Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: 9mm 445 amazing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Posts
    2,330

    Default 9mm 445 amazing

    After hitting my PS limits with TEC cooling, I decided to give this a go with no TEC, with the TEC I was able to get near 3.4W at 8C.

    My goal here was to find stability at ambient temperature for continuous duty as this will end up on a beam rail, and perhaps another scanner hey the rail has holes in each end. lol

    For my needs I feel I won;t need to TEC cool this as one I don;t like the weight of the linear supply for the TEC and another damn it heats the baseplate.

    I found that setting the current for an output after correction lens of 2.65W, that as the diode warmed over the first 5 minutes power dropped to 2.52W it then stayed stable at this power for over 2 hours. Could I push it harder, you bet it still makes more power when giving more current, but i'll be happy st 2.5W corrected it is a nice beam. This is more power than my dual m-140 after all optics. Hmm maybe time to swap it out, nah i'll just add scanner to this next build.

    leading in trailing technology

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,533

    Default

    wow, 2.5W of 445 out of one corrected diode

    I don't think I could have even imagined that a couple years ago

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Monroe, Mi USA
    Posts
    749
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Amazing !!! Two oh those bad boys...bounce one....into a good cube they go...no need for a WP....Swami Dog Cross pattern + Out pops a 5W...FIVE WHAT !!! Blazin'Blue Cross....and NO TE !! Mmmmm....Butt...Can I see it a mile away ??? !!! DUH...Good work PB !! BEAM
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    .
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    .
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    .
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    .
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    .
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    507

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,533

    Default

    now I need a 5W red diode (crosses fingers)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    921

    Default

    At what current is this thing running? Somewhere like 2 amps?

    Sounds like these guys are terribly efficient. Cranking out 2,5W stable without even a fan, just an aluminum block.... what?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    veenwouden
    Posts
    2,457

    Default

    Nice!!! Need to build a 5 watt with these then Would fit nicely in my new green/blue projectors


    Interested in a system or modules? Feel free to contact us directly!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Amazing, corrected & still all that power

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN & Huntsville, AL, USA
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Parts & vendor list, please!

    One of these would be perfect for a single-color beam projector I'm itching to put together, and the less parts required, the better!

    I think I could make do with a single-diode at 2 watts + ...
    RR

    Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    1979.
    Sweet.....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    Diode from DTR
    Copper Barrel DTR
    405-G2 Lens DTR
    AIXIZ type mount Laserman532
    Driver P3
    Correction Dr Lava Cylinders
    Lens Mounts custom Machined (not sure of availability as there a big loss time : price ratio)

    you could just as easy use Dave's mount, but i like the centering (left right adjust hole spacing) on Pat's mounts and also the machined hole that you can mount a TEC into.




    Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Parts & vendor list, please!

    One of these would be perfect for a single-color beam projector I'm itching to put together, and the less parts required, the better!

    I think I could make do with a single-diode at 2 watts + ...
    Last edited by polishedball; 07-08-2012 at 07:41.
    leading in trailing technology

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    507

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    Question, a couple people that have picked these diodes up from me have asked about correction optics. Does drlava keep them in stock and if not are there any other good alternatives that are?
    Drlava has stock yes, he has been quite responsive lately also. Took care of me on some parts I needed. The prisms work well also, i just prefer the less reflections of the lens. Dave will most likely be stocking Lens sets in both magnifications, not sure if he will be doing a GB or just stock them.

    Also for those wondering what current this is currently running at I just measured it to be 2.148A

    Also remember all these diodes can very but the power I am seeing isn't a rarity from the limited other tests I have scene done
    Last edited by polishedball; 07-08-2012 at 07:47.
    leading in trailing technology

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN & Huntsville, AL, USA
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Drlava has stock yes, he has been quite responsive lately also. Took care of me on some parts I needed. The prisms work well also, i just prefer the less reflections of the lens. Dave will most likely be stocking Lens sets in both magnifications, not sure if he will be doing a GB or just stock them.

    Also for those wondering what current this is currently running at I just measured it to be 2.148A

    Also remember all these diodes can very but the power I am seeing isn't a rarity from the limited other tests I have scene done
    Are the basic 405-G2 optics suitable for using the setup in a single-diode projector, or are additional optics needed to get the beam to fit on a typical set of scanner mirrors?
    RR

    Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    1979.
    Sweet.....

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Are the basic 405-G2 optics suitable for using the setup in a single-diode projector, or are additional optics needed to get the beam to fit on a typical set of scanner mirrors?
    I have been able to land most if not all of an uncorrected 445nm on scanner mirrors, esp if you go to the large mirrors. You'll just have more of a stripe than a dot if you don;t add, lens correction or prisms.
    leading in trailing technology

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    I have been able to land most if not all of an uncorrected 445nm on scanner mirrors, esp if you go to the large mirrors. You'll just have more of a stripe than a dot if you don;t add, lens correction or prisms.
    Maybe I'm thinking a bit too simple here, but would the beam be any better if you (deliberately) clipped it through a square or circular aperture? Or would the divergence catch up and still make a stripe in the far field?

