Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneak Peek - Introducing Maxwell - A software laser synth (analogish)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFang View Post

Oh... and one other BIG issue with supporting other DACs - is that I would have to own or test with the particular DAC in question... so this is where I would REALLY need the support of the DAC manufacturers... With the price-point of Maxwell, I can't go purchasing all possible DACs out there...
    BlueFang, If your willing to invest the time to make it work, I can send you my QM2K. I'm sure Pangolin will provide you with what you need on the programming side. Let me know, I'd be happy to send it over and can just get it back from you at SELEM. I'd love to play with Maxwell but the QM2K is likely the only DAC I'll ever own.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Payment sent. Looking forward to checking it out.
    PM Sent...

Hey, BlueFang!

If you want to enable use with the Medialas DAC, I'm happy to lend you one. They have a published SDK or they use the generic ftdi one as I recall.

Just let me know if it's desired and I'll bring it to SELEM with me.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

What about sound card DACs? I think that is still a way to get in the game for a lot of people.

Also, have you thought about adding the ability to display test frames? I think this would be super handy if this was the only software I was using to do a show.

-Sal

Quote Originally Posted by discothefunkyhippo View Post
    What about sound card DACs? I think that is still a way to get in the game for a lot of people.

-Sal
    That would be interesting! No frames involved, just a continuous stream of data, the way abstracts were meant to be. If you decide to add sound card dac support, add asio support as well, then Maxwell would be in the same league as Digisynth.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    That would be interesting! No frames involved, just a continuous stream of data, the way abstracts were meant to be. If you decide to add sound card dac support, add asio support as well, then Maxwell would be in the same league as Digisynth.
    This has been in the back of my mind since day 1 of starting this little project - especially since Max/MSP is already a highly developed sound generation platform. I can make no promises, but yes, I think something like that would be super cool - and freeing me from the limitations of "frames" would be awesome.

Very keen on the sound card DAC idea! That would be awesome!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Ok PC guys... you are being out Maxwell'ed by Mac users by 3 to 2... So much for the conventional wisdom that no one uses a Mac for lasers...

Granted, Maxwell was picked up on a VJ forum, and a lot of those guys expect visual software to run on OS X.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFang View Post
    Ok PC guys... you are being out Maxwell'ed by Mac users by 3 to 2... So much for the conventional wisdom that no one uses a Mac for lasers...

Granted, Maxwell was picked up on a VJ forum, and a lot of those guys expect visual software to run on OS X.
    I haven't had a chance to pick up a copy of it from you yet and I also have no way to output to laser yet. Looking at an etherdream in the next few weeks. I'm gettin' there, I'm gettin' there!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Maxwell is gonna be getting even more swirly...

One of the biggest request so far has been to expand beyond the shapes of synced Lissajous curves (synced meaning the amplitude and phase were synced to the current frame) - Here are a couple of short screen-caps from recent attempts to incorporate these features into Maxwell.

I am liking the results so far... as with most of the development so far, the technical aspects are easy to solve - figuring out appropriate UI control elements - that is the hard part.

What ya think? Want even more swirls? I do!