Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Alignment Help

Default Laser Alignment Help

I picked up a laser a few months back from ebay and when it arrived I noticed nuts holding the dichro mirrors and the prisms were loose and because of this everything is out of alignment. I am trying to decide between sending this off to be aligned or attempt it myself.

It is a RGBV 1 watt from laserworld in Sweeden.

The seller said the manufacturer offered to align for free but the cost of shipping this to and from Sweeden from the USA will probably make this option cost prohibitive.

I have tried aligning the four lasers but can never quite get it close enough. Even if I do get them aligned I do not see how I would be able to keep them in their current position when I tighten up the mounting bolts??

Does anyone have any advice?

Start here...

http://www.stanwax.plus.com/lw/rgb%20alignment%20lw.pdf

One of the best alignment documents available!
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Where are you located? Fill out your profile someone might be near you that could help.
    leading in trailing technology

Thank you very much for the link.

I think where I am having the most problem is with the amount of range of motion available in the mounts. The L brackets that the dicro and prisms are mounted onto have a vertical extension adjustment as well. trying to align two beams through the prism of the dichro and then onto the galvo is maddening. Once I have a very close alignment I simply can not figure out a way to final tighten the mounts without disturbing their positions.

Here is a rough drawing of the layout: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diagram.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	32560

Those would be PBS cubes. Not prisms

And you are correct it would be much easier if there were a bounce mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Thank you very much for the link.

I think where I am having the most problem is with the amount of range of motion available in the mounts. The L brackets that the dicro and prisms are mounted onto have a vertical extension adjustment as well. trying to align two beams through the prism of the dichro and then onto the galvo is maddening. Once I have a very close alignment I simply can not figure out a way to final tighten the mounts without disturbing their positions.

Here is a rough drawing of the layout: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diagram.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	32560

Only name I could think of .... Im still learning

Only name I could think of .... Im still learning
    Your best bet might be to swap the mounts on the cubes and also the dichroS to something that is easy to walk with an Allen head or screw.
    I doubt you want to send it back there are many nightmare stories on there service. My first pj was a laser world for the price was right at the time.

I only had to adjust dichro there were no combined colors in mine using cubes.

The amount available adjustment in the mounting plates is a lot. Rotation, (Can slide)left, right, forward, rear, and with the vertical extension allows for elevation as well as tilt. Both axis points are fixed with studs and what looks like about a 4-6 mm nuts. I will take a photograph shortly.
    Last edited by Brian; 06-07-2012 at 10:40.

The amount available adjustment in the mounting plates is a lot. Rotation, (Can slide)left, right, forward, rear, and with the vertical extension allows for elevation as well as tilt. Both axis points are fixed with studs and what looks like about a 4-6 mm nuts. I will take a photograph shortly.
    That is correct but not the standard way of walking a beam. Usually the mounts stays firmly attached and you just twist some screw or Allen's and you can adjust x y z with nothing coming loose. Search terms mm-1 or flex mount to see what I am saying.

According to the seller it only had 4 - 5 hours of use. Was very clean inside with little to no dust inside of the casing or fans.

The point where the beams hit the galvo seems very dispersed. no clear distinct point to align. Best way I could describe is muddy or cloudy. It came with the phoenix 4 controller and software along with a 50 ft ilda cable and road case. The price seemed right at 560.00 with shipping. But now I am starting to understand why they sold it.

I can see no way of aligning this. It simply does not look possible. Even if I do manage to snug the fasteners to allow them to be secure enough to make micro adjustments with needle nose pliers. I just can not see any way to tighten the nuts down without something moving. Only other thing I can think of is get it as close as posscile tighten it all down with locktight and then literally bend the mount for a final adjustment. The chances of success with these mounts seems impossible.