    I mean, with these diodes, you've got loads of power to squander, so "correcting" it by just taking the useful part of the beam could be a much cheaper and less fiddlesome option than using prisms or lenses.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    i'll be happy st 2.5W corrected it is a nice beam. This is more power than my dual m-140 after all optics.
    I have a couple of questions. Based on all the available results of PO vs current for the m and the 9mm series diodes, the output of the m series is much closer than less than 1/2 of the 9mm output (2+ watts vs. your 2.5 watts). Also, your 3.4 W at a near room temperature 8 degrees C is the highest yet reported. I am afraid that this may be a rare diode?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    472

    Default

    I am about to order cyl lenses from Edmund for about $108/set. Don't know of any other vendors who stock and no reply from drlava.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    Maybe I'm thinking a bit too simple here, but would the beam be any better if you (deliberately) clipped it through a square or circular aperture? Or would the divergence catch up and still make a stripe in the far field?
    The beam that exits the aperture will have the same properties and divergence as the incident beam and you'll still end up with a stripe in the far field.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    If you mask close to the diode ie within any real world projector you will just reduce the output power. The stripe and other far field noise can be removed with a spatial filter by masking at the FOCUS within the beam line. The divergence will be unchanged unless you alter the diameter of the beam exiting the optical train.
    If power really was no object then you could expand the beam and hence reduce the divergence and then just sample some fraction of it, like what will still fit on a scanner. This is a slick technique that I've used with an LS to extract 10% of the 532 output with pretty good beam parameters, leaving the remaining fat beam to be focused to pump another laser.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    If power really was no object then you could expand the beam and hence reduce the divergence and then just sample some fraction of it, like what will still fit on a scanner. This is a slick technique that I've used with an LS to extract 10% of the 532 output with pretty good beam parameters, leaving the remaining fat beam to be focused to pump another laser.
    That's exactly what I was talking about. The stripe is caused by the fact that it is a wide emitter, and you're basically imaging this wide emitter somewhere else (ideally, at infinity), and the only way you can improve on that without using anamorphics is by adding a matte. The downside of anamorphics is that they decrease your focal depth (er, I mean, increase your beam divergence), but matting doesn't have that problem. Since a matte effectively narrows your aperture, you trade image quality and focal depth for luminance.

    I'm using cinematic terms here on purpose, since what we're doing is hardly any different, only a LOT smaller. Now wasting a lot of power to get a useful beam doesn't sound very attractive with expensive, low-power diodes, but if the cost of a single 9mm 445 plus matte is at the same price point as a dual Nichia 445, with cubes, anamorphics and all of the alignment gribbly-bits, I'd say go for the single 9mm. Easier to set up, more compact, and less that could go wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    If you mask close to the diode ie within any real world projector you will just reduce the output power. The stripe and other far field noise can be removed with a spatial filter by masking at the FOCUS within the beam line. The divergence will be unchanged unless you alter the diameter of the beam exiting the optical train.
    I don't see a reason why you couldn't create an artificial focus through a 1:1 telescope. Just a set of lenses with the spatial filter right in the middle.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    That's exactly what I was talking about. The stripe is caused by the fact that it is a wide emitter, and you're basically imaging this wide emitter somewhere else (ideally, at infinity), and the only way you can improve on that without using anamorphics is by adding a matte.
    Going to show my ignorance here. What is a matte? Is it just an aperture mask?

    The downside of anamorphics is that they decrease your focal depth (er, I mean, increase your beam divergence),
    They decrease your divergence. Right?

    but if the cost of a single 9mm 445 plus matte is at the same price point as a dual Nichia 445, with cubes, anamorphics and all of the alignment gribbly-bits, I'd say go for the single 9mm. Easier to set up, more compact, and less that could go wrong.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I even think the 9mm set like this would be cheaper, but I don't think the 9mm diode are substantially more powerful than the m series 445's.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Going to show my ignorance here. What is a matte? Is it just an aperture mask?
    Matte = (aperture) mask, yes.

    They decrease your divergence. Right?
    Either they're going to make the beam less wide and more divergent, or the other way round. The laws of physics forbid us to make some magical solution that makes a beam more narrow AND less divergent. Unless you mask it and just trhow part of the beam away, and so basically only image a part of the emitter somewhere else.

    That's also the reason that anamorphic lenses are not a cinematographer's or projectionist's friend: Since they change the aspect ratio of your image, you're going to lose a lot of focal depth near the short side's edges.

  23. #23

    Default

    Hello, I am new to PL and have a simple question, which appears to be in line with this thread. How to efficiently and economically couple light from a 9mm 445 nm LD into a 1.6 mm diameter fiber bundle, which consists of 100-micron 0.22 NA fibers. The acceptance angles are +/-12 degrees and the size of the acceptance spot, again, is 1.6 mm diameter? The fiber bundle can be located at the distances from 2 0mm to 200 mm from the LD. Common lenses that are commercially available in M9x0.5 cylinders produce rectangular rather than round spots. 2-3 W 445 nm LD emits rectangular beam. More than 50% of its optical power is lost at coupling. I guess, a cylinder lens can correct and increase the coupling efficiency. Is such lens, or combination of lenses commercially available in M9x0.5 cylinder? Or in other sizes of cylinders?

  24. #24

    Default

    Hi,
    Does anyone have any comparisons between the 5.6mm M140 445nm and the 9mm 445mn for cutting and beam focus point size?

    I am running an M140 with a G2 lens at the moment for cutting and engraving and was wondering what advantages there would be going to the 9mm?

    thanks

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anachronicman View Post
    Hi,
    Does anyone have any comparisons between the 5.6mm M140 445nm and the 9mm 445mn for cutting and beam focus point size?

    I am running an M140 with a G2 lens at the moment for cutting and engraving and was wondering what advantages there would be going to the 9mm?

    thanks
    ... I'm using them both with identical optics for engraving on my CNC-mill - the spot size is nearly the same ... in 40mm focal distance I'm measuring spot diameters or engraved line-widths of around 0.05mm. The main difference is the power ;-)

    When testing with XY-galvoscanning with maybe 150mm focal distance, I've got a 'square' spot with roughly 0.4x0.1mm size ... this could be better when expanding the beam before focussing to 20mm or bigger, but then you'll need scanning mirrors for this size too ...

    Viktor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •