Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: scanner help

Question scanner help (updated)

so after building a few pointers and a laser spiro i am wanting to start my laser scanner. (i'm from LPF)

so for the scanner i am looking at this group buy http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/ch...tml#post963595

so pt-30ks are HERE

galvos: obviously pt-30ks

lasers: DIY 445, and 2xlpc-816 combined with a PBS cube (recommendations please?)

meirlight 300mW analog 532

driver: badpip 4 channel

dichros: harvested already from cr@pio projector

optics mounts: DIY like these http://www.laser-man.co.uk/images/in...id=34&Itemid=6

DAC: got a audio-lase

base-plate: will depend on space needed and case

i also have tons of old pc fans and heat-sinks so cooling shouldn't be a problem

so what am i missing some safety features are needed i assume

UPDATE i have a dac and the scanners now i need to start buying lasers im thinking buying a 300mw green from meierlight or aanother place

give me your thoughts please thanks guys.
    Last edited by bennett326; 11-04-2011 at 06:33. Reason: update!!

I think there great if that helps.
    Ive never heard of problems with the pt-30ks i have heard some things about there 20ks i own a pair. not to bad.
    but yeah i would recommend you start at 30k if your on a budget if you have the cash you can go 40k but the price difference is a bit much and the only difference will be a larger scan angle if you want to project at the standard ilda 30k frames and some less flicker.
    my pt-20ks are doing 30k at around 7-9deg so a set of pt-30ks will do the same at 20deg with less flicker.
    Are you planing on graphics or beam shows?
    if you fall in love like i have you will be eying a pair of 40k at one point but the price of 40k galvos are around 450$

but...i'm in highschool and i'm trying so hard to scrape together the money just for the pt-30ks heh - before your ready to order

ill probably be doing mostly beam shows but hopefully ill be able to do some simple graphics too

thanks and ill let you know ill be working all this weekend so hopefully.....ill have the money soon
    Last edited by bennett326; 10-18-2011 at 14:19.

Thats good with a pair of 30k you will be able to do some great graphics i will show you a video of my 20k set to 30k.
    my tuning is not perfect yet but im close so circles dont meet 100% up all the time there is a small gap. and im using my phone camera so it might look a bit weird but its normal

Most people who have these scanners have been pleased with them. Understand that at this price point, they're not going to be awesome, but they can be tuned to 30K (with some effort) and they will scan most artwork at 8 degrees or less.

If you can live with the shallow scan angle and a little image distortion, they will do well enough as a starter set. At some point in the future you'll probably want to upgrade though - either for a wider scan angle (for beams) or for better image quality (for graphics). But given your age and budget, I think they're a good match for now.

Adam

Thanks for the help guys I get wait to get my scanner started

Buffo, if you say that about 30ks what do you have to say about 20ks?
    They also come tuned to 30k dont they?
    If i can get my pt-20ks to do 30k at a 7-9 degree shouldn't true 30ks be able to do it from 15-20 degrees.

so i looked up scan angle etc but i don/t get how you can get your 20ks "tuned" to 30k?

well its a lengthy process i would never tell anyone to ever attempt unless you have done alot of reading.
    You reduce the angle they project at, this means the mirrors dont have to move as much to project the image.
    Now that they dont have to move as far you can increase the speed at which they scan.
    they can move faster over smaller distances.
    You achieve this by adjusting the pots on the scanner amps.
    But do not attempt this on your own.
    before you ever tune a trick you should try is using a multi meter read the value of each pot before you turn them and write them down on the scanners.
    This way if you cant get it right when you tune them you can always go back.

i could fine tune them before i send them to you but they come very close to tuned.
    so if you want we can work that out but understand i spent 10hours tuning my galvos and im not done yet.
    Now mine were very very messed up, but it can take a long time its lots of baby steps the whole way. one jump to large and the thing goes to hell

I have had problems with the PT-30K. I had to send them back to China. I had to pay for shipping to China. I had to pay for shipping back from China. Yes, they were new and under warranty. I got a set back even worse than the first. I still have them. I might pickle them and feed them to my CT6800HPs

Now to be fair, they did send me a second set which look OK. Dave at LSP also helped me out, so I'm over it now and OK.

But let that be a warning to anyone thinking they can save $100 instead of buying DTs.