Thread: Traveling with my laser...

Thumbs up Traveling with my laser...

Hi! I was wondering if you can take a 1w laser in a flight case with you on an airplane without having issues with security.

i wouldn't say you're not going to have issues.
    Lesser minds are threatened by the unknown lol..
    just treat it like a laptop, take it out of its case put it on the belt let them x-ray it.
    im sure they will pull you to the side lol

Do you mean on the plane or in the hold, obviously the hand luggage will need to be the right size. But in the hold, I would make sure it's packed well in the flight case, i.e. is not banging around in there.

Can't see there being a problem with security though, but maybe have it packed well in case they want it in the hold and don't let you board with it.

Where are you travelling with it?

I don't think it will work.

The security check will suggust you to consign for shipment.
    L.A.S.E.R.
    Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

Laser system: Pure Diode 3W & 6W RGB Laser.

www.facebook.com/saifer.sy
    www.laser-viva.com

I used to travel with hene laser tubes, solid state lasers for barcode scanners, parts of barcode scanners and so on in a big abs flightcase. I paid a tickets for the flightcase however.
    I never experienced any trouble. Not even on flights from europe to canada and the states.
    Trying to create a good diode mount....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jnasser View Post
    Hi! I was wondering if you can take a 1w laser in a flight case with you on an airplane without having issues with security.
    Where will you be flying to/from?

In the US, the Transportation Safety Authority may ask you to un-box it for them, and it will have to go through the X-ray machine, but otherwise you should be fine. I know several people who have flown with small projectors as their carry-on item. (People do this for SELEM all the time.) Just make sure it's small enough to fit under the seat or in one of the overhead bins and you're OK. (Check with the airline to find out the maximum size for carry-on items, and remember that this information is PLANE-specific.)

I have less experience with international flights, but the two people I know of who did fly with their projectors on an international flight also had no problems. However, they could not explain what a "laser projector" was to the airport staff at their destination. The airport people just didn't get it. In the end, the security people asked, "Is it like a video projector?", and they answered yes, and that was that. So this might be something to keep in mind. If you can't get them to understand what this magic box of electronics is for, just tell them it's like a video projector...

As others have said - if you put it in your checked baggage, you won't have any issues at all - but you'd better make sure it's packaged well, as it will get bounced around quite a bit more that way.

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If your not a regular flier, put it in checked luggage in a flight case. It must be ready to go into the hold anyways. The gate Person or the flight attendant can ask you to stow it below if the flight is crowded. The airlines all publish a standard dimension fort carry on gear. You have to be smaller.

TSA at a small airport may actually ask you to run it.

I fly every week.

Steve

Once I flew from US->UK UK->Spain and Spain->US with a 1W RGB in a pelican 1510 case as a carry-on. Did not have any problems at all. The only time I had to check it was a short domestic flight in Spain with a particular airline that has an extremely scant carry-on allowance. I think the only time I had to open the case for security was on the return flight to the US landing in Newark, NJ.

The only comment I got from security at Newark was about my midi controller: "Oh hey! Nice Motherboard!"

I've taken my 1W blue laser pointer on with me a number of times with no problems. TSA likes to scan it outside the briefcase, but that's it. I say it's an alignment laser.

Some friend also like that get laser in their hand luggage ,then it will avoid some trouble when in the customs ,and you also need to make well shipping PI like shipping name and shipping value .Whatever it is ,I know friends get laser is easily .Or u also can think about making one flightcase but like hand luggage,u can get it easily ,I think .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnasser View Post