Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Themed Laser Show! ( Burns Night ) ANY IDEAS!?!?

Default Scottish Themed Laser Show! ( Burns Night ) ANY IDEAS!?!?

Hello - this is a weird one....
    A friend wants me to help out ( read: for free... he's a good mate so just this once.)with his Burns Night celebration - which for those of you who don't know is a celebratory evening in the UK in memory of the famous scottish poet Robert (Rabbie ) Burns.

It's an indoor event- I have Pango's Quickshow and a 5 watt RGB head.

There's alot going on through out the eve but he said could I do something like project the scottish flag as well as a bit of a freestyle beam show later on ( probably just freestyling cues to music in QS etc )

It's the scottish flag I was struggling with- tried to make it in the frame creator in QS- it looks pants as we obviously cant shade sections etc
    Could anyone help me out -please and thankyou - with some inspiration etc

I was thinking perhaps of scrolling some text from some of his more famous works....

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Dan

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Gidday,

Out of interest where are you located ? - your profile doesn't say.

Cheers,

N.

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonWelfare View Post
    Hello - this is a weird one....
    A friend wants me to help out ( read: for free... he's a good mate so just this once.)with his Burns Night celebration - which for those of you who don't know is a celebratory evening in the UK in memory of the famous scottish poet Robert (Rabbie ) Burns.

It's an indoor event- I have Pango's Quickshow and a 5 watt RGB head.

There's alot going on through out the eve but he said could I do something like project the scottish flag as well as a bit of a freestyle beam show later on ( probably just freestyling cues to music in QS etc )

It's the scottish flag I was struggling with- tried to make it in the frame creator in QS- it looks pants as we obviously cant shade sections etc
    Could anyone help me out -please and thankyou - with some inspiration etc

I was thinking perhaps of scrolling some text from some of his more famous works....

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Dan
    "The horizon leans forward offering you space, to place New steps of change"

London Village in Englandshire

You can shade sections. Use the paint roller tool.

It is dependant on points though as it shades from 1 point to the next so you need to make sure each section of your drawing has points separating it from the next.

Personally I'd find a Scottish flag and trace it.

Lightbulb

...Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    ..I'll see if I can dig this 'ol piper' I drew up..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pied100_3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	36542 ...a nice, slow 'draw-out', whilst pipe-music is playing, worked well for this gig, at least.. The file is not in QS-format, but I'll see what we can do to get it werkin... When's the gig?

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Woah! That's AMAZING! Thank you dsli_jon..... so very appreciated, but only if you have time mate. (event info below,)

Also Whitelight thanks for all your extremely useful advice lately - I was struggling with the point area selection element of the roller brush tool, getting somewhere useful with it now.

This is the event info below sounds quite interesting.

Friday, January 25, 2013.
    8:00pm until 3:00am.
    Secret Location in the tunnels of London Bridge
    Celebrate Burns Night in epic time travelling fashion in a secret 1800s venue with a host of entertainment from the future. This is the last week this incredible venue will exist – be part of history!

Drinking, dancing and performances from 8pm until very late. MUSIC: Party, Electroswing, Soul and Funk. DRESSCODE: Turn of the Century Vintage, Tweed, Highlands, Lace, Hunting, Ballroom, Tartan Trim.

Haggis, neeps and tatties served from 8pm. Whisky tasting and whisky cocktails. The Highland Games begin at 9pm with prizes to be won. The Tartan Trim team will spruce up your garbs if you're coming straight from work.

Through the night:

- Interactive performers bring Robert Burns' characters to life around you.. can you help them find the Red Red Rose?

- Address to the Haggis at 10pm

- Highlands burlesque performers

- Impromptu poetry recitals

- Prizes for best dressed guests

- Swing and Jitterbug lessons with a Highland twist for those that want them, all set to dirty party tunes

At 1am the debut of the Rabbie Burns All Stars live on stage.. don't miss this...

DJs and revelry until very late

January Detox? It's January 25th, you did it! This is your reward

£6 tickets on the door or in advance at http://electroburnsnight.eventbrite.com/ - be quick, we're expecting a capacity night and the last one was oversubscribed...
    Pictures from our recent events: http://on.fb.me/13dFXzG and http://www.smashedupsoiree.com

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Mmmmmm Whisky!!

Now you'd think I'd have a Scottish Flag frame.. but I'm afraid I don't.. sorry buddy.. but then not being actually Scottish (although apparently honory) I've never felt the need to make one.
    I have lots of Maori inspired frames though.. probably not much good to you!!

Scots flag however is not that complex, I'd think it wouldn't be too difficult to load into QS as a bitmap and trace it..

Good luck on the gig, sounds awesome!!

All the best,

Nige.
    "The horizon leans forward offering you space, to place New steps of change"

Woah! That's AMAZING! Thank you dsli_jon..... so very appreciated, but only if you have time mate. (event info below,)

Also Whitelight thanks for all your extremely useful advice lately - I was struggling with the point area selection element of the roller brush tool, getting somewhere useful with it now.
    When you want to paint a line go for the corner and find the 1st point on the side you want to paint. What happens is when you select a point with the roller tool, it selects the line between that and the next point along. If that doesn't select the whole line, move the roller further along until you have the whole line selected. If the selection is travelling in the wrong direction, then you need to start at the other corner of the line.

The main thing to remember with the paint roller tools is that you're painting by points and not lines so what happens when you put the tools over a point in the line is it colours the section between that point and the next one. Once you have grasped that concept you'll find it quite easy to accurately select individual lines. If at any point, there are so many points that you're struggling, use the zoom tool to increase the visible space between the points, then try again.

I have actually tried to trace the Scottish flag for you but haven't been able to find a suitable tracing subject as most on Google see to be borderless and you need a border to trace it successfully.

Cool

Whitelight. Good to know!

just had some more good news too...

The guy who has asked me to do they gig is extremely tech savvy (video mappJedijedi) he is aware of our particular set of limiting parameters when creating laser graphics- he just sent me this image he made. What a champ!

Quick traces pretty well on my lunch break with no projectactuallytaully see what it really looks like, but I'll probably try and clean up the image with live feedback by hand when i get home tonight.

I had to set it to '3separationperation' in Quicktrace -I can tell there's a lot of noise so will see what i get when i output it lhaven'tI havent tried hiseparationperation and a manual recolour but cant wait to get stuck in.

Am trying to get my head around the dark art of point pulling and ildasos so will experiment later and let you know how it goes.

Thanks so much again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scotsflaglaser.jpg  

Here you are.
    flag.zip

Static and waving.
    QS only.

750 points 40Hz @30kps