Thread: driver heat question

Default driver heat question

Hey! I am new here and i have been spamming alot around on the site finding alot of answers but this time i havent been abel to find anything final i know its quite simple electronics but i just wanna be shure!

i have been mesuring on both the badip driver and the flexmod and when it sends 2 a out on the diode side it also uses 2 a between driver and power supply, in this case 12 v power supply, that means its using 24 w but sinse the diode dosent use 12v but less that sould mean that the rest is just becoming heat in the driver.. then i was wondering if i only give the driver 5 v 2 a and send out 2 a to the diode dose it then have a lower heat output from the driver?

Hope you get my drift and i would eksplain better but i am not that geat at english gramma or spelling for that matter hope you will bear with me!

Thanks!

Yes, It will have a lower heat output. I wish the guys who made the drivers would also put a max recommended total wattage out. I wouldn't run that fet over 45w or so. Don't forget that the forward voltage drop changes depending on the current. You also need to to have about 1.5v headroom above whatever the max forward voltage is for a given diode. In other words 5v would be too little for a blue diode, you would want to be a little above 6v.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Okay thanks!
    The blue uses 5 v it self right havent mesuret it
    What about the p73?