Thread: Any interest in Opnext HL40023MG 405nm 500mW laser diodes?

Question Any interest in Opnext HL40023MG 405nm 500mW laser diodes?

I also have a number of these stupidly high power 405nm laser diodes. They're rated 400mW (or 500mW depending on what part of the data sheet you look at) and easily run >1W in my testing here. I think they are unused, but they come either as bare diodes pressed into a copper heat spreader or installed in a little module with a fixed collimating lens. Thorlabs gets $1155 for these in quantities of 11 or more! I'd be looking for around $200 ea. tested and guaranteed to make >1W. I'll post pictures if there's any interest.

http://www.thorlabs.com/thorProduct....mber=HL40023MG

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

two of those through a pbs cube making a couple of watts is *really* tempting. it looks like those are multimode. what sort of beam specs are you getting from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    I also have a number of these stupidly high power 405nm laser diodes. They're rated 400mW (or 500mW depending on what part of the data sheet you look at) and easily run >1W in my testing here. I think they are unused, but they come either as bare diodes pressed into a copper heat spreader or installed in a little module with a fixed collimating lens. Thorlabs gets $1155 for these in quantities of 11 or more! I'd be looking for around $200 ea. tested and guaranteed to make >1W. I'll post pictures if there's any interest.

http://www.thorlabs.com/thorProduct....mber=HL40023MG
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Thinking I am interested as well.

It also looks like they are case isolated!!

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Here are some pictures of the modules. You can see a copper plate about the size of a quarter which the diode is pressed into. There is a tiny stepper motor that rotates a block of AR coated glass to displace the beam left or right by a small amount. I recommend removing that to get just the collimated beam. I haven't measured divergence, but it is quite good and the lens seems very efficient for 405nm since the collimated units make nearly the same power as the bare diodes. There is a driver board on the modules which I have not been able to fully reverse engineer. I test these using a Flexmod. These will be individually tested and I'll document the current required for 1W output. I might be talked into doing a destructive test to see how hard these can be pushed.

$200 ea for the modules. $175 ea for just a diode pressed into the copper plate. $7.50 for insured UPS ground in the US. $38 for overseas EMS. I can also ship overseas by UPS or FedEx if you prefer. PM me for a quote or provide your account number. PayPal to paypal@junktronix.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dm-1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	35480 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dm-2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	35481 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dm-3.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	35482 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dm-4.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	35483

What the heck does that unit go into? That is a really interesting module

They came out of a prototype high-def, super high brightness video display. Here is the laser and optic deck that made up a single 320x240 pixel 'tile'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	platform-2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	35486

Do you still have any left? Have you done a spectral analysys on any?

Price Firm?

Interested..
    405nm (500-750mW) , 445nm 500 to 2750mW) , 473nm DPSS, 532nm DPSS (80 to 3000mW) & 635nm (250mW) OEM Lasers
    Visiblediodelasers.com

10% Off Website lasers for PL members - PM or E-mail me.

CW, TTL & Analog Modulation available
    Custom / Turnkey OEM systems available
    Laser Diode Power Supplies (CW & Modulated) to 4 Amps
    Beam-shaping optics available (Prism Pairs)
    NEW - Laser Diode / Heat sink Mounts

I still some here. Pretty firm on the price though I can offer a quantity discount. The modules have a very nice, 6mm dia. short focal length asphere collimator that's coated specifically for 405nm. It's epoxied in place, but I was able to remove it by applying heat to soften the adhesive. I'll check one with the OSA later today and let you know what I see.

Kevin

The unit I checked is running about 408nm at 400mA. See the attached spectral plot. The wavelength will be a bit higher when driven at 750mA, but I wasn't sure my OSA could handle any more power. They're reasonably narrow-band for multimode diodes.

I realized that these are probably *not* the Opnext parts since they have only 2 leads and the spec sheet for the Opnext shows 3. In any case, I test these before shipping and guarantee that they do >1W at 750mA. They typically max out at 1.2W at 1.0 amp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 405-1W-Spectrum.jpg