Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate myself aka RIP:Labmaster

my labmaster has no SMT parts anywhere? regulator that failed was a TO92, 5v LDO regulator... (along with a 10uF 15v tantalum cap that went short after making that impressive cloud of smoke tantalum caps make... le sigh)

so I just wanted to add an update here

in the process of trying to find any information I created an account on coherent's website so I could find documentation... really could not find much but oh well I tried...

couple days later I get an email from a CSR at coherent asking if I had found the information I was looking for, explained to her my situation and she told me there was no service manual available but she would forward along my email to an engineer and see if they could help me...

so today I get an email from an engineer asking me which PCB it was so he can find the right schematics and possibly send them my way since the product is long discontinued!

I don't know what to do, I am not used to good customer relations from large companies?! lol

Did you ever get it fixed?

ended up talking to another engineer and apparently when coherent moved most of the stuff for these old meters was lost so not even coherent can fix them anymore... only document he could find related to my old LabMaster-E was the BOM lol

I did end up fixing mine though, I bought another LabMaster off ebay that was displaying a different error (which I correctly guessed was software related) pulled the power board out of that one and put it in mine, came up and worked perfectly!

and it agrees with my fieldmaster

I ended up fixing the original power board too after replacing the +5 regulator and a small 8 pin DIP switching regulator thats used for the -5V line MAX635ACPA... so now I have extra parts... I might try reading the EPROMs from the working meter and flash the EPROMs on the broken one see if I can revive it also

as a bonus the old one had a battery in it (which is long dead) so now I know what kind of battery I need for it (a 5 cell "C" size NiCD battery)

guy from coherent told me they sometimes offer trade-ins of old power meters towards new ones... almost considering taking the dead labmaster and trading it in for a labmax, going to see what they offer me for the dead labmaster...

so sexy

flecom,

Thanks for the great thread on repairing your Coherent Labmaster. It has helped me to sort out some problems I had with mine. However I still have a error message after the initial self test. I believe there is a problem with the EPROM. Is there anyway you can make a image of your eprom and post it?

BTW my error message is 0002/2.21R

Regards,

Kevin

I have that same code but somethimes it starts OK, other times fails. Any help out there? Phil

Code: 0002/2.21R
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I feel for ya brother.

I am working on a new invention called the "Oh Fuck Button".

It allows you to go back in time just 10 seconds. Handy for the "Oh Fuck" moments, just reach for the button and wham, your back just before the fatal moment.
    Side note: The professor built this EXACT device in the final episode of Futurama! Things did no go as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I am about to test my time machine, I'll get back to you yesterday.
    I went back in time to warn you about polarity via PM, did I save you?
    This space for rent.

Hi Phil, Kevin, Error 0002/2.21R relates to the input voltage being out of spec. I had this on my meter too. The problem went away when I hooked it up to my bench power supply and fed it exactly 9.0V. So check your plug packs & fit regulators as required.

Do you realise you're responding to a 4 year old thread?