Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tupac "hologram" used last night at Coachella

Default Tupac "hologram" used last night at Coachella

NSFW based on language
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aNLCw8Obtw

Apparently it looked very realistic in person and on TV. So realistic that laser pointers seemed to terminate and reflect on to his body

What technology was used for this. People are already talking a Micheal Jackson tour with this technology. New or old?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

it's basically just video projection on a scrim. you see it a lot in fashion shows these days.

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    NSFW based on language
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aNLCw8Obtw

Apparently it looked very realistic in person and on TV. So realistic that laser pointers seemed to terminate and reflect on to his body

What technology was used for this. People are already talking a Micheal Jackson tour with this technology. New or old?

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Its just ole "Pepper's Ghost" done with a new, specialized, coated, stretched plastic film or films and good quality video projectors.

They use "Holographic" as a marketing gimick. It is not a hologram, its a reflection. Note the required EXTREMELY dark background.

The film probably comes from 3M, as does the controlled scattering film used to allow video projection on glass windows.

So old a technology, they are counting on marketing and gimmickry and a lack of education in entertainment to call it "New" again.

The retired Imagineers at Di$ney who reinvented it the sixties when it came from the 1860s must be LTAO.

Although the high tech plastic is world class material. Nice to see it looks like their using mutiple layers, courtesy of the pointer, that was a little detail that was puzzling me.

Steve

Thanks guys, I figured it wasnt a hologram which is why I put it in quotes. If you look at it from different angels (ie right stage or left stage you seem to see more of his sides) Is this how Di$ney makes their ghost "the secret way" in their haunted house?

I did notice the darker background than the others. For once, some idiot in the crowd with a laser pointer actually gave us something useful

whoever did the video editing did a good job, i notice the usage of covering his mouth with the microphone as making the mouth movement would have been very intensive. It still looked very good from my amateur eyes

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    People are already talking a Micheal Jackson tour with this technology.
    Hehe, lock up your Anime !
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    Is this how Di$ney makes their ghost "the secret way" in their haunted house?
    are you talking about the ghosts dancing in the hall? if so "ghosts" are under you illuminated with really bright lights, so you can see their reflection on the glass superimposed over the room behind the glass

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    are you talking about the ghosts dancing in the hall? if so "ghosts" are under you illuminated with really bright lights, so you can see their reflection on the glass superimposed over the room behind the glass
    Thats Pepper's Ghost if the Glass is at about 45 degrees.

Disney has changed techniques over the years.

Steve

Looks nice on television, but I wonder if it is just as convincing when seen from the audience.

If this is a sheet projection, probably all off-axis viewers see something like this;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7085106581_18db330ff9.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	31779

,instead of this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7085106581_18db330ff9a.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	31780

How long before we get Elvis?

Elvis has been and probably still is on tour.

I did lights for an Elvis tour a few years back.

They just used a big video screen to project Elvis onto and had a band on stage... Still sold out arenas though.

I thought it was a bit weird to be honest..
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?