Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Physics or Mobolazer Gurus...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Laser Physics or Mobolazer Gurus...

When removing a gas laser from a Mobolazer ML-10 beam table, there is a (maybe) 15 pin connector that goes from the back of the argon through the deck and to the electronics inside. Do I assume correctly it needs to stay with the Laser Physics laser? Or... should it stay with the beam table. If removing it, since some of the wires go into plastic snap in connectors (think Molex) along with other wires, do I just cut them?

Hints? Tips? Tricks?

Thx!

Photos? Is it tied to a separate circuit board? Where is the DMX and motor/actuator wiring tied back to?
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

I don't think it matters. It goes to an interlock relay, controlled by the Mobo key-switch to kill the laser, right? You may need to make a DB15 shorting plug to run the laser by itself. Then you could leave the one on the ML-10 in case the future owner needs it (or not). I may have the pinout somewhere.

I would probably not leave the db-15 connector attached to the Mobolazer. I would cut each wire one at a time & feed it out and label it with the corresponding pin # on the header in the Mobo. Then repeat for each wire, that way you could put it back if you wanted to in the future.You're going to need to reuse the header connector so I would cut the wires about midway leaving half with the DB-15 and half with the header. A trick I use when cutting up cables is to print numbered heatshrink on my dymo rhino labeler with the same number at both ends. Then I cut it in half and shrink one piece on each of the wires so I can not forget which wire goes where. If I know the signal carrried on the wire I also put the signal name in addition to the pin #. Makes it look like I know what I'm doing or something.

Keep in mind that the Laserphysics will not start once the db-15 is disconnected since it has the interlock connection from the Mobolazer. Also, the DB-15 carries 120 VAC from the Laserphysics to inside the Mobolazer. There is a transformer inside the Mobo that converts the 120 VAC to I think 15 VAC and then rectifies it to 15 (or 12??) VDC. You will then need to add a 120 VAC mains cord & fuse to the Mobolazer projector to power the DMX decoder section and the actuator drivers. If your laserphysics is 220v, it will still send 120v to the mobo just using one hot leg and the neutral.

I have the pinout for the DB-15 somewhere if you need it so that you can make a DB-15 interlock to operate the laserphysics once removed from the MOBO, but I don't remember if it is a simple jumper across pins or if it took 15V back from the MOBO to activate the interlock. I think it takes voltage back from the MOBO. Maybe someone else here's memory is clearer than mine.

Another alternative would be to get a DB-15 female to plug into the harness coming out of the projector. But it will be hard to solder a decent size (gauge) mains cord to the db-15 to feed the 120 VAC into the projector. Plus I don't really like the idea of line voltage through a data connector. It obviously is low enough current to work, since all the ML10s work that way, but then you will need a separately derived power source for your diodes to avoid drawing too much current through the DB-15. Two power cords would bother me and so I would go the first route.

What are you putting in place of the Argon? Single color or RGB? I have often thought of changing mine to RGB but I hate to hack it since it works well as is. Maybe if the Argon dies....

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    When removing a gas laser from a Mobolazer ML-10 beam table, there is a (maybe) 15 pin connector that goes from the back of the argon through the deck and to the electronics inside. Do I assume correctly it needs to stay with the Laser Physics laser? Or... should it stay with the beam table. If removing it, since some of the wires go into plastic snap in connectors (think Molex) along with other wires, do I just cut them?

Hints? Tips? Tricks?

Thx!
    Eric in New Orleans

Well... as this is going to become Photonbeams , I'm glad you answered. I may still want to hang on to the argon (or sell it) and wanted to make sure what that part needed to be left with - either the argon or the mobo.

In answer the question, the plan is for this to have a two watt green DPSS. I also wanted to know since I have another ML 10 with a non-working argon that I want to make a 2+ watt green for me - unless it's a simple fix that I'm having DZ look at either at SELEM or after SELEM. My third Mobo has a working 1 watt argon that I'm sort fo torn about. It works but... finding 220v can sometimes be a pain, and the damn fans on those things are so loud.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

That 15 pin connector usually needs more connections then just the relay. On some models voltages flowed both ways, plus the variable speed fan control was enabled to help with tube life.

NO, I no longer have the pinout.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Check with Jeff (RGB-Gas). He has successfully removed one of those Reliant Argons from a Mobolaser beam rail, and both are still functioning.

Adam

Default Mobolazer pinouts

Brad,

I have attached some hand drawn sketches from troubleshooting one of mine a few years ago. You probably want to get out your meter and double check what I did. I was troubleshooting a 110v ML10-300 and using a similiar Laser Physics 220v reliant for reference and measurements/comparisons.

Sorry about the poor quality of the drawings but it is all I have. Hope it is of some help to you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-19_12-53-51_751.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	744.5 KB 
ID:	39301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-19_13-32-33_478.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	856.0 KB 
ID:	39300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-19_13-31-50_483.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	592.7 KB 
ID:	39302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-19_13-33-21_651.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	620.5 KB 
ID:	39303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-09-10_20-03-32_240 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	39304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-09-10_20-06-42_157.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	674.0 KB 
ID:	39305
    Eric in New Orleans

Thank you very much, Eric. All information is helpful.

Default DB-15 at Mobolazer End

Brad,

The previous attachments were wiring for the DB-15 at the Laser Physics end. I have attached wiring for the DB-15 at the Mobolazer end. I still recommend that you verify what I had sketched.

Eric

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB-15 connections to PCB INSIDE Mobolazer.pdf 
Views:	63 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	39309
    Eric in New Orleans