Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diode Quantification

Default Diode Quantification

Dear all,
    I propose we build up here, in this very thread (and/or the Wiki!), a detailed knowledge base of red and blue laser diode information.
    A lot of the information already exists, soaked all over PL; but a giga-post scooping it all up and standardising it, I feel would benefit everyone.

Initially I plan on putting under the microscope a variety of diodes to accurately measure: emitter dimensions, bond wire diameter, and count.
    I believe a rigorous approach to this should shed light in the long term on tracking laser diode technology changes; hopefully complimenting previous "empirical" approaches with regard to collimation and the likes.
    Each diode will be photographed, de-canned and then put under the microscope again for further inspection. Images of each will be attached here along with any laser diode data and a datasheet for completeness.
    It is the aim to constantly update this first post; as to avoid threads of 100's of posts with the information getting burried.

Initially diodes will not be tested on their output performance; this can follow at a later stage with a standard, and rigorous testing procedure.

In short: The aim is to create a long term, one-stop comprehensive page of useful information for the community.

I have tested the following diodes:

ML501P73 - Datasheet
    Emitter size: 98x2µm
    No. of bond wires: 2

ML520G71 - Datasheet
    Emitter size: 64x2µm
    No. of bond wires: 1

Francesco has kindly donated the following diode:
    HL63133DG - Datasheet
    Emitter size: 10µm wide. I could not measure the thickness accurately optically (<1µm)

Planned to test:

AndyCon has kindly donated the following diodes:
    • LPC836
    • LPC826
    • LPC815

Simon (p1t8ull) has kindly donated the following diodes:

Edison has promised to donate the following diode:

Thanks to all!

Should anyone else have any laser diodes; red, blue or violet, to add to the list and are happy to donate them to PL Community ResearchTM, having them de-canned and put under the microscope, please shout out.

Regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by danielbriggs; 06-07-2012 at 08:18. Reason: Added more diode data sheets
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Another thought which I've just discussed with Briggs is we get this info on a web site so we can put the info in sections and add lens and telescopic info. Rather than having a page a mile long.

So I'll get the info on my laser-man site
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Great work boys

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Thumbs up

(..in frat-initiation-like 'chant'..): Wiii-keee! Wiii-keee! Wiii-keee!

nice werk.. will contribute, as / when I can.. if I can just figure out this cloning-thing...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Hi guys, I have already started this in the wiki, all it needs is for more people to add stuff to it.

go for it.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/wiki/in...de_information

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Hi guys, I have already started this in the wiki, all it needs is for more people to add stuff to it.

go for it.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/wiki/in...de_information

chad
    i didnt even know that existed
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Yeah, I know. Help spread the word.

Don't be afraid to put stuff in. It is backed up and can be restored. even if it is just rough data people will fine tune it.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Default ML501P73

Hi all,
    I have just took deliver of some ML501P73's and threw them under the microscope.
    I've sized the emitter at 100x2μm not 40μm as previously thought. I am sure my callibration is correct; a standard 100μm slide measures as 100μm... (to within 3 s.f.)

Will update the 1st thread later; have to dash out; so just an image dump for now.
    I have some G71's as well to test next week as well.

<snip> added to first post </snip>
    Last edited by danielbriggs; 04-26-2012 at 14:46.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Good work chop glad I didn't rush into buying them
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

nice pics dan , i am keen to find out the emitter size of the 300mw version, roll on next week
    andyf97 is stuggling with the beam on these this could be why 100um eek not what i wanted to hear
    Last edited by badger1666; 04-24-2012 at 10:20.
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.