Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy projector components...

Default Where to buy projector components...

So do you guys have favorite places to buy components for building projectors? I don't really know where to start.

depends on what you want

I started by reading as much of PL as I can (still wading my way through). Then I went to UKLEM and watched how these guys do it properly. More reading, trying to figure out what I think I might want from my projector (in my case, low power, tight beam, wide scan angle, good repeatability).

When it comes to components there are loads of people on PL that build or supply kit. It might take a while to sort the wheat from the chaff but you will find the good kit sells itself. There are group buys organised by members here, which, if the component suits your needs, will probably be well rated (otherwise it wouldn't get enough support to become a GB).

Of course, budget may be an issue. Personally I NEED certain specs and am going to try and build my projector as cheaply as I can with these in mind while also considering reliability.

I've been a member here for about 3 months and haven't decided on ANY components. I have a desire to use one of Rob Stanwax's shoebox laser cases and other components, especially his electronics, like colour correction board and axis flip. Other than that, I've only really narrowed down laser choice to single mode (IF I can afford it).

My first build was a single colour green cobbled together using bits and bobs from broken lasers and Chinese galvos from ebay. The great thing about doing this is that it's cheap and if you mess something up, it doesn't really matter. My first projector however, got be utterly hooked on lasers!

I'm sure there will be some better advice from far more experienced members but I wish you luck. You're gonna love it!

Keith

Agreed, wading through a forum takes a while but worth it, just follow clues you pick up. Can't stand Dungeons and Dragons, role playing games, but I guess the logic is similar. Pick up clues to stuff you want to do, like finding magic keys hidden in walls. What you don't understand now, you might later, etc... Kind of fun when it does real stuff.

For now, some of the places I know as first-look for anything you might want:
    Dave's LaserShowParts store.
    DTR's diode shop.
    Stanwax.
    Googling any of those usually gets you there fast, directly. There will be plenty I don't know, like sources of lenses I haven't yet found, so if anyone wants to add to the list, go for it. But NOT self-advertising. Keep this general, known sources that have stood the test of time, that most people go to for this stuff.

I've been watching youtube videos and reading threads. I have to stop myself. I tend to hyper-focus and then can't get any actual work done. I've learned that Red is either ugly, dark or expensive. Green likes to couple output to temperature. And Blue, well, we love blue. I also learned about a rather Rube Goldberg-esque machine to generate a pretty yellow line.

You'll do ok. That's about as good a summing up of first impressions as I've ever seen. More than half the battle is never losing sight of the big picture, and you look like you'll be good at keeping that together.

Some obvious:

http://www.aixiz.com/store/
    http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fl...tuf-67118.html
    Flexmod site is down at the moment - Dr Lava stuff

I'm putting a parts list together myself and these sites were also suggested:

http://ether-dream.com
    http://www.ctlasers-store.com/
    http://shop.z-bolt.com/Heat-Sink-for...ules_p_13.html

maybe those will help you.

Quote Originally Posted by icecruncher View Post
    Snip
    Flexmod site is down at the moment - Dr Lava stuff
    Ahh, that's interesting. I've been waiting for confirmation of an order for 3 weeks - may explain things?

Silentgloves - Sounds like you are a little like me in the focussing on the minutiae of things. I'm actually buying bits and pieces to build a lumia projector while I learn enough for my 'big build'.

Planters has put together some excellent videos which I have just discovered. He is very knowledgeable and explains things rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    Planters has put together some excellent videos which I have just discovered. He is very knowledgeable and explains things rather well.
    Yes, watched all of planters' vids. Very interesting. Wish there were more.

I'd suggest just starting with a single color. Grab a 5mw red diode and experiment. As you get more comfortable move up to add other colors and more power. Until you KNOW lasers DON'T play with higher powers.