Thread: Help on build - Build or Turn key?

Default Help on build - Build or Turn key?

Hi Guys, I need expert Photonlexicon member advice.
    Please go easy as i am new to all this photon lexicon talk :P
    Hoping to make the least mistakes I can.

My budget is reasonably healthy, see examples of turn key systems to gain an idea of budget scale.
    I am located in Australia

Background:
    I started purchasing some items for a RGB build last year from various well respected forum members on PL and LPF but haven't had a great deal of time over this past year to attempt the build.
    As I have fairly limited experience with electronics (no experience wiring AC), beyond building a few very simple circuits and building my own computer from parts.
    I am guessing i will struggle to complete this project?

I have had a chat with Taggalucci about building and he provided a parts list with a great price to complete the build, if i supply all parts - either one colour or three colour.
    Having read through his excellent RGB build thread, so I know what he builds will comply with Australian Standards. The parts will be in very capable hands and without glue goop everywhere. I will need to clarify some specs/part numbers though.

So guys help me out here, what should i do?
    I am tired of reading and emailing chinese companies etc
    Should i continue the build with help from forum members and learn the art of projector building or buy turn key. (eventually i will need to troubleshoot anyway)

Current Build parts - single colour
    What i have a few parts on hand for 445nm build.
    445nm diode pressed into aixiz module with glass lens
    Laserbug suit 445nm
    Flexmod P3
    Z-Bolt
    40mm fan
    Need:
    Power supply
    Correction Optics
    Mounting plate for correction optics
    TEC and driver for cooling (I assume this is necessary for the life of the diode and continuous duty cycle)

Galvos
    ScanPro 20 kit (lite revision) from the Dave at Laser show parts
    (good for beams and simple animation)

Connections
    DB25 breakout board DZ design with screw terminals
    (was told stanwax board is more complete)
    DB in out connectors
    IEC power plug with fuse and switch

Need:
    Interlock
    Scanfail
    case and loads of bits ;P
    Dac and software to control lasers!

I have considered turn key systems from Chinese manufacturers and also Europe

Goldenstar
    Price is very rock bottom low at approx 650usd for a 1.2watt build with CNI modules, 20k Galvos and for DT30k add 100ish.
    Dicro mounts are non adjustable and glued in place. I noticed glue is on other parts of the projector. Pics 4 to 6 http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...hp?albumid=292

Eightonlight (LightSpace) AKA Space-Spam ;P
    Saturn projector 3300mw - Price is about 2100usd and a bit more with a package deal with FB3 - quickshow + shipping.
    Build quality appears okay with CNI modules PT 40k scanners and adjustable dicro mounts. Glue is minimal for a Chinese build.
    The case is of reasonable quality. (pics 1 to 3)
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...hp?albumid=292

KVANT
    1.6w entry level projector, my purchase would be with plastic scanner housing without Moncha.net. I would need to save more to buy the touring case version.
    Price PM Martin - Thanks to Martin for answering my questions.

Sorry for the long post, so many options to consider.

Cheers

Wow! 30+ views and not one response? -- perhaps i need to edit for clarity?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I have amassed quite a large collection of parts with the expectation that one of these days, I'll have the time to tackle building something. Sick really, considering just how much I've got and could build three or four projectors. Building your own I'm sure will be much more satisfying but, the turn key solution gets you seeing pretty lights much quicker. Plus, once you've done one, I would guess the next ones go much easier. With what you've got, so far, the biggest expense will still be your red. You can find a decent green for a reasonable price but, the red to match will probably cost what you've spent so far and then some. I ended up doing something similar and having a respected builder/member here put mine together with some parts I arranged and, some he obtained. Working with Tag might be a good bet.

I'd pass on the goldenstar altogether. The non-adjustibility of the dichros for me is a deal killer right there. Put that $650 towards an 800mW green. I'm sure most members will steer you towards the Kvant and, they're probably right. The Eightonlight could have pros and cons. In the end, a turnkey system (IMHO) you've eventually find isn't satisfying and you'll want to upgrade it anyway. Whether it's better scanners, adjustable dichros or SOMETHING but, once you get into this, you'll probably find them not as satisfying as you would have hoped. I'm in the same boat with a couple RGB's I have as well. I want to put in new scanners and they seem a bit underpowered but, I don't just want to sell them outright although I probably should.

There. You've gotten a response. :-) Welcome!

The basic question is...Are you a creative type person who would like to use light as your paint brush ???....skip the build and go for the off the shelf !!! The Eightonlight looks good. OR....are you a builder....one who truly enjoys engineering, designing, redesigning, building, machining, studying, building more, studying more...learning alot....oh...and solving countless problems on how to do the build...and having a HUGE amount of patience while the build slowly takes place....over a year or more !!! THIS is your first question to answer !!!! Then....all other questions flow from that answer. In EITHER case...be prepared for the ceasless march of technological advancement. What you build or buy...you will likely want more....and more....and what you have will slowly....but surly....become " Not the latest and greatest "....like computers..!!! YOU CANNOT WIN....You can only be swept along with the great flow of technology !!! Enjoy the ride !!! Enjoy " Photoxication " There is NO right answer or path....just what you want and will likely be happy with !!!

OK...I'm off " Speakers Corner " now !!! Yikes

CDBEAM
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Considering i just built and finished my projector last Friday i will say it was kinda not worth starting from scratch.
    ive seen some of the 250$ turn key systems and i think it would have gone alot better for me to buy that and upgrade then to start from 100% scratch.
    The system im referring to is the REKE 500mw RGB
    http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/re...rgb-65851.html
    Lots of pics the mounts look to be adjustable.
    Be sure to watch all the videos, they show the max possible the unit can do.
    I would have rather started with that and just built it up over time.
    The first must have improvement is the Galvos go with no less than a 30k set, IMHO.
    But if you want basic animations and lots of beams then the ones it comes with are... well they work...
    Then the lasers, there is good room to expand.
    2 635nm diodes stacked + correction optics 600mw output safe current driven, 1W 445nm laser, and 2 200mw 532nm lasers
    That is going to be my next project.
    2W projector. A bit un balanced.
    after all is said and done i wished i had bought the 250$ unit and upgraded it.
    it was a steep and scary road to just have alot of parts.
    it felt good getting it done and having it get some great recognition and even some time to shine in a show working with a laser show company who allowed me to pop its cherry.