickShow2 would be your best bet

more importantly, if your out doing shows, make sure you do *safe* *legal* shows, and have a CDRH compliant/varianced projector