Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 445 amazing

Question, a couple people that have picked these diodes up from me have asked about correction optics. Does drlava keep them in stock and if not are there any other good alternatives that are?

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    Question, a couple people that have picked these diodes up from me have asked about correction optics. Does drlava keep them in stock and if not are there any other good alternatives that are?
    Drlava has stock yes, he has been quite responsive lately also. Took care of me on some parts I needed. The prisms work well also, i just prefer the less reflections of the lens. Dave will most likely be stocking Lens sets in both magnifications, not sure if he will be doing a GB or just stock them.

Also for those wondering what current this is currently running at I just measured it to be 2.148A

Also remember all these diodes can very but the power I am seeing isn't a rarity from the limited other tests I have scene done
    Last edited by polishedball; 07-08-2012 at 07:47.
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Drlava has stock yes, he has been quite responsive lately also. Took care of me on some parts I needed. The prisms work well also, i just prefer the less reflections of the lens. Dave will most likely be stocking Lens sets in both magnifications, not sure if he will be doing a GB or just stock them.

Also for those wondering what current this is currently running at I just measured it to be 2.148A

Also remember all these diodes can very but the power I am seeing isn't a rarity from the limited other tests I have scene done
    Are the basic 405-G2 optics suitable for using the setup in a single-diode projector, or are additional optics needed to get the beam to fit on a typical set of scanner mirrors?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Are the basic 405-G2 optics suitable for using the setup in a single-diode projector, or are additional optics needed to get the beam to fit on a typical set of scanner mirrors?
    I have been able to land most if not all of an uncorrected 445nm on scanner mirrors, esp if you go to the large mirrors. You'll just have more of a stripe than a dot if you don;t add, lens correction or prisms.
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    I have been able to land most if not all of an uncorrected 445nm on scanner mirrors, esp if you go to the large mirrors. You'll just have more of a stripe than a dot if you don;t add, lens correction or prisms.
    Maybe I'm thinking a bit too simple here, but would the beam be any better if you (deliberately) clipped it through a square or circular aperture? Or would the divergence catch up and still make a stripe in the far field?

I mean, with these diodes, you've got loads of power to squander, so "correcting" it by just taking the useful part of the beam could be a much cheaper and less fiddlesome option than using prisms or lenses.

i'll be happy st 2.5W corrected it is a nice beam. This is more power than my dual m-140 after all optics.
    I have a couple of questions. Based on all the available results of PO vs current for the m and the 9mm series diodes, the output of the m series is much closer than less than 1/2 of the 9mm output (2+ watts vs. your 2.5 watts). Also, your 3.4 W at a near room temperature 8 degrees C is the highest yet reported. I am afraid that this may be a rare diode?

I am about to order cyl lenses from Edmund for about $108/set. Don't know of any other vendors who stock and no reply from drlava.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    Maybe I'm thinking a bit too simple here, but would the beam be any better if you (deliberately) clipped it through a square or circular aperture? Or would the divergence catch up and still make a stripe in the far field?
    The beam that exits the aperture will have the same properties and divergence as the incident beam and you'll still end up with a stripe in the far field.

If you mask close to the diode ie within any real world projector you will just reduce the output power. The stripe and other far field noise can be removed with a spatial filter by masking at the FOCUS within the beam line. The divergence will be unchanged unless you alter the diameter of the beam exiting the optical train.
    If power really was no object then you could expand the beam and hence reduce the divergence and then just sample some fraction of it, like what will still fit on a scanner. This is a slick technique that I've used with an LS to extract 10% of the 532 output with pretty good beam parameters, leaving the remaining fat beam to be focused to pump another laser.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    If power really was no object then you could expand the beam and hence reduce the divergence and then just sample some fraction of it, like what will still fit on a scanner. This is a slick technique that I've used with an LS to extract 10% of the 532 output with pretty good beam parameters, leaving the remaining fat beam to be focused to pump another laser.
    That's exactly what I was talking about. The stripe is caused by the fact that it is a wide emitter, and you're basically imaging this wide emitter somewhere else (ideally, at infinity), and the only way you can improve on that without using anamorphics is by adding a matte. The downside of anamorphics is that they decrease your focal depth (er, I mean, increase your beam divergence), but matting doesn't have that problem. Since a matte effectively narrows your aperture, you trade image quality and focal depth for luminance.

I'm using cinematic terms here on purpose, since what we're doing is hardly any different, only a LOT smaller. Now wasting a lot of power to get a useful beam doesn't sound very attractive with expensive, low-power diodes, but if the cost of a single 9mm 445 plus matte is at the same price point as a dual Nichia 445, with cubes, anamorphics and all of the alignment gribbly-bits, I'd say go for the single 9mm. Easier to set up, more compact, and less that could go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    If you mask close to the diode ie within any real world projector you will just reduce the output power. The stripe and other far field noise can be removed with a spatial filter by masking at the FOCUS within the beam line. The divergence will be unchanged unless you alter the diameter of the beam exiting the optical train.
    I don't see a reason why you couldn't create an artificial focus through a 1:1 telescope. Just a set of lenses with the spatial filter right in the middle.