Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.8mm & 9mm Copper Modules

Default 3.8mm & 9mm Copper Modules

Ok guys we are looking for some help dealing with a mistaken order. We had a large group buy over at the other place for copper modules and there was a little hiccup that probably won't be a problem over here.

We got the first batch in today which had 3.8mm and 9mm copper modules in them and the threading is too deep to use a focus adapters with the G-1/G-2 but we were able to do a mod for the three element lenses.

My thought is a lot of the members over here use them in a fixed focus situation anyway and we are trying to see if we can get out of them without taking a huge loss. These will be $2.25 a module plus 3% PP fees and shipping. Shipping for a small flat rate box will be $7 and if you order less than 10 modules $5 for first class with tracking US. International orders please PM me for price. Note that most of the sellers that have copper modules right now for sale want $10-12 each so this should be a great deal.

Another great thing is that they have more mass than a standard Aixiz and of course are made with c11000 copper.

I have about 150 3.8mm and 150 9mm units.

All units left have rear M11x0.5 rear threading like the Aixiz.

Here is the depth of a three element lens when focused

Here is the depth with a single element G-2 lens when focused

If a focus ring is important to you and you only plan to use the three element lenses then you can take some thermal adheasive mix it up, put it on the very top of the threads, screw the focus ring on 1 full turn and let it dry and it will have the rage to focus all the way.

Here are the pictures of the threads and how far the diode can sticks into the modules. The threads go all the way to bottom out in the module and the cans stick into the module a few mm's.

Here are the measurements.

3.8mm Module

9mm Module
    Last edited by DTR; 07-08-2012 at 07:25.

Hi DTR,

I'm interested in 40x 3.8mm and 20x 9mm units. Are they threaded on all the deep? (if I want to use ultra short focale like 2.9mm?)

Thanks,

Miikkkllll

^^^PM sent. Yes they are threaded all the way down and the diode's can sticks into the can quite a bit. You will hit the top of the can before bottoming out. I will get a picture as soon as my camera battery recharges.

Moved to OP....
    Last edited by DTR; 05-01-2012 at 05:16.

why dont you just machine the head down to size?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I don't have a lathe and sending it to someone would add cost. Easier for us to sell them off and have the company replace them in the second batch. Plus it is a great offer for the community and the responses I have gotten here have been really positive.
    Last edited by DTR; 05-01-2012 at 05:18.

Just get a belt sander and take off a few mm. Copper is very soft. Don't hold it while you do it or you'll fry your fingers.

Yea that would suck. I have burned my self quite a few times on copper and aluminum. It is no fun.

Yep all the options for how to modify them were discussed and every person that had them on order opted to wait and get them with the correct specs as they were ordered. I felt bad the guy that organized the group buy made a mistake trying to get more mass so I offered to try to get rid of as many as I could for him to lessen the loss he is going to have to take.

danielbriggs and andyf97 your modules are in the mail.

So I just had a Chance this Weekend to press a Few Diodes In these Awesome Copper Modules.

I Really like them Alot. I picked up the Ones with out the threads in the back as its a little more mass and because i dont use the back half of the module.

The 9mm ones Press in very Nice. Nice and tight. Some Modules diode pockets you can tell are a little to loose when you press them in. With these You dont have to worry.

The 3.8mm ones as well press in nice and tight. I have never bought any other 3.8mm module since i have my own lathe and i just make my own but comparing them to my own they are just as tight. So Iam Happy. The diode sits in deep in the pocket.

They are both a little longer then a standard module but ill just turn them down on my lathe if i need too. Really i might not even bother since most of these that i bought are going to be used as Fixed focus anyway. So i might just keep them as is.

Overall I think these are Great Modules and for the price PM sent for some more.

I took some Picture Which so far i have press in a 3.8mm 660nm diode to see how tight the fit it is. This was a None working diode when it arrives. In the 9mm modules i have press in a 670nm 70mW diode and also Just press in a 9mm 445nm that i also bought from DTR.

Here are the Pictures:

"9mm diode is a 70mW 670nm diode and the 3.8mm is a 660nm diode"

3.8mm......

9mm.......

Thanks for the Modules, They are Great for the Price and you got anotehr PM.

What is the OD of these modules? 12mm?
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.