Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin galvo?

Default Pangolin galvo?

So Bill posted this on his Facebook feed... interesting... first thoughts are if he sells to the automotive industry, he can afford to give away the scanner sets to this market!

http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/ELECT/11049
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Hi Norty,

This is our actuator. It is sort of like a GM-20 but much better. These are commonly used as shutters and beam actuators, for example on beam tables that use actuators to bring mirrors into and out of the beam. This is not particularly fast, but is very smooth and reliable. It simply operates by voltage. If you put 6 volts to the coils the mirror will move +15 degrees. If you put 12 volts, you get +30 degrees. So it is completely linear and also bidirectional (-6V will move -15 degrees).

We're in the process of creating a half inch round version as well. We believe it will be popular due to the smaller package size. Basically you'd be able to slide it right into a post mount holder. The smaller actuator has many of the same properties as the large one you see there (linear position versus voltage profile, high coil impedance around 50 ohms for low current operation, high quality construction).

These developments are only vaguely related to our scanner developments, which work on a completely different principle.

Best regards,

William Benner

These VRAD actuators are awesome.. I had a couple delivered a couple of days before a show where I needed to shutter a 10mm beam, and a GM20 couldnt cut it, but the amount of excursion with the VRAD saved the day

If the scanners are up to the same standard, I think we will be in for a treat
    Last edited by dave; 06-05-2012 at 03:58.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

VRAD-1510 was designed for laser scanning and lighting gear but can be used across various electromechanical applications
    Ah, this part mislead me then.

The mention of the special bearing specificaly got me thinking about the 'other' thread where these things got discussed at length in relation to the galvo.

Never mind, as you were....
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I've held one of these units in my hand (at the latest FLEM), and they look very solid. More importantly, though, is the fact that they have much greater travel than a GM-20. So like Dave said, if you've got a fat beam (650 nm red, 445 nm blue, etc), one of these will work much better than a GM-20.

Thinking about picking up a couple just to have them available for future builds. Of course, I'm also waiting for the new Pangolin scanners (hopefully by the end of this year, right Bill?).

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 06-05-2012 at 08:58.

I did some testing a couple of weeks ago and found the GM-20 driver of DZ's will drive one of these perfectly with no adjustments needed. I just removed my GM-20 and attached the VRAD to DZ's driver and the VRAD's flag looks (to me at least) to move the same amount of distance the GM-20 did when ran by the same driver.

Unfortunatly I broke a DT40 mirror trying to mount the shutter flag... The only way I can see to get the flag installed where it blocks the beam is to mount the actuator in the projector without the flag, then install the flag with a small beam going. Damn small allen wrench wouldn't work right and I slipped. Luckily I think there might be someone at work who is good at re-installing galvo mirrors.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

HAHA! Yeah, at SELEM 2007 Bill re-installed a mirror on one of my DT-40 scanners after it got snapped off. I don't have those scanners anymore though. (Would have been a nice conversation piece.)

Any status update on the Pangolin scanners?

Adam

Hi Adam,

Scanners are coming along. In fact, an unexpected gift dropped into our lap, insomuch that we now have an intern at Pangolin working on a related project.

Anyway, it's all looking pretty good. Making solid progress every day.

Bill

......looking forward to CT6215 performance with DT40 price tag.

Bill,
    Are these fast enough to use in a small moving light fixture to move LEDs around. Im planning on using rc actuators but this seems much smaller with more torque. Do they self center?