Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser Projector (Red, Green, Purple) "Laser 3D Party Light" from Spencer's

@James

How do I get LaserBoy to optimize my ild file like the 150optimize.ild on page 3 in this thread?

Thanx in advance

Hi BazookaBo!

Would you like to Skype?

I am james_laserboy.

Maybe you could open the file in LaserBoy and share your screen with me and we can figure out how to make it look as good as possible.

Probably the most important thing is to get all the segments in the right order for the shortest path. That's kinda' tricky.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

That would kick ass!

Ill add you and see if we are on at the same time like tomorrow evening, I'm in Sweden so a bit of a time difference.

In case anyone's interested, I posted a video of my current animation lineup to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drd8kk51vmM . Of course the video quality kinda sucks, but oh well. Any tips on getting good images/videos of these things? I put a piece of window tint over the aperture to make it a lot darker, and that seemed to help some, but the cameras just didn't seem to like it (the iphone camera turned out the best).

I also was a little bit worried about the open hole in front of the galvos, so I cut a small piece of thin plexi and taped it to the front plate. The image quality doesn't seem to suffer any from it, though it's just a little bit too thick, so it touches the galvo mount when mounted on the inside... so I have to keep the front screws slightly loose. I'll probably end up mounting it on the outside of the front plate anyway (so there's no way it could get detached and fall into the galvos). I just didn't have any good tape laying around that wouldn't look ugly on the outside of the case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3987.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	35953

DogP

DogP - I'm guessing your the same Dogp who is friends with Buffett? I'm here on PL digging up info to try to get red into my projector before MAGfest when I run across this thread, and low and behold... a friend of mine just converted a bunch of game company logos and a magfest image into frames for a show we're going to put together to run in a loop on LSX in the arcade this year.

I'm planning to bring my projector which has a 600mw 445nm and 400mw 532nm module in it run by Laser Show Xpress software. Also bringing up to 4 Technobeam fixtures, 2 Roboscan 1220 lights (they were there last year), 4 x 3' RGB LED bars and I am supposed to be getting 17 RGB Color Kinetics lights. Going to have to come up with some power supplies and cable adapters and all that for the CK lights. We're getting 33,000 square feet for the arcade room this year and it's going to be hard to fill it.

Small world and I'm impressed with the output from the Spencers projector!

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    DogP - I'm guessing your the same Dogp who is friends with Buffett? I'm here on PL digging up info to try to get red into my projector before MAGfest when I run across this thread, and low and behold... a friend of mine just converted a bunch of game company logos and a magfest image into frames for a show we're going to put together to run in a loop on LSX in the arcade this year.

I'm planning to bring my projector which has a 600mw 445nm and 400mw 532nm module in it run by Laser Show Xpress software. Also bringing up to 4 Technobeam fixtures, 2 Roboscan 1220 lights (they were there last year), 4 x 3' RGB LED bars and I am supposed to be getting 17 RGB Color Kinetics lights. Going to have to come up with some power supplies and cable adapters and all that for the CK lights. We're getting 33,000 square feet for the arcade room this year and it's going to be hard to fill it.

Small world and I'm impressed with the output from the Spencers projector!
    Yep... that's me! Cool to hear that you'll be bringing that stuff to MAGFest... I'll have to drop by, say hi, and check it out. If you want any of my art files, you're welcome to them. And I dunno how your system interfaces, but if you could run LazyMAME on it, I'll bet it'd be a hit.

DogP

Quote Originally Posted by DogP View Post
    In case anyone's interested, I posted a video of my current animation lineup to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drd8kk51vmM . Of course the video quality kinda sucks, but oh well. Any tips on getting good images/videos of these things? I put a piece of window tint over the aperture to make it a lot darker, and that seemed to help some, but the cameras just didn't seem to like it (the iphone camera turned out the best).
    DogP, I've really enjoyed this thread and I appreciate that you've taken the time to document all of your work on this unit! I may end up with one under the tree this year, in which case your thread will become infinitely more practical instead of just very interesting. :-)

Regarding photographing the shows... for stills, your best bet is a camera that has a manual mode so you can adjust the shutter speed and aperture yourself. I would choose a shutter speed in the 1/30 to 1/10 range or slower, depending on the refresh rate of the particular frame you are trying to photograph. Then, adjust the aperture to get a good looking image. Take a shot, and if the image is too dark, make the aperture number smaller. If the image is too bright, make the aperture number higher. Repeat until you get what you want.

Video is harder because all of the automagic brains of most consumer video cameras will fight you getting good images of something like lasers in the dark. Again your best bet is a manual mode on a mid-level camcorder, if you can borrow one. I am more in to stills lately and don't have a lot of specific tips for video; sorry.

I also live in N VA; if the wife goes for the projector idea for Christmas, I'd like to try to pick out a V2 version. Did you get yours a dulles town center, fair oaks, or somewhere else? Did they have a lot of stock?

For those that bought theirs online... did you get shipped a V1 or a V2 model?

Thanks for any shopping tips!

Cool... thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I've got a kinda cheap point and shoot... it does have a manual mode though, so I'll try tweaking the settings. I do have an old-ish DV camcorder too (Sony Handycam), maybe I'll give that a shot as well. I really should get a decent DSLR one of these days.

I picked mine up at the Manassas Mall (yes, there are still a few stores left in there )... they had quite a few in stock, though I didn't know anything about the different versions when I went in there, so I didn't see whether they were all new models, or if there were any old models as well. The girl behind the counter was very nice though, and she even opened it up and hooked it up for me, to verify it was fully working. So if you asked to check in the box for a specific model, they'd probably let you.

DogP

Cool, thanks DogP! Looks like I will have to wait until after the 25th to see if I need to make the trip myself or find out if someone beat me to it. Best scenario is someone already got me one and it's the right version, but we'll see. :-)

Any luck with your camera's manual mode?

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Cool, thanks DogP! Looks like I will have to wait until after the 25th to see if I need to make the trip myself or find out if someone beat me to it. Best scenario is someone already got me one and it's the right version, but we'll see. :-)

Any luck with your camera's manual mode?
    Cool... hopefully Santa picked out a good one for you.

No luck with my manual modes... I really should just get a good camera. Images in low light, close ups, close quarters... they all kinda suck with this camera. Unfortunately, that's pretty much what I'm always photographing.

DogP