Thread: Old RCA Ion Laser

Default Old RCA Ion Laser

It's been a while since I posted any pics of old lasers, so here's one. It's a 1967 RCA model LD-2100 argon ion laser system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCA 2100 System.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	32314

This one has it with the cover off, showing the plasma tube. I also removed a shield to show the little magnets around the center section. Aint they cute? And dig those big round Brewster windows!

Name:	RCA 2100 Head Open.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	324.4 KB 
ID:	32315

And here's its big brother, the model LD-2101. This one is missing its plasma tube but there are parts of it clinging to some wires inside. This head weighs a ton, with its cast iron exoresonator. Love those coordinated adjuster handles!!! These both have a super "Jetsons" look, don't they?

Name:	RCA LD-2101.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	352.8 KB 
ID:	32316
    Last edited by Eidetic; 05-29-2012 at 06:52.

Thanks Bob, I always love your posts.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

That is really cool.

Any idea what it is supposed to put out?

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

The LD-2100 had output of 100mW, had a prism in front of the HR to give wavelengths between 4880nm and 5145nm, and cost $9850 new in the Summer of Love. The LD-2101 put out 1W and cost $19,500 new. Both were air cooled.

My collection is up over 90 lasers now, with another hundred artifacts like plasma tubes, meters and orphaned supplies, and about 150 books and periodicals about lasers in the '60s. They are taking over my house! And garage. And there are another 8-10 waiting for me in LA and about 5-8 in the midwest that I need to find a cheap way to move out to California.
    Last edited by Eidetic; 05-29-2012 at 06:57.

Air cooled? Where's the fan? Where are the beefy heat sinks?

Did they just run them stupid-hot and not expect them to last over 100 hours?

Brilliant post Bob... I love this old stuff, keep 'em coming
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

OK Bob you can't fool me...that is an Electrolux vacuum cleaner right? Sam needs to post pics of "our" 1967 prototype pulsed Argon. It has the same style large Brewster windows...and it still works. Or it did...Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

That laser looks in great shape for its year.

Does anyone have a photograph to post showing a CO2 laser tube with brewster windows? I want to see how to get S or P polarization out of the tube. There are a lot of old diagrams of CO2 lasers with salt windows but I can't seem to find a photo.

"P" and "S" refer to the plane of incidence for the beam going through the window. That's the plane formed by the beam and the normal to the surface. "P" polarization is parallel to the plane, "S" is perpendicular to it. In the laser shown above, "P" is vertical, "S" is horizontal.