Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drive currents for 9mm 445 and Mitsu P73

Default Drive currents for 9mm 445 and Mitsu P73

Hi all,
    Just wondering what the latest general consensus is for driving the 9mm 445s and the Mitsu P73s. We've all been overdriving these pups with fairly good luck .. anybody popped one yet w/ too much current? I'm planning on ambient use (no TECs) of 20-30°C . Been scouring the threads for info and found basically 2.2A is good for the 9mm 445 for an output of 2+ W, and a P73 can be driven at 1A for an output of about 900mW . Do these numbers concur with you all, or am I way off base : too conservative or too high?
    Not talking about extreme overdrive, just good solid numbers for "everyday use" and fairly good reliability.
    -edit- Also the PLTB450 450nm blue diodes seem to be gaining in popularity.. Are these 1.5W still or have they been pushed hard and now performing better then the 9mm 445s (beam wise, power wise or both?)
    Thanks in advance :]
    -S
    Last edited by steve-o; 01-20-2014 at 09:57.

I've had good luck driving two Nichia 9mm 445s with a single flexmod, and giving them everything the flexmod can handle. We're actually frying the drivers before the diodes

That being said, check here, specifically:

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Also for those wondering what current this is currently running at I just measured it to be 2.148A
    Also, my 2x 6-diode 445nm projectors (all 9mm 445s running at full tilt off of 3x flexmods) are conduction cooled to the optical plate, which is cooled by convection only (inverted optical deck, so the reverse side of the optical plate is exposed to outside ambient air). It gets HOT to the touch (I've often thought of using it to keep my cup of coffee warm at gigs that run until sunrise), but I've never had thermal issues with the diodes. As far as I can tell, the Nichia 445s are tough as nails.
    Neat!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

maybe the outside surface of the plate should have fins, fans, and an indent for your coffee mug.

Quote Originally Posted by laserlackey View Post
    I've had good luck driving two Nichia 9mm 445s with a single flexmod, and giving them everything the flexmod can handle. We're actually frying the drivers before the diodes

That being said, check here, specifically:

Also, my 2x 6-diode 445nm projectors (all 9mm 445s running at full tilt off of 3x flexmods) are conduction cooled to the optical plate, which is cooled by convection only (inverted optical deck, so the reverse side of the optical plate is exposed to outside ambient air). It gets HOT to the touch (I've often thought of using it to keep my cup of coffee warm at gigs that run until sunrise), but I've never had thermal issues with the diodes. As far as I can tell, the Nichia 445s are tough as nails.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    -edit- Also the PLTB450 450nm blue diodes seem to be gaining in popularity.. Are these 1.5W still or have they been pushed hard and now performing better then the 9mm 445s (beam wise, power wise or both?)
    Thanks in advance :]
    -S
    The new one is the 1.6W rated PLTB450B. Here is the testing I did on it. Not sure yet what would be best for long life but it did go past 2W and some have reported even higher numbers one over 2.5W.
    http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/os...ode-87402.html

Thanks Laserlackey. PB's 2.148A sounds good.
    Somehow a coffee mug sitting on top of electronic laser equipment makes me feel unnerved

-edit-
    Just got your post DTR. Hmm.. a choice between the 9mm or the better beam (?) of the Osram 450. Anybody got side-by-side comparisons? I looked at 445/450 side by side once a while back and didn't see any real brightness or color difference..
    Last edited by steve-o; 01-20-2014 at 11:08.

.. anybody popped one yet w/ too much current?
    ... an erroneus switched current of 3.2Amps was only lasting for 2 seconds!

But there's some hope to reactivate the diode again with opening the case and reconnecting the partially evaporated bonding wires ;-)))

Viktor

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... an erroneus switched current of 3.2Amps was only lasting for 2 seconds!

But there's some hope to reactivate the diode again with opening the case and reconnecting the partially evaporated bonding wires ;-)))

Viktor
    Woah.. built-in fuse, huh? Cool

aren't fuses supposed to be user serviceable?

Woah.. built-in fuse, huh? Cool
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

... but this 2 seconds 'lifetime' at >3Amps opens really interesting possibilities!

Imagine my 6x445nm-head equipped with the 9mm-diodes and pulsing some ms long bursts with enough pauses to prevent evaporating of the wires !!!

Someone interested in home-DIY-fusion or redoing the 'death-star' main weapon with blue instead of green ;-)))

Viktor

i'm on it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10x445-swami.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	41959

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... but this 2 seconds 'lifetime' at >3Amps opens really interesting possibilities!

Imagine my 6x445nm-head equipped with the 9mm-diodes and pulsing some ms long bursts with enough pauses to prevent evaporating of the wires !!!

Someone interested in home-DIY-fusion or redoing the 'death-star' main weapon with blue instead of green ;-)))

Viktor