Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a Laser animation /artwork workflow?

Default Suggestions for a Laser animation /artwork workflow?

Hello All,
    I recently posted some questions over at the laserpointerforums detailing some of my project:

And I was hoping some of the Laser show experts here might be able to help me figure out a work flow for creating animation or artwork. What programs do you recommend for creating images? Is there an easy application that lets your convert animation or vector artwork into ILDA format?
    Any help would greatly be appreciated
    Last edited by animator; 11-12-2011 at 13:19.

SpaceJay is offline THIS USER WAS CLUEBYFOURED

Hi Animator, Dr Lava mentioned to me that he is working on some software that can do what you described. But I have no idea when it will be ready. You should ask him about it.

If you need any animations done I can do that stuff pretty good. I mean I'm not a pro but I think I'm ok.

Have a look at a few. The ones fit for laser shows are near the end of the thread.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...mator-for-hire

Those are just a few quick minute animations

Hey Space Jay,
    the project is being done at an animation studio, so we've got plenty of professional animators including myself working on this. However, what I'm looking for is some advice on a proper work flow for creating images. What programs do you guys use? Do you convert animation done in Flash or Maya to ILDA files? or do you create images in specific laser software?
    Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Animator,
    Where are you located? If you are in the right city, there might be someone nearby who could actually show you something in person.
    As usual, how much money you want to spend is a big factor.
    Also, are these going to be 3D or 2D images?
    Here are some threads you might like:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...version-proggy
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...n-LCFlash-Info
    You can also do 3ds max > illustrate! > dxf > ild-sos using this:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ented-software.
    There is also the Pangolin 3ds max converter, but that is more of a pro $$ level tool.
    Can you give us an idea of the frames you wish to create?

One last "limitation" to keep in mind is the number of points that one frame can contain an still retain reasonable "scannability" (no flickering).

Good luck, sounds fun
    -Mike

Or you can use 3DS and export FBX, as Beyond3D opens FBX directly ;-)
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

SpaceJay is offline THIS USER WAS CLUEBYFOURED

I can't wait to see a laser show in person at an LEM. Maybe one of my animations will be on there

Now looking for a freelance candidate to help with the project:
    Position filled
    Last edited by animator; 11-12-2011 at 13:20.

What a coincidence...
    I was just laying awake in the middle of the night last night (insomnia isn't fun) thinking about how I want to learn how to create animations.
    I have NOTHING in the way of software or animation experience so I am a blank slate, so to speak.
    I am thinking of creating simple animations of the type that should be easily "drawn" by lasers. (minimum of points, simple shapes that can be rotated, mostly 2D, etc.)
    Then I log in here and find a bunch of links and the likes for just about everything that may be directly related all just brought up in the last couple of days...wow.
    So I'm posting to create the subscription for future referencing. That's good.
    Would anyone with experience like to suggest both the "easiest" and "best" ways to create these types of animations ?
    I have almost no $$$ at this time but I could put in lots of time towards the results. Are there freeware options available ?
    - for the record, I'm looking to add simple animations for some Pink Floyd, YES, Alan Parson's Project songs. There are other lighting effects as well and the whole thing is for small personal display (home based) so it will be kept fairly simple. But that shouldn't be used as a limiting factor.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyInCanada View Post
    What a coincidence...
    I was just laying awake in the middle of the night last night (insomnia isn't fun) thinking about how I want to learn how to create animations.
    I have NOTHING in the way of software or animation experience so I am a blank slate, so to speak.
    I am thinking of creating simple animations of the type that should be easily "drawn" by lasers. (minimum of points, simple shapes that can be rotated, mostly 2D, etc.)
    Then I log in here and find a bunch of links and the likes for just about everything that may be directly related all just brought up in the last couple of days...wow.
    So I'm posting to create the subscription for future referencing. That's good.
    Would anyone with experience like to suggest both the "easiest" and "best" ways to create these types of animations ?
    I have almost no $$$ at this time but I could put in lots of time towards the results. Are there freeware options available ?
    - for the record, I'm looking to add simple animations for some Pink Floyd, YES, Alan Parson's Project songs. There are other lighting effects as well and the whole thing is for small personal display (home based) so it will be kept fairly simple. But that shouldn't be used as a limiting factor.
    I knows ways but they certainly aren't free.
    At the time when I didn't have software and was looking for freeware, I found: some buggy lasershow player, tracer (which actually wasn't too bad). Other then that. close to being free (more like cheap to purchase actually).
    Would be ildsos, spaghetti (though I've heard you can't draw spaghetti, so that might be the only thing you need to watch over before purchasing spaghetti).

Excellent.
    I actually took advantage of the cheap spaghetti offer a while back but my main computer at home has been off-line since mid August. (Scratched the boot sector and need to transfer all 400+GB of data to another drive before attempting the repairs. I don't have another 500GB HD in another computer to do it.) I paid for the license but have been unable to download & install it due to those computer issues. Unfortunately that means that I don't know anything of it's capabilities, yet.
    The last thing I did with that computer was confirm the purchase of a DAC to use with the software. It was that shut-down that I caused the scratch on the HD. (Perhaps a little bit too excited at getting the DAC ?! My PC tower has a metal door cover that "protects" the power switch and the DVD drive from infant curiosity. It is designed to be hard to open and as a result close too. I think I may have slammed it closed when the computer was shutting down causing the platter and r/w head to make contact scratching the all important boot sector. Ooops.)
    If it wasn't for the access from work here I wouldn't know what to do...one of the only things I can do that isn't "filtered" out.
    So some of the other options for creating graphics that aren't free, are they covered here above or do you have something else in mind ?
    What kind of $$$ are we talking about ? I do have a sort of "allowance" that the wife can't stop me from spending if I really want to.) I could manage a couple of hundred bucks a few time a year without any trouble. I was looking at spending the next lump on a cheap projector to get my feet wet, as the saying goes. But I think that perhaps getting a start on the graphics may be a wiser move as then I would have something personal to put on the projector when I eventually get it. (And the exchange rate for $Can - $US has swung the other way again for a while. they say) I couldn't do it back in July when it was really good in my favor.)
    I will check back for a reply a bit later today...can't spend all my time at work here.