Page 33 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi ML520G71...Red Holy Grail or Flashlight Fail ??

i think i must be giving the wrong impression here, especially to andy with whom i have also chatted in private about his method and findings. i am not questioning you or your findings or the method!

what i want to say is this: Somebody give me the collimator lens info and then i'll be more than happy to try my own mix of cylinders and telescopics and post my findings. I don't want to get a "free ride" on anyone's back. And for sure, i am not trying to prove the diodes bad. I have posted all over the place about how expensive the opnexts are, and how i can't get my head round to buying one, just for the performance/price ratio.

So, the most rational way to approach this discrepancy between theory and practice is what andy says about the emitter size. I, too, don't have a definitive emitter size info, i just based my questions to the optics company on what i saw being posted around here. If the original poster provided innacurate data, then all calculations are off.

In any case, i prefer beam / spot pics / measurements over formulas any time of the day. I hope this time i am not giving the wrong impressions, typing is more susceptible to misunderstandings than face-to-face conversation.

So, somebody point me towards an aspheric collimator that i can combine with Lava-lenses, or i stick to the optima and i buy a 7x - 8x cyl pair
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    @everyone else: I am not going out of my way and at my expense to prove something is right or wrong, If LaNeK779 and a few others don't agree with the results then why they don't do there own tests instead of going very far out of there way to try and prove the diode to be bad, what is this, they want the proof of the pudding to save them doing any work?? "Prove it works, then I will buy the diodes".
    The problem here is that neither you nor badger can give specific data on the collimators you are using. No FL, no NA, nothing. Assuming we are all working with the same diodes, going from a longer to a shorter FL will increase divergence no matter what diodes you are using and that’s a fact. I tried a shorter fl (3mm) and as expected the divergence got bigger. So as long as we don’t know what collimator you are using or you yourself don’t even know, it will be close to impossible for anyone to confirm your findings. Besides all that, I’ve done quit a bit of work on this diode and was able to deliver concrete numbers, such as power loss, divergence and near and far field beam sizes.

FFS READ POST 313 , about the lens i use ..........................
    tell you all what if there is going to be bitching , i am no longer going to post on this thread
    i will keep my findings to myself and my friends ..................................

@andy i am using the $69 , rayfoss , ebay diodes , dave's short fl lens, daves magic mount ,dr lava lens,
    4x4 beam @ 1.1mrad 430mw @ 500ma,
    and fuck what anyone else thinks i should or should not be getting from this diode
    obviously pics are not good enough nor is my word . suggest you do the same as me in future
    just keep it to your self .

RANT OVER..
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    FFS READ POST 313 , about the lens i use ..........................
    tell you all what if there is going to be bitching , i am no longer going to post on this thread
    i will keep my findings to myself and my friends ..................................

@andy i am using the $69 , rayfoss , ebay diodes , dave's short fl lens, daves magic mount ,dr lava lens,
    4x4 beam @ 1.1mrad 430mw @ 500ma,
    and fuck what anyone else thinks i should or should not be getting from this diode
    obviously pics are not good enough nor is my word . suggest you do the same as me in future
    just keep it to your self .

RANT OVER..
    @badger
    No one is bitching here; I for one am just trying to find out where the contradiction in data is coming from.
    So quit getting your panties all in a wad. Jesus Christ what the hell’s going on here lately?
    Below is a picture of the diodes I have, can anyone confirm that what they have is the same?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 638nm diode.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    @badger
    No one is bitching here; I for one am just trying to find out where the contradiction in data is coming from.
    exactly what he said!!! guys, we are on the same page here, no-one is critisizing anyone
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    Below is a picture of the diodes I have, can anyone confirm that what they have is the same?
    Yes these are the same diodes that Rayfoss is selling for $69, same as O-Like is selling for $66, same as Techhood on ebay is selling for $65 and the same ones I am selling for $62. They all have the same code on the can but no triple diamond logo on the bottom of the diode. All sellers claim to be buying them from Mitsubishi distributors as part number ML520G71.

They are brand new diodes as there was speculation that they have been harvested. The pins are long, straight and clean.

Rather than the wave plate split/combine method; has anybody tried using just mirrors to split and stack? At least there is the possibility to combine two diodes easily with a PBS.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    Yes these are the same diodes that Rayfoss is selling for $69, same as O-Like is selling for $66, same as Techhood on ebay is selling for $65 and the same ones I am selling for $62. They all have the same code on the can but no triple diamond logo on the bottom of the diode. All sellers claim to be buying them from Mitsubishi distributors as part number ML520G71.

They are brand new diodes as there was speculation that they have been harvested. The pins are long, straight and clean.

OK so we are all talking about the same diode, at last.

So, can anyone come up with concrete data to support these diodes are Mitsu and not another diode produced by an unknown company that might also be the same unknown company producing the fancy blue diodes. As far as I know nobody knows for sure if the blue 445s are from Nich. Get my point here lads.

The point I am getting too is, people are making assumptions that these diodes are 100% G71 when they might not be. And if they are not, the data sheets for the ML will not match the diode currently being tested. Not only that, given we do not have any specific data sheet for these diodes in the above photo, we can only trial and error to get effective results which Andy and Badger have been getting.

And Yes as DTR points out the diodes are new looking, untouched and they do work great.

I did ask around if anyone had a original G71 for me to test with this lens I have, this will show if the diodes are actually different.

LaNeK779 & Solarfire, I understood from the beginning, you don't need to go into a big explanation.

Doc, that is not required, I will show in around a week a 2 diode setup with one cube..

Happy Lasing.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    I will show in around a week a 2 diode setup with one cube..

Andy
    Wow! Cool Andy! Is that with your "mystery lens" or one that is readily available ? (no sarcasm intended) , just curious.

DOC that idea would work and would make a nicer beam profile but it think it may be a bit much as far as mirror costs.