Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BEAMSHOT COMPETITION! w/ prizes :) anyone can enter (deadline 11/20)!

Default BEAMSHOT COMPETITION! w/ prizes :) anyone can enter (deadline 11/20)!

I posted this on LPF, as that is my more usual forum, and realized that a lot of you guys here love shows and doing awesome stuff with light so I thought I might post this here just for fun! I'll extend the deadline a few days because I'm posting it here late.

There will be more of these in the future.. Maybe even some friendly LPF vs PL competition

Link to thread on LPF (so you can read responses): http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/be...tml#post988369
    SO I got to thinkin', what's something that could bring some zazz to this forum? And came up with -- what's better than some friendly competition to inspire some awesomeness?

Anyone can enter (fo' free) and anyone can win! BUT PLEASE READ THE RULES BELOW!!

So here we go!
    Introducing the first (as far as I know) "Who can come up with the sickest beamshot(s)" competition!!

Here's how it will work:

1. YOU make a picture of the SICKEST beamshot (or beamshots) that you can (I AM LIMITING SUBMISSION TO ONE PICTURE PER PERSON).
    2. YOU email said picture to: beamshotcompetition@revoctechnologies.com ALONG WITH YOUR FORUM USERNAME
    DO NOT POST YOUR PICTURE IN THIS THREAD!!!
    3. Depending on how many submissions I get, I will narrow it down to probably ~25 of what I think are the SICKEST pictures
    4. I will post said 25 SICK beamshot pictures either to here or my website and YOU, the community, will vote on your favorites (pictures will be presented anonymously)
    5. The TOP 10 (these numbers may change depending on how many submissions I get) will then be determined and re-voted upon in order to determine the TOP 5
    6. The top 5 will then go into the judging round (this is VERY subject to change [may even be another community vote]):

a. 3 of the top 5 will receive prizes (unless we get more prizes, or more submissions)
    b. If you want to be a judge, you must (STRICTLY):
    1. Have over 400 posts AND over 7 rep
    2. Either offer up a prize of your own or donate some money for prizes (PM me) -- these things don't grow on trees (as much as we may wish...)!
    3. Not be in the top 5
    c. Judges will determine the winners
    d. You will go down in history (if you win)

Prizes-wise (as of now): (unless [as is preferable] we get more interest) prizes will be something like:
    1. >60mW green pen, ~50mW blu-ray pen, and ~15mW Viper-host green pen w/ case.
    2. C6 host/heatsink and Mohgasm driver (courtesy of Mohrenberg -- be sure to thank him!)
    3. >30mW green pen & blu-ray pen
    Where 1st place picks from the list first, 2nd place picks second, etc.
    This will of course change as (if) I receive more diverse prizes.

Since, as far as I know, this has never been done before, any suggestions would be welcome! Also, from research done, it seems as though unlike raffles these types of things are in fact legal by not requiring payment to enter (therefore not gambling).

Overall Rules:
    1. One submission per person (your submission cannot be a re-used photo. It must be something nobody has seen before!!)
    2. If you win, you agree to not hold myself or any of my affiliates responsible for damage caused by the prizes.
    3. If you don't win, you agree to not hold myself or any of my affiliates responsible for emotional distress caused by not winning this competition
    4. Competition entries will be accepted starting today, Nov 2 and will end Friday, Nov 20th at MIDNIGHT EST.
    5. Submissions will remain anonymous until winners are declared and PLEASE TRY TO KEEP THEM AS ANONYMOUS AS POSSIBLE TO AVOID BIAS.

Non-USA entries are ACCEPTED, although your huge shipping costs may cut into your prizes if you win....

Now, let's see some sick beamshots!!

Entered (as of Nov 15, 8:22 AM EST):
    SerpantSlayer
    Eudaimonium
    foulmist
    brandonhauser
    andy_con
    p1ns
    DJNY
    flaminpyro
    Woodofcville
    tung
    Last edited by SwimminSurfer256; 11-15-2011 at 08:30.

I think the PL members would be more inclined to join if the prizes were anything else beside pointers....

I'd be happy to compete for a 445, 532 or 660nm module (you know, the lab style thing) but most of us have little use for pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    I think the PL members would be more inclined to join if the prizes were anything else beside pointers....

I'd be happy to compete for a 445, 532 or 660nm module (you know, the lab style thing) but most of us have little use for pointers.
    Hmmm I'm sure I could make that happen. I know the dollar value of each of the prizes listed above (and those are subject to change) so I suppose I'd be fine with purchasing a module of equal or lesser value of one of the prizes (depending on the finish place you come in)!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post

Even some 635 red and 445 blue new bare diodes packed in antistatic bags would be nice prizes imho ..

Well as I said above the prizes are not set in stone. If we get PL entries I'll allow (if a winner doesn't like pointer/DIY prizes) them to pick a diode/module (for example) of equal or lesser value than the best prize left. That seems fair yeah?

$$ values are approx as follows:
    1st: $55
    2nd: $35
    3rd: $14

Define: "SICK".
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Define: "SICK".
    Probably something childish; like someone pointing a wicked-toy at a the command tower of an aircraft-carrier. :facepalm:

dan... my submission might of been of your laser...

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    dan... my submission might of been of your laser...

I want royalties...
    I think your weight in MAOAM's should suffice.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

hahah deal, just wait till next meet now!
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat