Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: LED strip ropes advice

This artnet bridge has to be run in the pc or mac ?
    No artnet support in the pixelpusher itself ?

Art-Net isn's really suitable for very large arrays. It has crappy synchronization semantics, isn't capable of power levelling, and has no usable autoconfiguration system for pixel arrays. It's also cripplingly inefficient with its limit of 512 variables per datagram. So no, we don't support Art-Net on the device itself.

Wakey wakey thread.
    Hi guys. I wonder if you can help me.
    I've got a space about 1 meter by 1 meter.
    It's for a festival food trading unit I have selling burritos.
    I can;t use lasers as festivals ban them for tarders :-(
    But I'd love an LED screen up there made from strips.

It has to be water proof (IP56)

I'd like it to play a mixture of video files, moving psycoldelic patterns and also logos.

I can bring a laptop or use SD card. What ever works.

Can anyone help me design a complete system (power/controller/connections/software) that will work as described above. I need it in 2 weeks from today for Glastonbury festival in England (19/06/2017).

I've got a nice looking stall at the moment but I'd like something like this as a center piece at the top to draw people in and catch their eye from across the field.

I've got added trussing I can use to make a square in the middle at the top protruding upwards 1 meter square.

Thanks for your help

Graham

Projector? Scrim? Put it under a tarp.

A projector projecting to a styrofoam letters is the least hassle and fastest option. A 5000 lumen large venue projector projecting to a 1x1 meter styrofoam will be plenty bright.

You can definitely cut RGB led strips into a letter shape you want, resolder the individual rows (or columns) of strips together then make a program or script that will take a video and rearrange the pixel locations to make up for the distances between letters and holes inside letters but that will take way longer to build. Then you might need a diffuser in front of the LEDs to make the coloring more even and not individual dots which a white thin plexiglass can be used for.
    There are some universal open source controllers that will take VGA or HDMI and convert it for the led strips. Pain in the ass and will probably cost you at least $1000 to build.
    And in the end you'll still have less resolution than projecting even with an ancient VGA resolution projector.

Hi guys thanks for replying/.

I don;t think I was clear about what I want to do.

Basically keep what I have already in the in the video.
    On the top of that structure make the trussing have an extra 1 meter by 1 meter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	52334

So I need a solution that will be placed into that square. Strips of LEDs that I can control via laptop or SD card.
    Preferably also the strips suspended in air and not stuck onto a back so that the wind will not be a problem.

I could even use 2 poles to suspend the strips, one either side and the strips attached to the 2 poles.

Thanks guys

Graham

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

piece of cake.

use one of these: http://www.heroicrobotics.com/products/pixelpusher

you can get them and leds here: http://www.illumn.com/pixelpusher-and-led-strips.html

(pixelpushers were developed by a photonlexicon member)

Quote Originally Posted by laserLips View Post
    Hi guys thanks for replying/.

I don;t think I was clear about what I want to do.

Basically keep what I have already in the in the video.
    On the top of that structure make the trussing have an extra 1 meter by 1 meter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	52334

So I need a solution that will be placed into that square. Strips of LEDs that I can control via laptop or SD card.
    Preferably also the strips suspended in air and not stuck onto a back so that the wind will not be a problem.

I could even use 2 poles to suspend the strips, one either side and the strips attached to the 2 poles.

Thanks guys

Graham
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

So to recap here's what I need.

A 1 meter by 1 meter matrix of LED strips which will be water proof.

Have a good resolution.

The matrix needs to be programmable and be able to lay videos, text etc.

I need to know which controllers and LED strips I can use taking into account the waterproof aspect.

Might want to contact Telmnstr here on the forum. He had a video wall at SELEM last year that he built all by himself. It was configurable into various sizes/shapes, but 1 meter square was definitely one of the possible formats.

If I remember correctly, he got the panels from China and they were very affordable...

Adam

Hello,

Can a "non-waterproof" LED stripe break because of the high humidity? Half of my stripe has stopped working recently and I'm thinking what could be the cause.

Thanks in advance!