Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Projector Power Supplies

Default Projector Power Supplies

so looking to build a compact projector, but one big issue is the amount and size of switching mode power supplies.

dt scanners come with a big 24 v power supply and modules come with a big power supply.

there must be someone in the power that makes good quality small(ish) power supplies that i could use?

the next question is how to run scanners and modules off a single power supply in order to save space.

galvos run on 24v, a OEM 1w LW green runs on 5v @ 8amps (i think) and 12v @ not sure how many amps. you can buy a big 24v 15 amp PSU but its massive, but does have potential to run everything.

all good suggestions welcome
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Default try these

Hi Andy,

Here is a start.

These are supplies I bought for a mini projector.
    http://uk.farnell.com/xp-power/ecs25...cal/dp/1821521

They are 24v each not +- 24v so you need to use two.

The pics below show how small they are compared to the supply that comes with the DT40s

These supplies are rated at 25Watts each making 50watts. The original is rated at 35watts so they have enough power and then some.

+-24v supplies aren't that common and something like above is probably the go.

As for the 5v and 12 v. It's quiet possible you will find a single switch mode that has 5 and 12 v together.

RS and Farnell are a bit pricey but they make it easy to find what you need and have quick free shipping.

I went with XP Power on Dave's recommendation a while ago. They are nice quality and do have some quiet compact units and are reasonably priced.

You could buy cheaper but after doing quiet a lot of searching I found then to be a good balance of price quality and six.

Good luck
    Kit

P.S. I've got 3d models of these too but same problem as before. Have a chat to Dan about which software to look at where you can use solid models. I will make life a lot easier for handling models for your CNC too. IGES and STEP are the most universal format for machining parts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1781.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	38322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1782.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	38323

this is where my lack of electronics skills kicks in, 24v +-??? ill need two????
    by the time i have two it will be the same size as the original psu

a LW OEM green comes with a combined 5v/12v psu but its big.

it would be nice to run the green off the scanner psu, thats why i was looking at something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Lights...item232b44ffc3

but its bloody massive, it has 24v + and -, i think???

on the CAD thing i drew the dt scanners last night only took 10mins so all good cheers
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Yeah I'm in the I know enough to be dangerous category with my electrical/electronic knowledge too

That supply on the ebay link has the same problem. It's only 24volts +

I'm probably one of the least qualified to explain this but I'll have as go.

If a scanner is sitting still and the beam is pointing straight ahead the input signal from the scanner amp will be 0v.

If you ask it to scan all the way to the left, it will require up to 24v+.

When you want to scan all the way to the right, the amp needs to supply 24v-

That's why you need two.

Even with the two of those little 24v XP Power supplies, they take up less than a third of the volume. so you are till ahead.

i see thats a shitter, i didnt know that. i assuming when a psu reads 24v+ and then 24v- its all good but maybe not.

so really the scanners need a dedicated psu, thats another shitter as it rules out using one psu for the whole projector
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

this size would be good for all psu ;-)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/25W-1...628326824.html
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Yeah pretty much.

If you get the naked versions without their casings they can be pretty small. You just need to make sure that the have the proper clearance for cooling and insulation to keep the 240v ac from biting you.

Don't get disheartened. when you actually see some of these supplies in your hand they are tiny.

If you can post up a list of the voltage and current draw including the ones your not sure of yet, we can suggest a few models that will give the right combination in the most compact size.

One plus side to having multiple supplies is that you can tuck them in little spots that a larger one couldn't go.

well dt scanners so 24v

and LW 1w OEM just waiting for rob to confirm psu spec but i know its 5v and 12v

what about these, they seem any good from the spec? they are nice and small

http://www.micropowerdirect.com/Page...0ACDC%201.html
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

what would be good would be to put a big psu that outputs say 48v at 20amps and then use dc-dc convertors for scanners and module
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

That's how RGB lasersystems design their powersupplies
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/